Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternatives to ajarn.com for better-paid EFL jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Alternatives to ajarn.com for better-paid EFL jobs? Reply with quote

Ajarn.com has many EFL jobs on its website but few that pay over 60k. I know that the average TEFL teacher makes less than this but I was wondering if there were other websites comparable to ajarn.com-ones that listed better paid posts such as those at elite universities?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't specific to Thailand, but try higheredjobs.com, elprograms.org, and TESOL.org's career page. However, your best bet is to check out individual universities directly since many post openings only on their website. Again, this is general to higher ed jobs regardless of location.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alternatives to ajarn.com for better-paid EFL jobs? Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
Ajarn.com has many EFL jobs on its website but few that pay over 60k. I know that the average TEFL teacher makes less than this but I was wondering if there were other websites comparable to ajarn.com-ones that listed better paid posts such as those at elite universities?

If all you have to offer is a non-related BA and perhaps a TEFL cert or a couple years of classroom time somewhere else teaching EFL then no. You need to be on the ground and networking to get into something much better than 35-40k.

30k is pretty bottom barrel. The average for a NES would be in the 35-40k range (try Facebook) unless you are locating in a backpacker heaven (Phuket, Pattaya, ChaingMai, etc) where they can find white faces for 25-30k.

If you have something more than a generic BA then EFL boards are not the place to be looking. Get serious and use google:
search associates
tes.co.uk
international schools review
etc.

tony87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that's a bit defeatist. When I was in Thailand, with only an unrelated BA and no TEFL certificate (and no experience), I got a job for 50k.

It was all the way out in the sticks of Bangkok though so I guess they had to offer a little more to get people to go there. Long 8am-5pm workday too. But I certainly wouldn't consider less than 45k if you're in Bangkok, the place isn't that cheap if you aspire to do anything more than eating noodles and pad thai.

Surely, rather than taking a full time job that paid 35k, you'd be better off just doing language centre work on Saturdays and Sundays? 7 classes at 700 baht per class is 4900, multiply that by 8 weekend days per month and you're on 40k, with the advantage of working a 2 day week rather than a 5 day week.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: a very good idea Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and...

"Surely, rather than taking a full time job that paid 35k, you'd be better off just doing language centre work on Saturdays and Sundays? 7 classes at 700 baht per class is 4900, multiply that by 8 weekend days per month and you're on 40k, with the advantage of working a 2 day week rather than a 5 day week."

That is very logical, but how best to occupy the weekdays? Private lessons?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

I have found advertising my EFL teaching services in the Bangkok Post and The Nation to be a very good and rewarding experience in finding work. In the past I have been offered work as a freelance teacher with companies, civic organizations, hotels, banks and other service oriented businesses. I usually got paid up to Baths 2,000 or more per hour by doing this. It was to me a proven alternative successful way of finding better paying jobs here in the Land of Smiles and in the TEFL industry. Very Happy
MESL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universities in Thailand pay 20-25,000 baht. Lighter lesson load and no office hours, but lower pay.
MESL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thailand Foreign Teachers Association Facebook page has as many or more job ads as Ajarn.com. And unlike Ajarn.com alternatives like AjarnJobSpace.com and TeachingJobsInThailand.net, the TFTA FB page job ads are current.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418554775107503/?fref=ts
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: a very good idea Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally teach at multiple work sites in the Land of Smiles?....well YES...that can be done if you have a valid work permit.....depemding on whose interpretation of LEGALLY!!!! Smile Smile Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: a very good idea Reply with quote

tony87 wrote:
Think that's a bit defeatist. When I was in Thailand, with only an unrelated BA and no TEFL certificate (and no experience), I got a job for 50k.

You didn't get a generic job in EFL earning 50 while you were sitting outside of the country AND it was out of the way and working extra hours.

Double_Dragon wrote:
AbeCross wrote:
Thanks for the replies and...

"Surely, rather than taking a full time job that paid 35k, you'd be better off just doing language centre work on Saturdays and Sundays? 7 classes at 700 baht per class is 4900, multiply that by 8 weekend days per month and you're on 40k, with the advantage of working a 2 day week rather than a 5 day week."

That is very logical, but how best to occupy the weekdays? Private lessons?

Pardon my naivety, but does this mean that one can work at more than one workplace and/or teach privates legally in Thailand? For example, unlike while working in certain Northeast Asian countries.

Yes, just like in Korea :
In K-land you need the blessing of your employer and need to add the 2nd workplace to your ARC.
In Thailand you need the blessing of your employer and need to add the 2nd workplace to your work permit.

Can it be done = yes.
Do most people jump through the hoops = no. They just do it illegally.

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

I have found advertising my EFL teaching services in the Bangkok Post and The Nation to be a very good and rewarding experience in finding work. In the past I have been offered work as a freelance teacher with companies, civic organizations, hotels, banks and other service oriented businesses. I usually got paid up to Baths 2,000 or more per hour by doing this. It was to me a proven alternative successful way of finding better paying jobs here in the Land of Smiles and in the TEFL industry. Very Happy

I call "BS" on someone, who says they have earned 2000 per hour teaching, but don't know how to spell the four letter word it is denominated in. Perhaps, a cheerleader for the lucrative TEFL Certificate business?
MESL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Recruit is another good site:

www.ajarnrecruit.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: