Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you're going to KSA for the 1st time, be aware that....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: If you're going to KSA for the 1st time, be aware that.... Reply with quote

What You Should Know Before Going To KSA

Often, when I meet someone that’s enquiring about life in KSA, I sit him down and tell him he’s has to remember only 3 things about KSA:

1. America has yet to be discovered. The Hijri (Islamic) year is currently 1437 AH (After Hijra). That means in the Islamic universe, it’ll be another 55 years before America is discovered (1492), The Western calendar is in use, but it only “corresponds to “ the Hijri calendar which is the one that really counts.

2. Sundays are really Mondays. Sunday is the first day of work and Thursday is the last in your typical week. That is to say, people in KSA do on Friday what we in the West would do on Sunday. (Clear?)

3. You can’t drink the tap water. It either has to be bottled or your residence must have a special “sweet water” (potable) tap available (not many enjoy this luxury). You’ll be amazed how much “water” in all its shapes, forms and manifestations will come to dominate and overwhelm your life in KSA. (You won’t even know it’s happening). (Remember too that potable water is at least 3 times more expensive than gas (petrol) for your car.)

That’s it. Everything else is simply footnotes to the above three immutable axioms.

sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: If you're going to KSA for the 1st time, be aware that.. Reply with quote

nope, nope and nope.

America was "discovered" by Europeans long before 1492. The Vikings have some stories...

Sunday is the first day of the week in the Gregorian calendar too. I'll concede that it's not the first day of the working week unless, perhaps you are a church minister.

I drank the tap water for two years. Didn't do me any harm (apparently). I now drink Bahraini water...
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week ending with Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Although this is the international standard, countries such as the United States still have their calendars refer to Sunday as the start of the seven-day week.

I can never resist an opportunity to diss Sicklyman !
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In contrast, you will find that the majority of Americans have a really good grasp of the history and culture of middle-eastern countries.

Next time you go into Wal-Mart just ask a random customer if they know where Bahrain is? Sadly, the chances are pretty good that they will not. Europeans are probably better educated, however your average American doesn't care about much else than just figuring out where to go to get their next taco.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say tacos?!?
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week ending with Sunday as the seventh day of the week.

ah... but you failed to include the rest of the paragraph you lifted that from on Wikipedia that says "Software often starts with Sunday=0, which places Sundays in the left column of a monthly calendar page." because, as us techies all know, the first item in an array has index 0.

I wonder if one of the highlights of my retirement will consist in awaiting opportunities to diss people online.

Somehow, I imagine not, but then I've no hankering to be a part of an academic study which focuses on such things Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wait until retirement. You can start enjoying yourself now ! There was a poster here, a Scot of the Unionist Tribe, who actually wrote a paper on how he was dissed by people on Daves. Can't remember his name, but he ended up on the Mod's Black List and was consigned to Limbo.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mashkif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
In contrast, you will find that the majority of Americans have a really good grasp of the history and culture of middle-eastern countries.

Next time you go into Wal-Mart just ask a random customer if they know where Bahrain is? Sadly, the chances are pretty good that they will not. Europeans are probably better educated, however your average American doesn't care about much else than just figuring out where to go to get their next taco.

That would explain why America is right at or near the bottom of every research, science, academic, economic, military, and even cultural table.

No. Wait. No. No, we're not. We're right at the top.

Well, so much for the Walmart hypothesis...
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I always used to go to the pub on Sundays. So, yo can go on Fridays right?
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing any tacos...something's amiss here.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/54709396.jpg
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, John. That was memelicious.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Friday today and I'm not doing what I'd do on a Sunday in the west, which is recovering from a weekend of excess and ironing shirts, and making a decent roast dinner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: