Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! VIETNAM VS. THAILAND
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrizbriz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Help! VIETNAM VS. THAILAND Reply with quote

Hey guys,

My partner and I are currently based in Thailand. We both have approx. 6 months teaching experience, working with children. I have a TESOL, B.A. degree and a British TEFL certificate. My partner has a British TEFL certificate, an online TEFL certificate and a BA degree. I've worked in a government and a private primary school, for a 2 month internship and one semester respectively. My partner has worked for one semester in a government secondary school.

We've been job-hunting for the past 2-3 weeks, looking for a one-semester contract in a primary school in either Bangkok or Nakhon Si Thammarat. We have a few options (1 semester contract with a secondary school in BKK with a well-known agency, possibility of a primary position in Nakhon with a smaller agency and the possibility of a primary school position in BKK through two other agencies, one of which offers extra after-school classes for additional earnings.)

We both have two solid job offers in Bangkok but we want to save 10,000-15,000 baht a month ($282-$423). With the salaries for these jobs (34,000-37,000/month), this doesn't seem feasible once we factor in accommodation, transport, food & some kind of social life.

SO we're now considering Vietnam. We've read a lot about higher wages (around $20/hour for language centre work, or $1200-2000 a month in a public/private school) and the low cost of living, and it seems like a better option for saving money. However, we're concerned about timing. We gather that the next public/priv school term starts in February, and we need to be earning ASAP. Therefore, we're looking at finding language centre work.

Can anyone offer advice about how quickly you can find work, assuming we put the effort into visiting many schools in person with CVs, and schools we should target?

Any info muchly appreciated, as we're trying to decide whether to stay in Thailand, or take the leap to Vietnam!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means stay in Thailand...the land of Smiles and Thai Baths! Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, we're concerned about timing. We gather that the next public/priv school term starts in February, and we need to be earning ASAP.

There's fairly high turnover in VN, so have a look at online job listings before you rule out the possibility of getting a salaried position mid-term. Check the "international" schools.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to receive as many Thai Baths in Vietnam as in Thailand...given the choice of a smile I think you would be happier in the Land of Smiles! Very Happy
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "international schools" are unlikely to give you a job given their need to show their list of teachers that are licensed and in some cases with Masters degrees. Thailand is probably so overrun with Westerners that want to stay there that they can be this picky even though their credentials are fake. Vietnam has much higher pay than Thailand. In Thailand without a license from your own country you're most likely going to get paid between 30000 and 40000 Baht.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
The "international schools" are unlikely to give you a job given their need to show their list of teachers that are licensed and in some cases with Masters degrees. Thailand is probably so overrun with Westerners that want to stay there that they can be this picky even though their credentials are fake. Vietnam has much higher pay than Thailand. In Thailand without a license from your own country you're most likely going to get paid between 30000 and 40000 Baht.

The schools are often complicit with the fakes, otherwise, I think there are plenty of foreign teachers, who would "out them." When the crackdown comes; the teacher with the fake will take all of the blame. Salary closer to 30K (and below), except for some expensive areas of BKK.

I'm familiar with "soapy massages," but I've never heard of Thai Baths in the 18 years of been visiting. It does seem like 'Educator mention "Baths" in about every post. Perhaps he/she could explain to us newbies.
TeachtheFuture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thai Baths" is just the common way people misspell the Thai currency the Baht.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
Salary closer to 30K (and below), except for some expensive areas of BKK.

All the Brits receiving government dole and willing to work for the meager Thai school salary at the same time most likely keep the salaries down. Unfortunately I had to work with a whole slew of them at my school, they where in the majority, while receiving the ubiquitous 30,000 at the same time. For prospective teachers wanting to come to Thailand from the USA this may be something to think about.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me has noticed a lot of Vietnam Vets moving to the Land of Smiles to teach English....must be the Thai Baths!!!! Shocked
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would it be possible to claim 'the dole' while living/ working in Thailand? Wouldn't you need to go and sign on every couple weeks....?!! Shocked Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earning Thai Baths in the Land Of Smiles can be quite a rewarding experience...it depends on one's education and experience....as an EDUTAINER! Shocked
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam for higher wages but more stress.

Thailand for lower wages and millions relaxing of ways to blow you month's salary on the first weekend.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always possible to earn more THAI BATHS in the Land of Smiles than in the Land Of Stress....aka Vietnam!!!! Shocked
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Vietnam for higher wages but more stress.

Thailand for lower wages and millions relaxing of ways to blow you month's salary on the first weekend.

I don't know about the higher stress in Vietnam. I'd say having to live off the entry-level wages offered in a garden variety Thai language center would create a fair bit of stress. Around nine hundred US bucks a month gross for a 40-hour work week Confused. With a comparable job in Hanoi or Saigon, you'd be on around $1500 a month and not be expected to work anywhere near as many hours. You can live comfortably on that in VN and even save a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live in Thailand, but many of the things that are great about the Land of Smiles cost money to enjoy. Having said that, if the wages were good in Thailand and the good jobs relatively easy to get then every man and his dog would be over there. I know I would be Cool.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher stress in Viet Nam is usually related to lifestyle rather than your job.

For the VNese, life is all about work. Thais are primarily concerned with "sanook" (fun and enjoyment). It's one of the first words a visitor to Thailand will learn. What's "fun" in tieng Viet? Anybody know without looking it up?

As a result, the "vibes" in Vietnam are quite different from Thailand. There's a general feeling that you can't let your guard down. Just going to a restaurant or bar can be stressful because of the bizarre "service" from staff, for example. Dating is another common example.

Of course, Thailand isn't a paradise by any stretch of the imagination, and it certainly isn't as relaxed as it used to be. Viet Nam is improving in many ways and does have its charms, but as they say, they're "hidden".

Anyway, it's all quite subjective in the end and the best thing to do is visit both countries and see which one you prefer. Make sure you get out of Bangkok or Sai Gon/Ha Noi before making your decision though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: