Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone teaching in Hungary, Budapest??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: anyone teaching in Hungary, Budapest?? Reply with quote

I was wondering what some ESL teachers experiences have been teaching in Hungary, Budapest?

- How is the pay?
- Is the rent expensive?
- Is it possible to live well on a teachers salary?
- How long have you been teaching there?
- How is it working at thee schools in general? Do you like it?

Thank you[/list][/list]
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I am also interested in Budapest. I visited there this summer and fell in love with the place - I am an EU citizen.

What is the ave salaries for teachers in the city? Is it possible to net 300.000 huf? Also does anyone know the English Institute? They seem to have ads out always and wanted to knw their salary.

Thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with Hungarian teachers (there are six in my class today, in fact). The economy is struggling and pay rates are generally very low. It's not an EFL mecca (English is taught very capably by qualified locals in state schools). Outside of one specific volunteer organization, not really an option at all for non-EU teachers.

Elliot might find something, but it's unlikely to be well paid.
inotu would need to pay for the volunteer opportunity which comes with a visa; otherwise chances are very near zero.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:

What is the ave salaries for teachers in the city? Is it possible to net 300.000 huf?

Zero chance.

600-800 euros is what you're looking at with 800euros being the top wage, while working the maximum hours that you'd want to.

You can get work in "International" Kindergartens that will pay at most 180k and that's only because you are native where as the local qualified Hungarian teachers will be on a lot less than that.

Also note that while Hungary is not in the Euro, the majority of rental properties that you'll be looking at will charge in Euros due to their mortgages being in Euros. While wages have barely risen in the last 5 years, rents have and the forint has dived in comparison to the Euro. When I first moved it was around 256, now it's up to 310.

Quote:
Is the rent expensive?

Last 2/3 years Budapest has changed somewhat on two fronts;

International students
Tourism.

As a result, you have people renting flats out for a week at a time to tourists and international students thinking 300 euros in the centre of town is a bargain.

250 euros all bills in included for a one bedroom flat, maybe with a gallery is what you'll be looking at paying. You can get cheaper than this though if you are willing to compromise on location/space/a decent gas cooker etc etc.. Look for flats in district 9 and district V, VI and VII are way to expensive now.

Quote:
Is it possible to live well on a teachers salary?

Always a difficult question to answer as everyone has different vices and out goings. The best thing about living in Hungary though is the options of holidays to you. Ukraine to the east is extremely cheap, I spent 50 euros in 4 nights there. Austria to the west is somewhat more expensive. You can go south to the Balkans which surprisingly were a little bit more expensive than Hungary. Yes, you should have enough money to travel on your holidays.

Quote:
How long have you been teaching there?

I lived there for 3 years on and off, I tried to leave now and again due to the job opportunities within ESL, but the city kept drawing me back! I actually worked in Germany/Austria though on summer/winter camps and would crossed the boarder on Sunday and returned on Friday with Euros in my pocket twice a month. A tiring lifestyle and not for everyone and cost me a couple of girlfriends being a way for a week.

There is work at private institutions here, last I heard you'll get paid 2,600 forints for a 45 minute lesson. Private lessons are the way to go though as depending on how rich the person is in question you can get away with charging up to 5k forints for 45 minutes.

You won't starve here, but you won't be saving up to fund any worldwide travelling trips. The only way I've managed to travel to South America is after working summer camps in England at an 8 week bloc.

Like most other countries, you'll need 2 months deposit for rent as well as the first month, so you need a fair bit of money to start out as it'll take at least a month to;

1) build up a decent amount of hours
2) getting paid monthly.

Of course like everywhere else in Europe the bare minimum is a CELTA and you'll be required to give a demo lesson.

Fantastic city though, but I can only see it getting more expensive, it's very popular at the moment with tourists, but I can only see its popularity growing Sad. I remember 5 years ago when it'd be rare to hear someone speak English in the streets unless it was an Irish vet student. Now it's rare to hear someone speak Hungarian in the centre.
Seibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to speak with a non-EU teacher that has self-sponsored. It looks like a red tape nightmare (having come from Asia) .

Any advice on the application process and the issuing of invoices to schools would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: