Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help! I've got a job offer in Huaihua!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuliuchiba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One factor that curiously no one has mentioned so far is that it's 16 hours teaching high school. This means, in my experience, overcrowded classes full of rowdy, unbehaved students who don't want to be there. Yes, I know that college students don't want to be there, either, but at least at that point most of them have matured enough that they don't treat every class like a zoo. You'll be dealing a classroom full of bored teenagers who don't care about your class because it's not on the Gaokao and therefore not worth studying for, and who expect it to be the Foreign Teacher Playtime Hour. Most uni jobs pay the same amount for the same hours, but the student situation will be very different and much less stressful.
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuliuchiba wrote:
One factor that curiously no one has mentioned so far is that it's 16 hours teaching high school. This means, in my experience, overcrowded classes full of rowdy, unbehaved students who don't want to be there. Yes, I know that college students don't want to be there, either, but at least at that point most of them have matured enough that they don't treat every class like a zoo. You'll be dealing a classroom full of bored teenagers who don't care about your class because it's not on the Gaokao and therefore not worth studying for, and who expect it to be the Foreign Teacher Playtime Hour. Most uni jobs pay the same amount for the same hours, but the student situation will be very different and much less stressful.

Ok wow, thanks wuliuchiba. I appreciate being told something I don't necessarily want to hear. Is this how it will be is it? As I said earlier in this thread, I thought Chinese students were well-behaved and studious :/
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I thought I'd update you all on this.

I had a long and hard think about this particular job offer, and did a lot of research as well. I came very close to taking it. Ultimately, however, I came to the conclusion that I've never had to teach a classroom in my life, and that therefore a CELTA qualification would be extremely helpful for my students and myself before I embark on any employment in this field. Furthermore, all the research I've done revealed that, although CELTA is difficult and expensive, almost no one who has done it failed to get something worthwhile out of it.

I understand many of you were recommending I give teaching a shot with a simple TEFL first, however I'm quite sure this is what I want to do for perhaps 5+ years, and in that case I may as well get my CELTA now.

Therefore, I'm going to enrol in a CELTA course here in Sydney commencing at the end of this month. I will be kicking around here again in no time, no doubt posting about my next job offer post-CELTA.

Thank you all so much, see you soon.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds well thought out - good luck!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztobeyond wrote:
I came to the conclusion that I've never had to teach a classroom in my life, and that therefore a CELTA qualification would be extremely helpful for my students and myself before I embark on any employment in this field.

Smart decision. So many others kick themselves for not taking this route.

Good luck with your training!
Brunouno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztobeyond wrote:
Hi guys,

I thought I'd update you all on this.

I had a long and hard think about this particular job offer, and did a lot of research as well. I came very close to taking it. Ultimately, however, I came to the conclusion that I've never had to teach a classroom in my life, and that therefore a CELTA qualification would be extremely helpful for my students and myself before I embark on any employment in this field. Furthermore, all the research I've done revealed that, although CELTA is difficult and expensive, almost no one who has done it failed to get something worthwhile out of it.

I understand many of you were recommending I give teaching a shot with a simple TEFL first, however I'm quite sure this is what I want to do for perhaps 5+ years, and in that case I may as well get my CELTA now.

Therefore, I'm going to enrol in a CELTA course here in Sydney commencing at the end of this month. I will be kicking around here again in no time, no doubt posting about my next job offer post-CELTA.

Thank you all so much, see you soon.

Why do the CELTA in Australia? It's one of the most expensive places in the world to do the course. It works out cheaper to fly to Thailand and do one of the all-inclusive CELTA courses. I know I would rather do my course at a resort for less money than in ripoff Australia Cool
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Thailand is quite cheap, thanks I'll keep that in mind. Almost everything is expensive in Australia, though (luckily so are the wages).
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also do the Trinity Cert TESOL (considered equivalent to CELTA) at IALF in Denpasar, Bali, for about the same price as a CELTA in Thailand (or Vietnam, etc). The biggest downside to this course is availability - I believe it is only offered three or four times a year, if I'm not mistaken.

http://tesolbali.com/
Oztobeyond

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give an update for you all.

I have completed my first week of CELTA at International House here in Sydney.

It took me a good part of the week to get into the swing of things, but now I'm well and truly not only settled in but excited by the learning opportunities and challenges entailed in this course. The more I get into it the surer I am that I'm in a field that I am passionate about.

CELTA I can see is of an extremely high standard. The way they plunge you into the deep end (my first extended interaction with a class [20 mins] was on day 1, my first teaching practice lesson [40 mins] was on day 2!) shocked me at first but now I see it's the best way to do it!

The timetabled period for my course is the 31st of August through to the 25th of September. If anyone knows an employer looking for a young, passionate 24 year old male English graduate who is CELTA qualified and who can start after this date please inbox me! I'm open to almost any posting worldwide.

Thanks everyone Smile Very Happy
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about par for the course with TEFL. The are a legion of stories of teachers staggering off the plane, hung over, jet lagged, and disoriented only to be picked up by their school and told their first class is in 10 minutes.

Teaching on your first day of your tefl course is good practice for you!
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
I would guess that Huaihua is an area where attracting foreigners is not very easy. You may not have many fellow English speaking foreigners to socialize with or vent after a frustrating China day. That's something to think about.

I don't understand why it's that important to have other foreigners around just for the sake of having other foreigners around. I just finished working in a small city in Xinjiang for two years, and for the last six months of that time I was actually the only foreigner in the whole city. By that time, I developed a lot of friendships with locals.

Now, I live in a slightly bigger city, but all of the foreigners around are not my kind of people - All of them are evangelical Christians and extremely conservative. I wouldn't trade my close Chinese friends for them. Quality companionship is more important than a white or black face.
3701 W.119th

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
but all of the foreigners around are not my kind of people

Nailed it.

Met quite a lot of foreigners - (I still cringe at that word) - in China during my year and a bit, but I'd only consider probably 2 of them to be genuine friend-material, the kind of people I'd be close with back home.

You quickly discern the 'token foreign friend' from the real friendships, with Chinese. Once you're in their circle, you're a friend for life. They're incredibly kind and giving, once you're 'in' with them, and the cultural difference when it comes to friendship is perfectly understandable.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3701 W.119th wrote:
wawaguagua wrote:
but all of the foreigners around are not my kind of people

Nailed it.

Met quite a lot of foreigners - (I still cringe at that word) - in China during my year and a bit, but I'd only consider probably 2 of them to be genuine friend-material, the kind of people I'd be close with back home.

You quickly discern the 'token foreign friend' from the real friendships, with Chinese. Once you're in their circle, you're a friend for life. They're incredibly kind and giving, once you're 'in' with them, and the cultural difference when it comes to friendship is perfectly understandable.

Right. The only times I feel a bit left out with the locals is during occasions where they display in-your-face nationalism (such as that Anti-Japanese War military parade thing last month), but even then my best friends don't really even case about that kind of thing and wouldn't bring it up around me unless I asked them about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: