Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So many English teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cradler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: So many English teachers Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to post this, because I never found this information when I was researching Chile before moving there to find work. There is a LOT of work, if giving private lessons for a language institute is what you are looking for. Many institutes don't pay for your travel time or prep, although there are exceptions.

The thing that shocked me was the immense number of English teachers in Santiago.There is an institute on every other corner in Providencia. I once went to a hostel at the beach, and everyone who was staying there was an English teacher. On the bus ride home I sat next to a Chilean teacher of English.

I have taught in two other countries in South America, (Uruguay and Venezuela) and I was shocked by the contrast. I usually make a better salary outside of my job with private lessons, but I found Santiago super intimidating in its competition for clients. I am just not used to having to hustle- in Venezuela I actually didn't know any English speakers besides my boss, and in Uruguay the only other English teachers I knew were the ones I worked with. I never had to compete for clients and I always had more work than I wanted.

Also, the visa is now prohibitively expensive in my opinion. It changed right after my arrival in March 2015.

I had a fantastic time in Chile. There are English-Spanish intercambios almost every night of the week at different bars, great dance parties, art shows, hiking clubs, and excellent food. If you are just looking to travel and have fun while teaching English, you will love it there. The industry is designed for backpackers. I was looking for a job like I've had in the past, full-time with a decent salary, and I think it would have taken me a year to find something like that. Instead, I found one in Mexico, and I'm there now.

I have to get back there some day, there is so much more to see. Hope your experience in Chile is everything you're looking for. It's a great place to live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: