Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Omani students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Missing Omani students Reply with quote

Just a note...

Omani students may not be 'like us' in all the ways we would wish them to be (not sure what those are) and their knowledge of L2 may be lower in level even compared to their Gulf neighbors. But now that I'm home, working with students coming to the U.S. from KSA, Kuwait & UAE, I am missing my students from Oman more than I ever thought possible:(

We have exactly one Omani, and several teachers have been 'fighting' over who gets to have him in their class. My director just told me this week how she wishes we had more from the Sultanate. They truly are the best ambassadors from the Gulf (and possibly the entire M.E.) to these U.S. university language programs.

Treasure your students. Oh- and if anyone out there is teaching writing and would like to set up a 'pen-pal' activity with a class of intermediate-level Saudis, Japanese, Koreans and Brazilians studying in the U.S.- please contact me! It will most likely be done via schoology.com, so no post office trips required!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES OMANI students are great....they are the best student ambassadors in the Gulf....come to Oman to teach them English! Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She just left... that is why she is missing them... Rolling Eyes

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a motivated Omani student studying overseas-wow! Most of the ones I encounter here in the desolate interior only attend for the money.....and attend for as little time as they can get away with..... Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a mistake to generalize as if one's students were all that Oman is producing.

Because one would be wrong. Comparing those that go overseas or study at SQU or some of the private colleges in the larger cities to the village boys who are basically just being paid to get them off the streets because their grades are too low to get into the better option... apples and oranges.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'apples and oranges'....errrr-no. It's a valid comparison in terms of student motivation and academic achievement. They are all young adults from Oman.... some attend SQU while others study overseas and a large number attend the MOM and CAS colleges in the interior. The OP was waxing lyrical about how much he/she 'missed' Omani students and what great ambassadors for the Gulf they were-I simply pointed out that his/her experiences were in marked contrast to my own.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
'The OP was waxing lyrical about how much he/she 'missed' Omani students and what great ambassadors for the Gulf they were-I simply pointed out that his/her experiences were in marked contrast to my own.

To be honest, that's been in contrast to my experiences as well and, whilst the OP may be missing her Omani students, I've been missing my Vietnamese students for quite some time now Crying or Very sad. Anyway, in fairness it should be noted that the OP was only comparing the Omanis to the other Gulf students and, as a generalization, I don't doubt that, overall, the Omanis would be on top in terms of being pleasant to teach. However, to be honest, their competition within that context isn't what I would describe as fierce.

VS made a good point about the differences between the motivation and academic ability of students, but, the fact is the "village boys" [and, presumably, girls] are much more the rule than the exception and, for every student studying overseas or attending SQU, there are several 'villagers' scheming on ways to get their stipend without exerting too much effort. The majority of potential newbies reading this thread will more than likely be teaching them (as opposed to the 'elite') and they should be under no confusion as to what most students here are like [refer to Tazz's first post on this thread]. However, it's not all doom and gloom and even at the lower-end institutions, you still get some good students and some decent classes. You just try and make the best of it and do what you can Cool.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
'apples and oranges'....errrr-no. It's a valid comparison in terms of student motivation and academic achievement. They are all young adults from Oman.... some attend SQU while others study overseas and a large number attend the MOM and CAS colleges in the interior. The OP was waxing lyrical about how much he/she 'missed' Omani students and what great ambassadors for the Gulf they were-I simply pointed out that his/her experiences were in marked contrast to my own.

errr... no... What you did was what you seem to do all too often... denigrate another poster's opinion and experience because they didn't match yours.

VS
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I see any of Dave's Mt. Rushmore criticizing new or occasional posters for living in an echo chamber I can feel the universe start to turn in on itself a little bit.

Check out the recent blog link in the Saudi section for a good example.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks we should all contribute on this forum to nominating the best student EFL ambassador to Oman.... will the nominee come from I F RI, Musc rat, Nicewa, or So far...or ?? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: