Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Permit / Labour License

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lara777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Work Permit / Labour License Reply with quote

Hi -

Does anyone have an idea what the current turn around times are for approval of the work permit / labour license by the Ministry of Higher Education?

I submitted my attested docs on 1 September and am told by my prospective employer in Nizwa that it takes about a week to get the approval from the Ministry and another 10 days for the visa.

I'm due to start the first week of October.

Last edited by lara777 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only get a visa before you arrive. After you arrive, there are a few more hoops to jump through (used to be blood test, x-ray, and fingerprints) and then they will take your passport to the ministry to get you the labor card. I actually did all of that in one morning with our college "fixer" but he was very efficient, and I was in Muscat.

Hard to predict how long it will take to get you there... relax and wait... and be ready to leave with little warning. Cool Try to touch base with them every week to see if they can tell you anything.

VS
lara777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.
The English on that side is tricky so I just got that "something" takes one week and thereafter "something" takes another 10 days (off course God-willing).
Razz
americanjoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little jealous to be honest. Nizwa is a nice town, and the girls i taught were such fun students!
I also liked my Thursday off, but Friday were a little boring, but they changed the day's off now.
The souk on wednesday at sunset was really something, and I had several friends I made teaching at the univ there, and to be honest I don't make friends easily.
And it's going into winter soon, so the weather will be cool enough at night you will need a jacket.
I really liked the winter there in Nizwa.
You will have a wonderful experience, if you can stay focused on all that is good, and there much more good than bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: