Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Mexico on Sunday -- best ATM card options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Moving to Mexico on Sunday -- best ATM card options? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am a new ESOL teacher and am off to Cuernavaca to start a new job this Sunday. I thought it would be easier to set up a banking card that can have money put on it remotely from the US and be withdrawn by me once in Mexico, but it's proving very difficult. What are some cards I can get so I won't have to carry around a ton of cash, can withdraw pesos from an ATM without incurring large fees, and can have someone in the US add dollars to it easily? I tried my bank (Chase Manhattan), but they want 3% every time I make a withdrawal plus a host of other fees. H&R's Emerald card seemed like a good option, but apparently I don't meet the minimum requirements. I know that whatever card I get I'm going to have to pay some fees, but this is going to be an expensive enough move without paying an arm and a leg just to access money. Please help!
(If it makes any difference, I live in New York City, so if there's a Mexican bank I'm not aware of -- I've already tried several -- that has a NY branch and that's the best way to go, I'd be willing to do that).
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try asking at Citibank as they own Banamex...not sure if they have a no-fee withdrawal arrangement on the ATMs.

In my case, I keep a Scotia account in Canada and can withdraw without fees at Scotia in Mexico, even though they are not connected in any other way.

HSBC might be another option...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
You might try asking at Citibank as they own Banamex...not sure if they have a no-fee withdrawal arrangement on the ATMs.

In my case, I keep a Scotia account in Canada and can withdraw without fees at Scotia in Mexico, even though they are not connected in any other way.

HSBC might be another option...

I have an HSBC account and they do charge fees in the US, so most likely if you get a card in the US the same will be true in Mexico.

Another option might be PayPal, anyone can transfer money into your PayPal account without paying a fee and you can then withdraw in Mexico. The fee is lower than for a bank card.

Last, but not least, if you open a bank account in Mexico, there is a company called Xoom that you can use to transfer money from the US to Mexico. If the money comes from a US bank account the fee is 4.99, and it goes in the same day, often within a couple of hours. If you bank at Bancomer, it literally takes 5 minutes. If you have a Mexican debit card, you can then withdraw at any branch of your bank, as well as taking out money at WalMart or Bodega or other stores, for a small fee, I think 5 pesos or something. DonĀ“t know if that is an option for you, but if it is, that would probably be the easiest way to go.
Jultime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was living off my savings I would withdraw 5000 pesos at a time. I'd hide most of it in my room and only carry what I needed for that day. 5000 pesos is more than enough money for food and spending for a month...rent would be additional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: