Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parent seeking employement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Parent seeking employement Reply with quote

Hi
I'm looking to change countries as, basically, I can't save anything on Turkish wages
I saw a post that said even unqualified teachers can earn 20,000 LE (double what I currently earn which would allow me to save do an online PGCEi). Is that true?
As I'm CELTA qualified with a 4 yr BA Hons (UK) and a native speaker, what are my chances of landing a decent job in, say, an international school in Cairo? I have also spent the last 4 years implementing and teaching CIE English 1st language in middle school and the top of primary
If it is possible, what kind of package do they tend to offer? (free school place for my kid? accommodation? flights?)
Oh and last, but not least, I'm a single parent-would that be a legal hassle?
Any thoughts/advice gratefully received
PS excuse any typos Laughing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Parent seeking employement Reply with quote

delal wrote:
I saw a post that said even unqualified teachers can earn 20,000 LE (double what I currently earn which would allow me to save do an online PGCEi). Is that true?

As I'm CELTA qualified with a 4 yr BA Hons (UK) and a native speaker, what are my chances of landing a decent job in, say, an international school in Cairo? I have also spent the last 4 years implementing and teaching CIE English 1st language in middle school and the top of primary.

A look at half a dozen current ads indicates a relevant degree + teaching license/qualification and western curriculum experience for the better-paying teaching positions.

Have you considered China or Korea?
delal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you, nomad soul
You're right of course.In fact, as it's time to finally do a PGCEi ,I could have a look at Hong Kong or Shanghai then... Or maybe Singapore (for the face-toface component of the course). (I was accepted on the Istanbul cohort and had even secured funding from my current employer, but the Istanbul cohort was cancelled-cosmic joke?)
I don't yet have a mainstream teaching cert, but I do have lots of British curriculum experience-1st KS2/3 English 1st lang and now CIE Eng 1st lang (the intl version of the British curriculum). I am basically the Middle School English 1st lang dept
Laughing
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bachelor's degree and two years of experience are sufficient for a work permit. The possibility of a decent package is realistic. Flights aren't typically included as most hiring is done in-country, although you could negotiate vacation flights or airfare for your return home at the end of your contract. Don't count on free tuition, but you could certainly negotiate a decent amount - and 50% is typical. Some schools have on-site housing. Others contribute a stipend toward a flat. Housing isn't guaranteed, but it's not out of the question. There are lots of divorced (always divorced, never single) moms here. Just make sure you have the father's permission for the child to travel as it will be necessary for the child's visa.

This is the tail end of hiring season; school starts 9/27.
delal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: