Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1300 USD in Warsaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
And therein lies the problem. No-one got into EFL to work this/her ass off. When you have to get up at 5.30 to do business classes, you don't have a LIFE.

What's new about not having a life? When starting a career, a "life" is the last thing that most people have. My wife was putting in 14-16 hour days last year on one major project - as was every other major contractor on the project in question. I don't think anyone on that project in question slept very much for 6 months - the only people that didn't work huge hours were the ones doing the physical part.

If you get into EFL to be lazy, then you're never going to go anywhere.

Quote:
If you're teaching late in the evening, you go out after and eat or have a beer. Who goes there and does early mornings, afternoons and evenings? Half the remedies here ie work Saturdays etc are all well and good but when you work all the time, life is dull. So you teach kids all day for your 3000 a month then do privates every evening just to stay afloat.

And then you make contacts, move on and upwards. The first years are difficult in any career - what makes you think that teaching should be any different?

For what it's worth, I had a nice chat last night with a good mate who teaches in the UK. The lifestyle - in his words - is horrendous. 4.5 full days a week, real working hours of around 8-7pm every day - all for less than 400 quid a week in the south of England. That's the real life of a public school teacher.

Quote:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

It's the difference between having to live in the sandpit as an adult vs being able to live in Europe, if you ask me.

Quote:
To enjoy oneself in Poland, one must be content with a more modest income. I don't mean some paltry 3k a month. Experienced, well-connected teachers can double or even triple this figure in Warsaw and still have time for piwo (i.e. beer, not the guy) in the evenings, or mornings, or whenever they've scheduled their free time.

It's just a matter of getting out there and doing it, I think.

I still admire anyone that can teach adults without losing their mind, though.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Go on Google Images and type 'UAE' before you write the word 'sandpit.'

Making a life in Poland hasn't changed in all the years I've been there. You teach and do privates and pick up writing and recording work. More hours=more money.

However, there are now way more teachers, native speakers have less kudos and the locals are much better teachers. It is a fact that the hourly rate hasn't changed. Back in the 90s you could get high-paying privates , well over 100/hour. It's all pot luck.

Yes, there's work to be had teaching kids but there are loads of nurseries which have Polish English teachers. Do a B.Ed primary and get the CETYL and go to an international school.

I love the country, love the beery culture and I have fun in Poland but I'm getting older and running around like a blue-arsed fly, whilst having to be constantly frugal, ain't for me. I've got my old age to live in poverty if I make it.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Governor delphiandomine wrote:

Quote:

And then you make contacts, move on and upwards. The first years are difficult in any career - what makes you think that teaching should be any different?

yep.

so to the OP, forget the 2,000zl extra per month that you could allegedly earn (with ease) when you come here because the first year, maybe the second, is going to be a grind and you won't have the time or the resources.

glad I was able to clear that up for ya'.
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4900PLN per month for a single individual will more than suffice.

Yes, it is an average pay, but it is still about 1000PLN more than the national average... the vast majority of people here, especially English teachers of Polish origin do not make that much yet they can afford to live in Warsaw.
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also 16pln for a Guiness? [Not to mention that given the current state of beer in Poland, this is one of the worst beers one may order] and 500PLN for a Thai dinner???
I don't know, wifey and I get a full on Indian dinner at least twice per week. Authentic kitchen, served and prepped by an Indian family... amazing stuff... 120PLN and we're stuffed, that's with two beers and a tip.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
Also 16pln for a Guiness? [Not to mention that given the current state of beer in Poland, this is one of the worst beers one may order] and 500PLN for a Thai dinner???
I don't know, wifey and I get a full on Indian dinner at least twice per week. Authentic kitchen, served and prepped by an Indian family... amazing stuff... 120PLN and we're stuffed, that's with two beers and a tip.
You've gone native, man. Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: give em enough rope Reply with quote

Well done PC.

So 4,900 minus about 20% tax etc is 4,000, minus rent and bills leaves about 2000, minus 2 curries a week with a bird, leaves 1120 for all his other food, drinks, clothes, household items blah, blah, blah. So if he manages to save 100 Zl a month, how much time will it take him to earn his ticket back to the States?

And he won't even save that. You know it and so do I. Even if he shops in Biedronka and adopts unhealthy internet habits.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: give em enough rope Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Well done PC.

So 4,900 minus about 20% tax etc is 4,000, minus rent and bills leaves about 2000, minus 2 curries a week with a bird, leaves 1120 for all his other food, drinks, clothes, household items blah, blah, blah. So if he manages to save 100 Zl a month, how much time will it take him to earn his ticket back to the States?
You've long forgotten how your average teacher lives. They don't pay 110 for 2 curries. They maybe pay half that, then go somewhere cheaper for drinks afterwards. So it's not as grim as you make it out to be.

One nice thing about Polish girls is that it doesn't usually take sports cars and fancy restaurants to impress them. The longest relationship I had in Poland began with a first date in a curry restaurant followed by drinking beers on the bank of the Vistula.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: erm..... Reply with quote

Banks of the Vistula. Nice in winter that. It's not about impressing anyone. It's not about whether you can or can't go for a kebab and drink a 5 zee beer. It's about longer term stuff like buying a flat, furnishing it, paying for a car and kids. It's about knowing that if I don't work for a month because I'm sick it won't ruin me. It's about being able to go home and visit relatives. My wife and I eat all over from the cheap to the 5*. We go on holidays in Poland and abroad. I've seen the frugal life there and the not-so-frugal life.

The salaries are pitiful for Europe in 2015. Do more hours, earn more. It's that simple.

I think some people here would tell you the burning fires of hell weren't so hot.
Infinite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
You've gone native, man. Smile

Shoes! Nice catch! hahahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: