Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Know cambridge English centre, La Paz, Bolivia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Do You Know cambridge English centre, La Paz, Bolivia? Reply with quote

I applied for a job at the Cambridge English Centre(also Cambridge College), La Paz, Bolivia. Do you know anything about this school, or about teaching in Bolivia, generally? I have experience, so I know that things are not always as they seem.
Judging from the job ad, and what I have received so far, the school seems well-organised and professional, indeed rigorous. But what is it like to work there? What is La Paz like generally? What problems are teachers likely to encounter?
In particular, the school says that while it will refund my flight to Bolivia, it will not pay for my rent. I am surprised and delighted that they will refund my flight, but wasn't expecting them to pay my rent, anyway. What does concern me is how much the rent will be. If it's a case of paying one month's rent, and one month fianza, when I move in-just like in Spain-I should be okay. But some countries have landlords who wish to extract a 4 month deposit, or a 6 month deposit when I move into the house. That would cause problems. You don't expect to make a lot of money in South America, but it would be an issue if I had to pay a lot of money in the 1st month, especially if the flight will only be refunded after a few months.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: No on the rent question.. Reply with quote

Few apartment managers charge more than the first month's rent and--maybe-- the 2nd month and/or a security deposit up front. I will admit I have never rented anything in a major urban area, but no teacher or anyone I ever met had to pay more than a month's rent prior to moving in in Arequipa (and that is the 2nd biggest city in Peru). In fact if someone does try to claim they need 3 plus months of rent up front, be wary..they may be scamming you, especially if your Spanish is less than perfect.

Families though out Latin America rent an extra room out for extra income; some of these families might even reduce your rent in exchange for English help--just make sure your job is okay with that. Some families let you pay a flat (and low) rate and eat meals with them, too.

Many schools will have other foreign employees besides you; often living with them is an option. And all schools know you need housing..that's what happens if they hire a foreigner; so they will likely help you and have local connections to good places to live.

Make sure you know/understand the visa fees and process! I have never been to Bolivia, but in Peru going there used to be the best option for a border run..until the government started requiring Americans to have a visa to even get in. But visa 101 for the region is "the laws change constantly" so that might not be true now. Just make sure you know what to expect and the cost (or if the school will pay for it).

Few jobs do re-imburse the flights so--unless it's a scam, of course-- you probably do have an above average job in the region.
wilco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are talking about Cambridge College, La Paz (for which there appears no information online) and not the establishment of that name in Santa Cruz?
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in La Paz last year as a tourist. I met a couple of English teachers while there. In academies the wages are very low. Around 400-500 euro a month equivalent (though La Paz is cheap) but more opportunities with privates, with the usual caveats about unreliability. It's Latin America, so comes with the usual issues for "gringos" people may try to overcharge you not knowing that you're a TEFL teacher and La Paz has some dodgy bits. El Alto, for example, had a very dodgy feeling in the day time, wouldn't fancy being there at night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: