Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General attitude of schools in Prague
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LV83

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: General attitude of schools in Prague Reply with quote

As I understand Prague is busting with schools and TEFLers wanting to work in this fairy tale town - how does this effect how language schools treat their staff? Do they often spit their staff out and view them as disposable objects or do they like keeping staff who are good teachers and encourage them to stay?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of each, of course. You're usually fairly safe with the better-established (older) schools, but that's not black-and-white either.
LV83

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people do who want to stay long term but don't have the money to get bettwr qualified etc. I can't imagine going freelance is very lucrative
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make some steps up the ladder just by growing a local reputation and contacts (and language skills). There will be a limit, though, beyond which you'll simply have to find a way to upgrade quals. What do you have currently?

Freelance can be lucrative but it's not steady and requires the above local rep and contacts.
LV83

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean in terms of quals? BA (hons) TESOL - CELTA - DELTA (module 2) - IELTS examiner - 8 years experience.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that, you should be able to build up a reasonable living, though it may take some time, primarily because the job market's fairly saturated. Currently in the Czech Rep or just thinking of it?
LV83

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of it - getting tired of ELT and moving from place to place and wanna set up some roots.. I know CZK isn't worth much GBP but I wont be planning on using the money back ın London. BTW - how feasible is it for a freelancer to make 40k a month? How about through the summer, too?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only jobs I know that are much available at those rates for people without connections are the kiddie gigs (private 'international' schools that are becoming fairly popular). You could cobble together that much with a full time language school contract + privates, but it's not usually stable. Summer? Ha! Holidays are taken seriously here.
johncoan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some hours at the BC, supplement it with privates and some teacher training. You could manage 40k with all of that (I nearly did!).
LV83

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea of how to get into training and what qualifications are needed? Are you taking 40k gross or net? Whats the net if gross?

Thanks
johncoan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LV83 wrote:
Any idea of how to get into training and what qualifications are needed?

Normally you'd need a DELTA, or equivalent - but I managed without. Five years' teaching experience at least.

It's really just a matter of hanging around until vacancies arise, certainly in Prague. Ask around if the schools need help with TP (I know that TEFL Worldwide are advertising now, Oxford TEFL also need occasional assistance with observations). Get a name for yourself.

LV83 wrote:
Are you taking 40k gross or net? Whats the net if gross?

It depends on where you work, the amount of work and the hourly rates. 40k net in a good month. 40k gross would work out at 32 net, maybe, once you'd worked out tax and deductions.
LV83

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys for the info
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If planning to work long-term in the Czech lands, do you have an exit strategy ? What will you do when retirement looms over you ?
LV83

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question - being a Brit I would continue my NI payments and then I'd get a pension from there so that's £151.25 a week x 4 = 605 gbp a month which at todays rate is - 22281 CZK. On that I will get a pension from the CR (lets say I stay there that long) and I also plan on putting a few thousand away into a private plan. My parents bought me a small flat in the UK so I would rent that out or eventually sell it so that I can buy my own place to live in when I retire.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you can learn Czech to a reasonable level over time, it sounds do-able:-)

Keep us posted as things develop - there are a few of us around who have been in the CR long-term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: