Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job advice/wasta for Muscat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Job advice/wasta for Muscat Reply with quote

Hello! I'm moving to Oman around Eid and I'm looking for some advice/guidance for finding a job in Muscat.

I'm an American who came to teaching through the Peace Corps volunteer program. I had some ESL training before I began teaching on remote islands in the Pacific. After Peace Corps I moved to Jordan where I gained another two years of teaching experience - 9th grade Geography and PYP 5th Grade English. My last year in Jordan I took the course Teaching ESL Students in the Mainstream Classroom. That's the extent of my experience and qualifications. I am applying for a masters program in either international elementary ed or international ESL from George Mason University, which offers an online/summer degree for international teachers.

I've tried sending out my CV to as many schools and language centers I could find with no replies as of yet. I'm also open to other kinds of work, just not sure what's available for someone with my background and qualifications. Ideally I'm looking for a positive working environment and a package that includes housing and transportation. And of course the higher the salary the better, but I'm also realistic about my qualifications.

I'd ideally like to find a position before I leave in a few weeks to join my husband who moved to Muscat for work 2 weeks ago (he works in a health club/spa). From my experience expat contracts are much better than local hire contracts.

At this point I could use some wasta or guidance as far as where to look and what to look for. Any advice or help is much appreciated! Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man finding a teaching job in Muscrat is very difficult...you need to be legal and enter the country on a work visa then your Omani sponsor will provide the documents required to get you an Omani resident card.aka work permit. If you enter on a tourist visa and are caught working illegally you will be heavily fined and most likely deported back to your country! Shocked Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
I've tried sending out my CV to as many schools and language centers I could find with no replies as of yet. I'm also open to other kinds of work, just not sure what's available for someone with my background and qualifications. Ideally I'm looking for a positive working environment and a package that includes housing and transportation. And of course the higher the salary the better, but I'm also realistic about my qualifications.

I'd ideally like to find a position before I leave in a few weeks to join my husband who moved to Muscat for work 2 weeks ago (he works in a health club/spa). From my experience expat contracts are much better than local hire contracts.

I suspect the places you've been applying to either don't hire from overseas (it's costly), don't have current vacancies, or both. Frankly, you probably have a better chance of getting hired on a local contract. Additionally, if your husband's benefits cover housing, don't expect to receive a similar benefit; you're his dependent. It's doubtful you'd get a transportation allowance.

Anyway, give AMIDEAST a look for openings (http://www.amideast.org/oman).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Oh Man finding a teaching job in Muscrat is very difficult...you need to be legal and enter the country on a work visa then your Omani sponsor will provide the documents required to get you an Omani resident card.aka work permit. If you enter on a tourist visa and are caught working illegally you will be heavily fined and most likely deported back to your country! Shocked Shocked

While this is true, I assume that she will be entering on a spousal visa since her husband is working there. Hopefully he has an employment contract with housing.

Sweeniak, with your limited education (you didn't mention your BA?) and experience, few, if any, places would hire you on a foreign hire contract that gives you housing and other benefits. Once in country, there is more possibility of picking up an adjunct position in some K-12 international school or a language school. But, it will be salary/hourly pay only/local hire. Thus it depends on your husband being able to sponsor you.

VS
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks all for the feedback so far! Reply with quote

I will be entering the country on a spousal visa and yes his contract includes housing. To be honest, I was dreaming big that we could both get a housing allowance and just stick one in the bank (or use one to supplement the other as we currently have 600 OMR/mo).

I think you're probably right, nomad soul. I have read that a lot of schools do some last minute hiring in September, do you think I might have a chance that way? Thanks for the AMIDEAST tip, looking into it now.

Veiledsentiments, I have a BA in Philosophy and a minor concentration in English. I understand my education/experience not being adequate enough for a foreign hire contract, and you're right...in the past it's been a different story once in country.

In the end my big dreams met with reality are just reinforcing my decision to get my masters and actually become, you know...like qualified Wink

Thanks for the feedback and any other tips welcome!
madrileno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks all for the feedback so far! Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
I will be entering the country on a spousal visa and yes his contract includes housing. To be honest, I was dreaming big that we could both get a housing allowance and just stick one in the bank (or use one to supplement the other as we currently have 600 OMR/mo).

This is illegal in the Gulf, and they've been cracking down on it hard. If you're a married couple, only one of you will get a housing allowance, even if you're with different employers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madrileno is right... double dipping has never been allowed. It's not a big country and they know who everyone is and who is married to whom. Laughing When both people in a marriage have a full foreign hire contract, they do allow a couple to choose the best package of the two. But just one full benefit package allowed.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks all for the feedback so far! Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
I think you're probably right, nomad soul. I have read that a lot of schools do some last minute hiring in September, do you think I might have a chance that way? Thanks for the AMIDEAST tip, looking into it now.

I have a BA in Philosophy and a minor concentration in English. I understand my education/experience not being adequate enough for a foreign hire contract.

Wait until you're actually in Oman (as a trailing spouse) before applying for any position; you'll have a better sense of what's available and what you qualify for. Besides, no one can predict what last-minute opportunities open up in September. If anything, AMIDEAST would appreciate your Peace Corps experience.
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for letting me know that my blatant greed was getting the best of me, lol Smile Now that you say it's illegal and monitored, it makes sense! Good to know, VS, that they allow people to fairly choose the best package. Glad that at least my hubs has a full package. Sigh, there go my hopes for double dipping!

Nomad Soul, I'll take your advice and wait once I'm there (although I did just send out my CV for an AMIDEAST job, emphasizing my PC experience. Fingers crossed!). Do you happen to know what AMIDEAST is like to work for?

For someone w/ my qualifications (a BA and a smattering of teaching experience) does anyone have any recommendations for other job opportunities I could look into once I'm on the ground? Cheers!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMIDEAST around the Middle East is full of ex-Peace Corp people. Cool They are a pretty dependable employer in their various countries. Whatever response - or not - that you get, I would go over there and introduce myself for future possible part-time work.

In your situation, you really need to get there and network... see which places you may or may not be interested in...

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double dipping cost one couple five and a half years of Abu Dhabi rent to be paid back to company, loss of jobs, loss of gratuities, loss of tickets home.

A suicide inducing event.

The locals don't like it when they are "out local-led" by the khawajee.

Wait to you get there, network and you'll find something. Start out small and build up slowly. Take the long term view.

Take time to enjoy Oman, IMHO the nicer place on the peninsula. Take the opportunity to do something new. If you are in Muscat, there is a world class government sponsored SCUBA center. There are others as Oman has some of the best dive areas in the world. Good snorkeling too, as the reefs are close to the surface. If you have spent time in the Pacific, water sports might interest you.
Good luck
Sweeniak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling much more relieved/relaxed about not having something lined up before I leave knowing there's no "double dipping" on packages. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

I got a positive response from AMIDEAST basically saying what you are all - to come see them when I'm on the ground Smile I'm optimistic!

I'm really excited about moving to Muscat - from what I've heard there are ample opportunities for outdoor adventure as well as a nice expat community life. My Irish husband already watched a GAA match at Feeney's and I'm digging out my dive card as we speak!

I was hoping to pick your brains once more. What kind of salary could I expect for either full-time or part-time work as a local hire w/ my qualifications (a native English speaker w/ a BA, a smattering of training, and 4 yrs. international teaching experience)? Thanks again!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
What kind of salary could I expect for either full-time or part-time work as a local hire w/ my qualifications (a native English speaker w/ a BA, a smattering of training, and 4 yrs. international teaching experience)?

I doubt anyone here can give you an idea of salary based on your specific profile; the majority of posters on this forum were hired from abroad and teach full time in colleges and universities throughout Oman as opposed to privately-owned language schools. In addition to experience teaching adults, they have TEFL-related degrees and/or a CELTA or equivalent cert. Be aware that salaries in Oman tend be lower than the other GCC countries.

That said, use AMIDEAST as a gauge as well as a source of info.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeniak wrote:
I'm feeling much more relieved/relaxed about not having something lined up before I leave knowing there's no "double dipping" on packages. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

I got a positive response from AMIDEAST basically saying what you are all - to come see them when I'm on the ground Smile I'm optimistic!

I'm really excited about moving to Muscat - from what I've heard there are ample opportunities for outdoor adventure as well as a nice expat community life. My Irish husband already watched a GAA match at Feeney's and I'm digging out my dive card as we speak!

I was hoping to pick your brains once more. What kind of salary could I expect for either full-time or part-time work as a local hire w/ my qualifications (a native English speaker w/ a BA, a smattering of training, and 4 yrs. international teaching experience)? Thanks again!

In Morocco AMIDEAST hourly rates were extremely low. No clue if that extends across the Middle East.
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most likely can't be hired as an official full-time employee because you won't have the requisite verified experience to pass through the Ministry checklist for visa approval - at least for the institutions who work under Manpower. A school might be able to do under the min of Ed.

Amideast only takes on part-timers these days, no full-time contracts and the threat of getting caught and deported is zero. The comment by EFL Educator is true in the letter of the law but in practice, it has never happened - we are not blue collar illegals hustling for work on a street corner in Ruwi. some people are not comfortable with working part-time and in fact being "illegal" but everyone else does it quite happily, from wives getting a few hours here and there to more free-lance types who only work part-time for various institutes and colleges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: