Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info about teaching primary school
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For instance, take a look Sandrine at this today's ad for Al Hasa, I reckon CoE:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=36685

They specify B.A. in Humanities, and your M.A. degree would be considered Humanities. Nationality is not mentioned [ and everyone likes Armani...].
But you need CELTA and two years of post-CELTA experience and I strongly suggest Ielts/CAE/CPE [ I have seen many a time this IELTS score stipulation on a number of ads for colleges/unis which were ready to employ non-native teachers; I don't know if CAE/CPE still exist, or they faded away with the waning of better times].

So say 3 years from now [ or even 2 and a half ] college teaching in KSA may become your lot.

balqis

Last edited by balqis on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 am; edited 3 times in total
parched

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic again, but I must declare that it is very enjoyable to read the posts of Balqis, both those with practical advice, and especially, cultural commentary.
balqis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Parched.
Personally I think my last post relates to the topic of Sandrine's thread.

balqis
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that Parched was accusing you of being off-topic, bilquis... but that s/he was off-topic in commenting on your postings rather than the topic of the thread. Cool

VS
parched

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is correct in her explanation.
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, then I'm sorry Parched. All the more I thank you.
balqis
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandrina:

Instead of focusing on teaching jobs, look into other job opportunities in Oman that might be more in line with your MA in International Relations and nationality. Do your research starting with, "Oman-Italy business ties on a rapid growth path" (http://omanobserver.om/oman-italy-business-ties-on-a-rapid-growth-path/).
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Middle East employers do NOT recognize online certificates

VS

My experience has been that this is not necessarily true. TESOL certificates are not regulated by any accrediting authority, and therefore do not require attestation by the MOE. There is no particular reason why online certificates may not be looked favorably upon by some employers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
Middle East employers do NOT recognize online certificates.

My experience has been that this is not necessarily true. TESOL certificates are not regulated by any accrediting authority, and therefore do not require attestation by the MOE. There is no particular reason why online certificates may not be looked favorably upon by some employers.

Online TEFL certs are unfavorable because they don't include a supervised, assessed teaching practice component. This is why job ads specify the CELTA and equivalent in-class certs; they verify the job applicant has been sufficiently trained with the skills, knowledge, and hands-on teaching practice to facilitate an ESOL class.

For Saudi Arabia, TEFL certs get reviewed by the same MoE division that authenticates/attests academic credentials. An online cert (and degree) results in the visa application being denied. Other countries that don't like online credentials include Qatar, Kuwait, and Bahrain.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
Middle East employers do NOT recognize online certificates.

Online TEFL certs are unfavorable because they don't include a supervised, assessed teaching practice component. This is why job ads specify the CELTA and equivalent in-class certs; they verify the job applicant has been sufficiently trained with the skills, knowledge, and hands-on teaching practice to facilitate an ESOL class.

For Saudi Arabia, TEFL certs get reviewed by the same MoE division that authenticates/attests academic credentials. An online cert (and degree) results in the visa application being denied. Other countries that don't like online credentials include Qatar, Kuwait, and Bahrain.

There is no question that a certificate from an established provider that includes a bricks-and-mortar assessment is quite likely to be looked upon more favorably than any online certification. However, it is simply not the case that online certification is completely worthless. Many employers will take it into consideration.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
It is simply not the case that online certification is completely worthless. Many employers will take it into consideration.

"Many employers" in this region? Which ones and in which GCC countries?
Charlie123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow this link to find a detailed list of employers and their direct contacts in the GCC countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRcrfyN6rk

nomad soul wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:
It is simply not the case that online certification is completely worthless. Many employers will take it into consideration.

madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
Follow this link to find a detailed list of employers and their direct contacts in the GCC countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRcrfyN6rk

nomad soul wrote:
Charlie123 wrote:

Laughing
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: You tube link Reply with quote

@ Charlie 123

Banana republic? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: