Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's life like for a woman in Nizwa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamcatcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: What's life like for a woman in Nizwa Reply with quote

Help! I've sort of been offered a position in Nizwa and need to know a few things. I am a single woman. How is life in Nizwa for women. I heard about dressing conservatively so I guess that means no shorts or short sleeve shirts right?

What is the cost of living there? I will be given housing but what about prices for food, clothing, entertainment? Is there any entertainment there. I like to go to dance clubs but from what I hear that may not be a good idea. I wouldn't just want to be stuck in my apartment with nothing to do.

I currently teach in Taiwan and it's great I can go where I want, wear what I want and the cost of living is cheap so I'm not sure I want to give that up for only a couple hundred dollars more pay. It's not all about money but I love to travel and want to experience as many places as I can.

I need to let them know by Friday so any advice would be great. Thanks
crocus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dreamcatcher

In the nicest possible way, stay in Taiwan! If you were coming to Muscat then great, I think you would most probably enjoy life, but Nizwa, no! This is hearsay - but from a good friend who worked up there: one female teacher had nothing but sexual harassment from students - no support from above - was threatened with being reported to the Ministry of Manpower (equivalent) - eventually left. Another female teacher was seen having a drink at one of the hotels by a student, was reported and fired.

You may be considering the new University in Nizwa, and of course there's no information (gossip?) about that yet, but what comes over loud and clear is that if you're young, female, pretty then Nizwa is not the place to go.

Sorry if this sounds negative - come to Oman, it's a great place, but make it Muscat.

All the best,
Crocus
dreamcatcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crocus,

I appreciate all opinions. I have heard about the negative treatment of women in the Middle East in general and this is one of my main concerns if I go there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcatcher,

Crocus is right that Nizwa would be the wrong place for you. Small villages are not the place for people who do not understand the culture and know how to handle the boys. It helps if you are a bit older. They are mostly harmless, but often foolish. Smile This is not the place for the young (under 40) swinging single of either sex.

But, I must come back and tell you that almost everything that you have heard about the negative treatment of women in the Middle East has come through the prejudice of Western culture and is exaggerated to a very great extent. I spent over 15 years living in various countries and traveling on my own to the rest. With very few exceptions, I was always treated with the utmost respect and kindness. But, I had taken the time to learn about the culture and a bit of the language. I dressed appropriately and acted appropriately - that is pretty much all it took.

Oman is a lovely country and my students were fantastic. But, the best jobs with the best conditions are those that require an MA and experience. The Gulf is not the best place to teach if you only have a BA, a cert, and a couple of years elsewhere.

I would definitely avoid this job in the 'outback' if you need a bit of social life. Personally I wouldn't consider it even with all my years of experience in the Middle East. But, if I could, I would take a job in Muscat in a moment.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: