Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to teach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Where to teach? Reply with quote

I know I've been speaking to some of you guys on the Saudi forum but I'm looking to broaden my horizons a little.

A little about myself...
I've just graduated from university with a BA General (I did take some English courses..). I have a bit of coaching experience (6 years in various sports) and have some coaching certification - I realize this by know means constitutes a degree in teaching, but there are many similarities. I've done some volunteering at an elementary school in Canada (about two months with various age groups) while working as an unqualified supply teacher (the "unqualified" prevented me from working frequently as I am sure it will close a lot of doors for me now).

Anyways, I am looking for work teaching in the Middle East and would appreciate any feedback or info on potential employers for someone with my background.

Thanks.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: experience ! Reply with quote

Experience ! You need to get some. And some TEFL training might help too. It is VERY difficult to get a job in the ME as a graduate with no relevant experience and qualifications.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Scot is right again, as usual Reply with quote

With your lack of educational credentials and limited experience, there are almost no jobs in the Middle East. The very few that there might be would have conditions that no one would ever want to be involved in.

The good jobs in the ME require an MA and a few years of experience or a BA + good TEFL certification (not the 3 week quickies) + many years of experience.
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man,
I was hoping for a slew of names and emails of people who would hire me. Not really, this is pretty much what I expect. The contacts I spoke with at most schools said the same. I appreciate the info provided, regardless of whether or not it was what I wanted to hear.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Go,

I'm glad you had realistic expectations from us. Smile

If you are serious about teaching overseas and eventually the Middle East, why not take some time and get a good TEFL certificate - not one of those 2-3 week ones, but something that is widely accepted like the CELTA. Then, get a few years of experience in Asia or South America.

I am presuming that since you just finished your BA, you are young and have the time to check things out. Also, be sure to browse through this board and ponder some of the comments pro and con about the future professional possibilities in this field.

Good Luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: