Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC - Erbil,Kurdistan -Sabis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLightning

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: ISC - Erbil,Kurdistan -Sabis Reply with quote

Initially, I had hoped to post this several months ago, so as to provide those considering employment at ISC Erbil (Sabis) an updated account. Though I failed in this regard, perhaps the details of my experience will nonetheless go appreciated by current 'new hires' and those who will find themselves to be such in the coming months.

As a quick search on your own part will yield, the school has been condemned on every front possible. Obviously, I cannot make comment to the experiences of others years past, although I will say that my own time at the school offered no showdown with the administration, word of departing teachers being forced to pay the school $10,000+, or anything of the sort( again, I do not dismiss these claims).

With regard to salary, I continue to respect a ‘Confidential Information’ clause in my contract. For that reason, I will only say that as a SINGLE, WESTERN teacher living comfortably on a budget of $500/month (a cheapskate perhaps $200), one can save over $24,000. That said, I highly recommend travelling during the year, which would of course reduce your savings.
When in interview, be perfectly clear as to what positions you will and will not take- ‘English Teacher’ is not specific to which grade level. The school will not ‘force’ you to change departments at your arrival, but they will certainly ask should the need arise.

In truth, I personally approve of the curriculum, as least so far as the actual content is concerned. I believe the frustration many teachers speak of is born from the inability we have to implement supplemental materials or activities that would allow fuller understanding and enjoyment for the students. In theory, you can approach your HOD and get approved such material, but there is simply no time, given the amount of work that students MUST complete in a given week.

If you are in lower primary, you will have twice the job as any other department, with no additional pay.
Again, with respect to the ‘Confidential Information’ clause, I will not go into specifics of the testing structure, but teachers of Upper primary, Middle School, and High School have an additional 3 weeks off during the school year. Moreover, lower primary teachers have an EXTREMELY heavy workload during these times. Add to this, discipline is a major issue. It is far too easy to simply say that these are ‘spoiled rich kids’, rather, teachers are simply not afforded any power – we cannot speak to parents nor can we assign detention of any sort (administration, of course, can). We have to rely entirely upon the hallway supervisors, a dynamic that no doubt further diminishes your authority in the classroom –

“Johnny, sit down”
“No”
“That’s it, I’m going to tell the supervisor on you”

Despite all of this, I do not for one minute regret having taught in lower primary. This is a truth I would have never thought possible until we said goodbye to our students on the last day of school – a ceremony of sorts.
To be clear on the issue of discipline, the majority of students are well behaved. As in the West, in a class of 30 you will have 2 to 3 who are problematic.

Here is my advice-

-Somewhere between 3 weeks – 2 months you will become overwhelmed. Stick with it, you’ll find a balance and at this point the stress will subside.
-Roll with the punches, there will be a few.
-Be respectful yet firm; here more than anywhere kindness is mistaken for stupidity, few words for few thoughts.
-All things considered, I would actually recommend the job to a friend (yes, yes, with friends like me, who needs....)

-If you have questions either about the school or the general area, feel free to ask.

Last edited by RedLightning on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only an organization that has a great deal to hide would try to slip a bullsh*t "confidentiality clause" into a contract. Yes, of course, there are tons of their ex-teachers around the web who have informed the world of their shortcomings... which can be legion. So, they think that they can force current teachers' silence??

But there isn't a damn thing that they can do to you if you do happen to expose all or any truths. This clause has zero power once you are out of Iraqi airspace.

This alone just enforces the fact that no one should take a job with a Sabis organization school unless they are hopelessly desperate to save a little money... "little" because their salaries are never anything to get excited about...

VS
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with veiledsentiments. If you are a talented teacher with experience, don't bother with this school.

The confidentiality agreement doesn't hold water.

If you need any inside information, I'll be happy to tell any teachers to stay the HELL away from this school. I'm only here because I'm in the 2nd step of the foreign service selection. So I'm basically here to show that I can live in a country that's in the middle of civil unrest. I'm not here to teach and I know there's something better for me.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, my post employment adherence to the 'confidential clause' is not born from fear of legal repercussion, but principle-if only my own. Having spent a year at this school, I can most certainly understand the ill feelings held against it; I have grievances of my own. However, as much can be said for teachers anywhere.

We in the West are "educated" to believe we know what is best for others - you must abandon this notion. Upon entering this school, understand that their system, however faulted, has been in place for over a century-it will not change. Regardless of how talented an educator you happen(or believe yourself) to be, your major strength/weakness is ultimately your perspective, or perhaps more so your ability to adapt , save outrageous circumstance.

Simply put, if you keep your head down and your mouth shut, you'll be fine. If not, you're in for a tough year.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us about their educational system and their educational philosophy.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Tell us about their educational system and their educational philosophy.

Philosophy
On paper, they espouse what you'd find on the "About Us" section of any private/international school website-
"Committed to Excellence...Technology...etc"
However, they distinguish themselves by what I would phrase to be a No BS mentality.
For example, someone on this board posted the following from a Sabis regional director in the Gulf-
“You have to perfect movement, no creativity, when you punch you punch a certain way, you block in a certain way. Only after you reach Third Dan must you demonstrate a new technique in front of your seniors, only then are you able to create new things, when you have a background.”
Several took issue with 'no creativity' - Personally, I do not interpret the quote as a stance against creativity, but simply as saying 'one must crawl before they can walk'
This example encompasses the entirety of their philosophy- students are given the basics.
(I found this refreshing as my own experience in the West, both as a student and educator, provided teachers whose 'engaging class discussions' and 'fostering of individuality' were in truth no more than their attempts to instill their own social/political views in their unsuspecting students)

System
The idea is an interactive approach with regard to the day's topic -
-The teacher goes over adjectives
-The students then work together in small groups
-They break off individually
-The teacher checks over completed work

The school is very test oriented, there are no 'grades' aside from exam scores.

Last edited by RedLightning on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLightning wrote:
This example encompasses the entirety of their philosophy- students are given the basics.
(I found this refreshing as my own experience in the West, both as a student and educator, provided teachers whose 'engaging class discussions' and 'fostering of individuality' were in truth no more than their attempts to instill their own social/political views on their unsuspecting students)

Interesting that I interpret it exactly the opposite. Their system seems to be total indoctrination of their political/social/educational views... lock-stepping to the test. Teach to the test... take test... teach for next test... take test. Avoid all thinking...

The system's total lack of creativity is why it is considered a negative on a CV by all of the top level International School employers.

VS
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
RedLightning wrote:
(I found this refreshing as my own experience in the West, both as a student and educator, provided teachers whose 'engaging class discussions' and 'fostering of individuality' were in truth no more than their attempts to instill their own social/political views on their unsuspecting students)

Interesting that I interpret it exactly the opposite. Their system seems to be total indoctrination of their political/social/educational views... lock-stepping to the test. Teach to the test... take test... teach for next test... take test. Avoid all thinking...

The system's total lack of creativity is why it is considered a negative on a CV by all of the top level International School employers.

VS

Indoctrination of their educational views, certainly, although I would remind that this is a private institute (parents' choice) and indoctrination of any sort in such case is no where near as ethically unsound as it would be (is) in the public school system. In any case, with a presence throughout the ever variant region of the Middle East, and a (to my knowledge) uniform curriculum, I doubt very seriously they would touch upon political or societal issues with any bias- a Secondary teacher can say with certainty, I(lower primary) cannot.
As far as serving a negative on my CV, perhaps it has for others. I myself was offered several well paid/reviewed positions throughout the Middle East subsequent to my employment at Sabis- whether this was a credit to Choueifat or the region(having experience in ME), who knows?
GOTL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Things dont change in the land of insanity Reply with quote

The bottom line is things are as they are in the SABIS system. As Educator, it is our personal responsibility to determine whether we decide to place ourselves in a situation which historically has shown time and time again to be dysfunctional and archaic.
The OP is correct in the fact that the system will not change. If an Educator, after doing extensive research, decides to go forward without regard of the repeated warnings than that is their personal choice and hell to live through.
Shocked Shocked
tmac-100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things dont change in the land of insanity Reply with quote

GOTL wrote:
....... If an Educator, after doing extensive research, decides to go forward without regard of the repeated warnings than that is their personal choice and hell to live through.
Shocked Shocked

Yes, this pretty well sums up our individual travel in life. We account for our own decisions, regardless of the obviously biased "advice" given to us by others. What is correct and "obvious" to one person may not "hold water" to another.

Isn't life wonderful in that we have our own choices to make. Wink
cartago

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked for SABIS but I interviewed with them a couple times and didn't accept the offer mostly because I felt they were too rigid and other things I didn't like about the contract. Anyway I've lived in Kurdistan for nearly three years and worked in other international schools and I'll say that in terms of pay they are standard or even a little at the high end. Kurdistan is not the Gulf.

They're not just in Erbil. They have schools throughout Kurdistan. If you think those in Erbil have it tough, imagine working in one of the small towns like Kalar or Soran.
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of my colleagues just quit today. One local and one who was born here and moved to the UK at the age of 8.

Educational philosophy is like this:
They tell you that they have a great program and everything is designed and planned out from beginning to end.
What they mean is: drill, drill, drill, and don't give homework. It upsets the parents.
They have in mind how they want you to teach something, but they don't tell you. They wait until you do something wrong to tell you "oh yeah, we want you to teach it like this."

And they wonder why their grades are so low.

They will blame you for low test scores, classroom discipline, and lack of a decent lesson plan even though it's the first week of school and you only got your schedule yesterday.

DON'T BOTHER.
(I'm only posting this because I know they're looking for replacements.)
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SABIS is a revolving door (people coming and going all the time).....the pay is also extremely low on top of the benefits...not worth the headache! Shocked
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local staff haven't been paid for 2 months. Be very wary.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fadedgirl wrote:
Local staff haven't been paid for 2 months. Be very wary.

That is very surprising, as even the most vehemently opposed ceded that the sole redeeming feature of Sabis was the salary(consistency). There was one occasion last year whereby a teacher's salary was 'delayed', but was ultimately paid within 24 hours. Not that it speaks to any credit on their part, but I noticed you said that the local staff were not paid; I assume then that all Westerners were paid, which would be the primary concern, save ethics, of those frequenting this board.
Last term, while the majority of the English staff were from the US or UK, we did in fact have a few teachers who were born in Kurdistan but had been raised in the West. I can't imagine the school withholding salary from these individuals, as they were essentially Western in manner and speech (their salary perhaps 10% lower than ours-given their 'local contracts'). If these are in fact those you reference (with the Lebanese and Asians accounting for the rest of staff), things have changed dramatically since last June.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: