Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Satay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Satay Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
disneyeric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it speak like a pirate day???

I am not sure you're going to get a clear answer on the 5 year experience requirement. That's the letter of the law but I am certain not every teacher in Indonesia who has a work visa meets that requirement. I am pretty sure there are ways around that one, though it probably depends on which school you work for. I wouldn't let it stop you from applying.

I think you will need at least a Bachelor's Degree. Whether or not it needs to be an ''English'' degree is also going to vary from school to school I think. If you want to work in Indonesia, I say go for it. Send out your CV and see what happens.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do NOT ... SEEK ... THE TREASURE"
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrr, indeed there be no lightheartedness here, matey ... a gloomy dungeon we do inhabit and a Motley Crue are we all ... but be hearty, for the rupiah plummets before our eyepatches, and all men, bad or good, must die ... so, be merry, my friend, be merry ...
disneyeric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give is to bring some dollars or pounds. Let's say that you can bring £2000 . Then that's over Rp 40.000.000 at the moment. You could get a nice place for a whole year for that. Most of the flat owners expect you to pay a year up front. If you try and save a year's accomodation costs while you are earning rupiah, you're doing it arse about face. Bring enough money to rent a nice flat for the year and then you'll find the salary will be more than enough to cover your daily expenses.

You can find some places that rent by the month but you'll pay a bit over the odds if you try that. Apart from that, find a job in the suburbs or one of the satellite cities like Tangerang or Depok. It's much cheaper for accomodation out there.
memae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.Ed?

If you're a registered/qualified teacher in your own country, you should be fine picking up work at an actual school in Indonesia (rather than an ESL institute).

I'm pretty sure that some of the SPH teachers are hired fresh out of uni, so I'm not sure about that 5 years experience. I recently saw a High Scope ad for a teacher. I bet the school in Manado would love a foreign teacher. Penabur schools would probably take you.

The school year has just started, so that's a bit unfortunate. But, saying that, I think there's probably a few teachers who have gotten to Jakarta and Surabaya only to realise they hate it enough to bail - so a few schools might be pretty desperate for teachers right now too.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who in their right mind would invest 2 thousand quid of their own money upfront on an apartment in Jakarta for the year unless they already legally hired to teach here? As already stated on another thread, working illegally for a period of months, prior to the issue of a kitas, has become the norm-surely paying monthly for a kos would be the sensible option, given this scenario?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: