Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Office Relocation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trina Marlow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Office Relocation Reply with quote

Hey guys I may need your advice regarding this matter, I work in a tutorial and language center and we are transferring to a bigger space next month. I was tasked to administrate everything with this relocation. I’ve been doing some research and reading articles such as this http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/hsprograms/office_relocation.html. My biggest concern is our network which is very essential for our operations. We don’t have IT personnel to do the job I wonder if anyone here can suggest anything, I really don’t know where to start. Thanks.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Office Relocation Reply with quote

Trina Marlow wrote:
Hey guys I may need your advice regarding this matter, I work in a tutorial and language center and we are transferring to a bigger space next month. I was tasked to administrate everything with this relocation. I’ve been doing some research and reading articles such as this http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/hsprograms/office_relocation.html. My biggest concern is our network which is very essential for our operations. We don’t have IT personnel to do the job I wonder if anyone here can suggest anything, I really don’t know where to start. Thanks.

Unplug stuff.
Move it.
Plug it back in. Things only fit one way.
You're up and running.

Network stuff isn't rocket science anymore. Most stuff is just plug 'n go.

The only issue might be getting your new internet connection running and setting the password on your router or ISP connection (and the ISP should get that done for you).
Once it is the rest of the network is as simple as plugging in a computer.

If you were building a new network then it might be a bit different but just moving a LAN from one location to another is stuff a 10-year-old can do.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Office Relocation Reply with quote

Trina Marlow wrote:
We don’t have IT personnel to do the job I wonder if anyone here can suggest anything, I really don’t know where to start.

If it really seems like a daunting task, contract with an IT consultant to oversee that part of the move.

On a side note, when I worked for the city government, any time there was a move, the sheriff would bring in a crew of a dozen inmates from the jail to do the heavy lifting. We would lock our desks to ensure they wouldn't do that other type of lifting. Laughing
Trina Marlow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we'd have need for a company like this?One of my colleagues told me that we should hire experts who know their way about this but I haven't decided yet because I don't want to spend the extra cash.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trina Marlow wrote:
Do you think we'd have need for a company like this?One of my colleagues told me that we should hire experts who know their way about this but I haven't decided yet because I don't want to spend the extra cash.

Probably, since you've indicated that your network is "very essential" for your organization's operations. Start with your ISP to see what additional services they offer their small business customers.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who set up the network in the first place? Can you contact them? Also, walk around the current location and take some notes of the set up.

As mentioned above, seems the network is already set up, so it should just be a disassemble re-assemble issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: