Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best month to look for jobs in Thailand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: What is the best month to look for jobs in Thailand? Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I decided to start a new thread as my previous one about TEFL Heaven went off topic and I've decided against using them. Basically I'm a 22 year old degree-holder hoping to get a TEFL certificate and move to Thailand early next year at some point (I'm not currently financially able to move there now for the September/October hiring bump).

I'm curious to hear opinions as to when the best month to look for jobs would be. I know that the school term begins in May, but the more I read I hear conflicting opinions as to when to go. For instance, I've read the the schools are shut in April, so does this mean it would be difficult to find a job in April?

I'm also kind of itching to get away, so realistically when is the earliest (in 2016) that I could go and find work, March maybe?

Any opinions and info would be greatly appreciated Very Happy Sorry for all the questions and posts by myself, it's just I find the majority of TEFL websites and info online is very generic and I find the info on here a lot more helpful.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best month to look for jobs in Thailand? Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Hi guys.

I decided to start a new thread as my previous one about TEFL Heaven went off topic and I've decided against using them. Basically I'm a 22 year old degree-holder hoping to get a TEFL certificate and move to Thailand early next year at some point (I'm not currently financially able to move there now for the September/October hiring bump).

I'm curious to hear opinions as to when the best month to look for jobs would be. I know that the school term begins in May, but the more I read I hear conflicting opinions as to when to go. For instance, I've read the the schools are shut in April, so does this mean it would be difficult to find a job in April?

I'm also kind of itching to get away, so realistically when is the earliest (in 2016) that I could go and find work, March maybe?

Any opinions and info would be greatly appreciated Very Happy Sorry for all the questions and posts by myself, it's just I find the majority of TEFL websites and info online is very generic and I find the info on here a lot more helpful.

The school year runs from mid-May to the end of February.
Schools shut down classes for Oct (mid year break) and are mostly closed from early March to late April (end of Songkran).

The best time to be here for job hunting is right after Songkran (landing here in late April) when admin and staff return to schools to prep for the new school year and they know who didn't come back after the break.

The worst time to be looking for work is Dec - Feb.

Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info again Very Happy

Just out of curiosity, to what extent are some jobs available in the months leading up to May?

For instance, I know that arriving at end of April would be best, but I'm slightly itching to go away, and am curious if I were to arrive end of March/start of April (hopefully after doing a TEFL course somewhere).... would there be any chance at all of me finding a job early?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Thanks for the info again Very Happy

Just out of curiosity, to what extent are some jobs available in the months leading up to May?

For instance, I know that arriving at end of April would be best, but I'm slightly itching to go away, and am curious if I were to arrive end of March/start of April (hopefully after doing a TEFL course somewhere).... would there be any chance at all of me finding a job early?

Sure... there are lots of schools that are closed. They will all be looking for teachers but you won't start work till May and won't likely be paid until late May or June.

The rest of the time you will be spending money like a tourist at about 3000 baht/day.

Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Suphanburi you've been very helpful! Very Happy

I'm really hoping to book and pay for a TEFL course in Thailand (for next year) in the next couple months just so I can commit and know that it's happening.

I'm curious to know if you have an opinion on the best cities for finding TEFL work? From much of what I've read online it makes it out to be that you could find work in any Thai city, but I'm not sure which would be best. For some reason I presumed Bangkok.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangkok has the largest population (15% of the national population) and the most jobs as a result of it.
It also has the greatest variance in living costs (from dirt cheap to expensive-expat tastes).

Tourist places like Chaing Mai, Phuket and Pattaya have the most competition for jobs (and worst pay levels because of the excess of tourists willing to work for next to nothing to extend their stay in Thailand) coupled with a the highest cost of living.

Good luck to you.

MESL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September and October are good times to job hunt in Thailand because the second semester starts in November.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: