Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Out of Teaching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mehrlin26

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Getting Out of Teaching Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting out of teaching ESL once I have enough money saved up in a year or two. I was wondering if anybody around here has any experience with that.

Just for context, I tried quitting ESL about ten years ago. I seemed to be making a go of it in another industry. Then a combination of money problems, personal problems, and the great collapse of 2007-2008 scuttled that attempt. Since 2012, I've been back teaching ESL but I can't say it's been getting any easier.

Just wondering, if you or anybody you know has tried to jump ship, where did they end up landing?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried, and failed. After a ten-year hiatus went scuttling back to TEFLing and the security of a monthly Saudi paycheque. Now I have retired I often think, "WTF was all that about ?"
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with disabled ESL students in K-12 classrooms. The disabilities range from deafness, ADHD, severe behavioural problems (ODD), and everything else under the sun. It isn't like ESL teaching, but a lot of the skills carry over. I do a lot more report writing and very little lesson planning.
mehrlin26

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, Scot47 that's depressing. What other work did you try to jump to?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I could make money writing. In fact I survived with the help of family and friends while doing jobs that are not appropriate for a gentleman !

My big chance to get back to TEFLing came when Saddam invaded Kuwait. No one wanted to go the Middle East. I put my hand up and said, "I can do that !" and so it went.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left EFL *for good* nearly two years ago after about eight years of working in teaching and education abroad. It's been pretty difficult; I'm over $150k in the red in opportunity cost and cost of additional training for breaking into a new field. Plus I have moved constantly in order to accept internships and jobs wherever they're offered. I have been successful in making the transition, but still am not fully settled in my new field.

Barring vast amounts of luck and/or charisma, it would appear to take 2-4 years of concentrated effort to break into a new field from TEFL. I began fully focusing on my career transition around December, 2012 while I was still teaching. During that last year of TEFL I began studying my MA, full time, in my new field, which was quite the challenge.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why try to get into another industry now? Is there another which offers;

1. Exotic places to live in!
2. The chance to work with engaged, intellectually curious young people!!
3. A life free from the hassles of the modern day, industrialised cities!!!
4. An escape from the drudgery of the commute!!!!
5. A job where you receive a great salary, competitive benefits and meet people from all over the world!!!!!
6. World-class teacher development programs!!!!!!
7. A workplace with a sense of adventure and community!!!!!!!
8. A great opportunity to learn a new language!!!!!!!!
9. A fantastic way to live overseas and get paid to travel the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
Why try to get into another industry now? Is there another which offers;

1. Exotic places to live in!
2. The chance to work with engaged, intellectually curious young people!!
3. A life free from the hassles of the modern day, industrialised cities!!!
4. An escape from the drudgery of the commute!!!!
5. A job where you receive a great salary, competitive benefits and meet people from all over the world!!!!!
6. World-class teacher development programs!!!!!!
7. A workplace with a sense of adventure and community!!!!!!!
8. A great opportunity to learn a new language!!!!!!!!
9. A fantastic way to live overseas and get paid to travel the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I've seen this ad before! Usually with pictures of palm trees and beaches!

scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLing is a lot better than the wage slavery that most people endure for a lifetime. It did not make me wealthy but it enriched my life in many ways.
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
EFLing is a lot better than the wage slavery that most people endure for a lifetime. It did not make me wealthy but it enriched my life in many ways.

Well scotty, not according to this article:

The slavery of teaching English
The job is tedious, the salary appalling and the prospects nil. Sebastian Cresswell-Turner laments that 'no one with a scrap of ambition' would choose to teach English as a foreign language.

'A pretty sad lot': Most teachers are cowed by the language schools, which are 'miserable bucket shops' that take 'a whacking great commission'

"Some TEFL slaves have been so thoroughly defeated that they don't even realise what has happened to them. I can sniff out the "lifers" a mile off . . . scruffy figures, utterly out of synch with the modern world, any style or sex-appeal they once possessed squeezed out of them by years of drudgery, exploitation and poverty."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/3325192/The-slavery-of-teaching-English.html
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well scotty, not according to this article:

The slavery of teaching English
The job is tedious, the salary appalling and the prospects nil. Sebastian Cresswell-Turner laments that 'no one with a scrap of ambition' would choose to teach English as a foreign language.

'A pretty sad lot': Most teachers are cowed by the language schools, which are 'miserable bucket shops' that take 'a whacking great commission'

Ugh, not that whiny guy's experiences again. Rolling Eyes
braveheart263

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie and really wanted to enter the field as opportunity to explore my interest in teaching and travel. But gosh, this has to be the most depressing and negative post, especailly the newspaper article, that I have read on this website.

In fact, most posts are not positive on this entire site. I find that some people genuinely want to help others, but for the most part, this site is almost anit-english teaching.

I want to leave a unfulfilling career but it seems that I may be jumping from the pan into the fire!.....Idk
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braveheart263 wrote:
I am a newbie and really wanted to enter the field as opportunity to explore my interest in teaching and travel. But gosh, this has to be the most depressing and negative post, especailly the newspaper article, that I have read on this website.

I want to leave a unfulfilling career but it seems that I may be jumping from the pan into the fire!.....Idk

That article is just one guy's personal account at a mediocre language school; it doesn't reflect everyone's teaching situation or experience.

You can still travel-n-teach. However, as I mentioned on your other thread, be realistic about the type of teaching conditions and situations you'd qualify for as a newbie. The field of TEFL is ever-changing.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braveheart263 wrote:

In fact, most posts are not positive on this entire site. I find that some people genuinely want to help others, but for the most part, this site is almost anit-english teaching.

It's not that TEFL can't be fulfilling. It definitely can. Many of the negatives that people describe are related to the lack of a clear trajectory of advancement in TEFL. Many people get into TEFL with very little or no relevant training or qualifications. In many places in the world, it's not very difficult to get a TEFL job with no training or qualifications. People eventually realize that without extensive training or qualifications (not just experience), there is a limit to what they can do, and they get stuck in entry-level positions. If they try to go back to their home country, they realize that their experiences teaching English abroad (without any formal training, so there's no guarantee they were even doing it well) is not very desirable.

You mention your "interest in teaching and travel." If you want to avoid many of the complaints that you see, I'd suggest that 1) you think of it more as 'working in a foreign culture' rather than 'traveling', and 2) if you want to teach, get formal training in teaching. Of course, you don't have to do these (as nomad soul says, you can still try to 'travel-n-teach'), but realize that you will likely end up with many of the same complaints.
mehrlin26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, let's stay a little grounded. That article dates from 2004. Every so often someone dusts it off and puts it back into circulation. I think I first read it around 2006 or 2007.

Braveheart263, this job can be fulfilling depending on what you are looking for. As RTM says, treat it as 'working in a foreign culture.' It will be a better experience overall and you might pick up more skills with that attitude. Remember that wherever you go is just as much the real world as the one you left behind.

That said, the experience doesn't count for much back home, as I can painfully attest (then again, post-great-recession, I'm not sure anything counts for very much anymore in most employers eyes). I do want to move on eventually, more for personal reasons (teaching was always more my parents' world than mine).

Also, take care Braveheart263. Do your research and if you hear too many horror stories about a particular place, listen to them; they're likely to be true. Beware the nuttier expats, especially the fantasists, the egomaniacs, and the terminal alcoholics. Above all, remember that there are some real snakes running some of these schools. Don't put anything past them until you get to know them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: