Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scot Welcomes Syrians
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Scot Welcomes Syrians Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34855250

Much debate on Scot47's island off the West Coast !

If you can't read the BBC link, here is another -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scotland-refugees-the-national-newspaper-syrians_564c38d8e4b045bf3df1ba66
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Ceud mìle fàilte? Reply with quote

White settlers unsettled by the prospect!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am not a racist, but.........."

has become a litany from some.
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still shocked by the vehement objections from a small but vocal minority here. Many of the noisiest are themselves incomers to the island.
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty, I suggest they built a "statue of liberty" in the island of Bute, to be a welcoming sight to Syrian immigrants, and an icon of freedom (similar to the statue of liberty in NY city). Smile

I suggest the image of the "statue of liberty" in the island of Bute to be similar to the image of the legendary Egyptian Princess Scota.
Do you know that Scots are descended from the Egyptian princess Scota?Smile
http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/al-fayed-s-statue-of-liberty-for-independence-1-3273578
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graven images and statues are not permitted. The council would refuse planning permission.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems strange that many of the most vocal objectors are those with surnames indicating ancestry in Ireland. Descendants of those who fled "The Great Hunger" in the 1840s are not always welcoming to others.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thenational.scot/news/bute-welcomes-first-of-15-refugee-families-from-syria.10836

If you prefer the truly ghastly Daily Mail -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346135/Syrian-refugee-families-receive-warm-welcome-locals-not-weather-arrive-new-homes-Scottish-Isle-Bute.html
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest news of the Syrian families on the Isle of Bute, Scotland, says they are finding it very difficult to adapt to the new environment and the weather.

http://news.yahoo.com/rainy-scottish-isle-syrians-struggle-adapt
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold, rainy and windy for those who've landed in Toronto this week as well. Sorry we can't make it warm and sunny for them! At least no-one's dropping bombs on them, though. So far, they seem pretty happy and grateful on the news.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poor piece of writing by the self-styled "journalist" in the text on Yahoo above. On our advice the Syrians here told the journo to "get lost". So he went away and penned a negative piece. Did he need to travel here to the West Coast to find that we have high rainfall in the winter ?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the writing was pretty poor:-) Must have been an expense-account trip and he'd have preferred to be sent south!
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other woman, who wore a black headscarf, said she could not find Arabic coffee, roast pumpkin seeds or "Mate", a caffeine-rich drink popular in Syria.

I'm just glad Brits abroad adapt well and don't bemoan the absence of everyday items.

And I just know the enterprising scot47 has a house full of pumpkin seeds ready for roasting.

On a more constructive note, whilst the article is garbage, I would hope social services would have consulted with established UK-based Syrians as to what these newcomers would like to see. Halal meat is an obvious one, which I assume was thought of, but other small things would make a big difference and wouldn't cost much. That would at least give the newcomers encouragement to assimilate.

As TEFLers, we wouldn't expect a home from home in a foreign land and would hopefully soon adapt. But I know people who would go bonkers and/or starve to death if they had to spend a week out of their limited horizon comfort zone and move from little England to somewhere like Germany with its "foreign muck" food. Most such types read the Daily Mail and were first to offer "if you don't like it..." comments.

I'm in Malaysia right now and dying for a cheese sandwich, mature cheddar with Branston pickle. Can't find either Sad
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my early days of exile in the Middle East I used to have fantasies about pork pies and Guinness. I no longer drink the Irish beer - or any other kind. I am still partial to pork in its many forms.

Hod is right in that we as TEFLers are a bit more flexible than your average Daily Mail reader.

Last edited by scot47 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: