Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citadel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Travel visa? Reply with quote

I am considering travelling to Moscow for Christmas for Christmas break but I do have some misgivings about going to Russia. The visa process for U.S.citizens seems daunting and the U.S. Department of State travel site makes it seem like a travel back in time to the Cold War?

Is it really that complicated? Some feedback would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Citadel Very Happy
Ryan_XC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! It's not nearly as complicated as it looks, go through www.ils-usa.com (the official partner for Russian consulate affairs in the US) and get a 3-year multi-entry tourist visa. This is the cheapest and most flexible option, better than what is offered to the EU or UK. There are no trick questions, as long as you have no criminal convictions and a valid passport which doesn't expire in the next 4 years you will have no problems. If you can visit a local ILS office, even better.

Aside from the obvious foreign-policy headlines, you will find that for travelers this "cold war" mentality stops once you've left the US. There are many foreigners traveling here every day and they are quite used to tourists, just like any other European travel destination, but this one happens to be my favorite!
citadel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million. I thought perhaps the US Department of State's site was bit overboard. I will certainly explore and follow your advice.
Ryan_XC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

I'll also mention that when you read about the tourist visa you're going to find some confusing requests for a "voucher" from your hotel. Keep in mind that this "voucher" is a formality and very easy to get. If you aren't booking with a hotel in advance you can purchase one online (usually ~$20) or even ask the ILS desk if they can provide one. Doing this doesn't mean you are required to stay at that hotel or follow the travel plan you put on the application, it's all just for the paperwork. Once you're in the country you can improvise your travel plans just like in the EU.

Yes, seems the State Department would be happier if we all stayed home when you look at their "travel alerts". All the stories I've heard about bribes and tourist harassment in Russia are from travelers who haven't been here the past 5 years or so. There's been major changes in policing and I've never heard once of someone being asked for a bribe in Moscow or St. Petersburg. Good luck with the paperwork!
citadel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thanks again for taking the time out to give me detailed and valuable advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Just one more question though. Do I have to report to a police station or 'the police station' upon arrival?

Thanks again.
Shelby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are staying in a hotel then they will take care of the registration, no need for a visit to the police station. It might be worth bearing in mind that Christmas in Russia is 7 January although this is pretty low key. If you want to see any kind of celebrations then New Year's Eve is the time to be here.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mentioned the obligatory anal cavity check for US citizens?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEwwww. I'm going through Sheremetyevo this weekend, enroute further East. They better not have any cavity searches Shocked It's never happened before, anyway, or I wouldn't be going back Wink

Hehehehehehe.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
EEEwwww. I'm going through Sheremetyevo this weekend, enroute further East. They better not have any cavity searches Shocked It's never happened before, anyway, or I wouldn't be going back Wink

Hehehehehehe.

It's a double handed cavitiy search. Without lube.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd. Good thing I travel with an impermeable and intimidating bodyguard, then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: