Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

“dog whistle” politics in the USA!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: “dog whistle” politics in the USA! Reply with quote

"Republicans have been outdoing each other in the vehemence of their statements about Syrian refugees in what the White House views as disturbing xenophobia"

"What used to be called “dog whistle” politics became a shrill blast heard around the world this week as American politicians reacted to the Paris terrorist attacks with an anti-refugee backlash that sounded ferocious even by the standards of the 2016 presidential race"

“If there is a rabid dog running around your neighbourhood, you are probably not going to assume something good about that dog and you are probably going to put your children away,” said presidential candidate Ben Carson as he called for a US ban on all Syrian refugees, “rabid” or otherwise.

Barack Obama has been swift to condemn the new tone in American politics as “offensive and hysterical”, as he pinned his hopes on Democrats in the Senate to stem what the White House views as a disturbing xenophobic tide.

“When I hear political leaders suggesting that there would be a religious test for which person who’s fleeing from a war-torn country is admitted, when some of those folks themselves come from families who benefited from protection when they were fleeing political persecution, that’s shameful,” said Obama during a trip to Asia. “That’s not American. That’s not who we are. We don’t have religious tests to our compassion.”
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/20/carson-trump-refugee-rhetoric-dog-whistle-politics

The land of dream is not anymore ....... and the Statue of Liberty would be "bowing its head in shame" at the refugee bill, the new mood is distinctly un-American.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No response yet from Trump on the following:

Muslim Marine masterfully bashes Trump by posting his military ID badge: ‘Where’s yours?’
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/muslim-marine-masterfully-bashes-trump-by-posting-his-military-id-badge-wheres-yours/

Gotcha!
Cool
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps special ID badges for Muslims is not going to solve the issue of Islamic terrorism. Instead how about cordoning off entire Muslim neighborhoods with citizens and police and then performing domicile visits to check for terrorist devices and other illegal things that extremist Muslims shouldn't have. That might be difficult to do in the USA since Muslims are more integrated there. However for Europe that might produce good results. It produced wonderful results during the French Revolution. All people want is to get rid of those that dislike their host countries solely on account of their host countries not being Muslim or Muslim like enough. After all the Muslims who live in the countries where the Muslim immigrants come from feel entitled to do the same thing i.e. kick individuals out over religious and cultural differences.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

After all the Muslims who live in the countries where the Muslim immigrants come from feel entitled to do the same thing i.e. kick individuals out over religious and cultural differences.

So you are arguing for European countries to become more like those countries that Muslim immigrants have come from?

grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Cordon bleu Reply with quote

Quote:
It produced wonderful results during the French Revolution.

I'm not aware of any anti-Muslim measures during the French Revolution. Please elaborate.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Instead how about cordoning off entire Muslim neighborhoods with citizens and police and then performing domicile visits to check for terrorist devices and other illegal things that extremist Muslims shouldn't have... It produced wonderful results during the French Revolution.
Like organized mobs? Sounds more Old Testament to me: Like smearing lamb's blood on doors.
And in the process, deny all Muslims of their rights of property and any sense of privacy or autonomy.
Quote:
All people want is to get rid of those that dislike their host countries solely on account of their host countries not being Muslim or Muslim like enough.
All people want is to... protect themselves and, in free societies, where people are treated equally and not breeds of livestock, that is problematic.
Quote:
After all the Muslims who live in the countries where the Muslim immigrants come from feel entitled to do the same thing i.e. kick individuals out over religious and cultural differences.
Your posts naively address challenges as though government might better discern lies and motivation if granted greater power, but cannot distinguish the expediency of facism from the accomplisment of statutory and democratic republics. The hypocrisy of other nation's governments or traditions or people shouldn't rationalize free people to deny others their freedom. And you continue to employ stereotype based on your anecdotal experience (and interpretations of) what some Muslims do and say to apply it to a larger population of adherents to the faith of Islam.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cordon bleu Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Quote:
It produced wonderful results during the French Revolution.

I'm not aware of any anti-Muslim measures during the French Revolution. Please elaborate.

Perhaps PlumpyNut was reffering to the "quartiers" of Paris established in 1789. They did not address Muslims (were there many in Paris?) but gave each district some local control over who lived there and how the neighborhood was governed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_sections_of_Paris
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
No response yet from Trump on the following:

Muslim Marine masterfully bashes Trump by posting his military ID badge: ‘Where’s yours?’
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/muslim-marine-masterfully-bashes-trump-by-posting-his-military-id-badge-wheres-yours/

Gotcha!
Cool

This seems like a non sequitur. Trump never served in the military and so would not have a military ID. The American individual has an ID because he is in the armed forces, not because he is a Muslim.

In any case, requiring people of a specific religion to carry an ID would be impossible in the US. Besides, many foreign-born people in the US already have special ID cards-green cards.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me run this through for you, step-by[step:

1. Trump questions the patriotism of American Muslims by doing the following:

"Donald Trump said Thursday the United States should create a database of Muslims in the country.

"Oh, I would certainly implement that — absolutely," Trump said in a brief interview with NBC News following a town hall event in Iowa on Thursday evening.

In an interview with Trump published Thursday morning by Yahoo News, the Republican front-runner would not rule out taking extreme measures, such as allowing warrant-less searches or requiring faith-based identification. Trump previously said he would consider closing some mosques in the United States."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/20/donald-trump-would-certainly-and-absolutely-create-a-database-of-muslims/

2. Trump avoided service during the Vietnam War by getting deferments, some of them questionable:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/questions-linger-about-trumps-draft-deferments-during-vietnam-war/2015/07/21/257677bc-2fdd-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html

3. The Muslim Marine (and many other Muslims) joined the Marine Corps,

Question: Whose love of country really needs to be questioned? Who was willing to make sacrifices for his country?

https://perrystreetpalace.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/muslimgravesatarlington.png

Any clearer now?

Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the Navy then deferred it. Not a bad choice for me or the country I come from. That Trump would talk about getting around the Constitution is nothing new. Ron Paul was the last chance and people ignored it, I will not be going back.
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Any clearer now?

Regards,
John

Yes, I read those and similar links. Thanks.

There was a claim that a reporter started the idea of a database and then Trump responded and then backtracked (uncharacteristic of him).

His dodging of service in Vietnam is not admirable or unique. Clinton took heat from the GOP for doing much the same. Now the liberals are attacking Trump. Fair enough, politics is war.
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
expediency of facism

Ah, the new F-word. Such a strong, exonymic word. In the US, both Libs and Cons throw that word at each other.

In Europe, some righist parties are being called the F-word for opposing refugee settlement or making "hateful" comments about Muslim immigration. On the other hand, Merkel spoke with Zuckerberg about curtailing "racist" and "xenophobic" comments on Facebook.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-26/merkel-confronts-facebook-s-zuckerberg-over-policing-hate-posts

Less than a year after Merkel marched in favor of freedom of speech following the Charlie Hebdo attacks, a German court imprisons an 87-year old woman for Holocaust denial (a crime in Germany).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_Haverbeck

Now who's the fascist?
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Fair enough, politics is war.
Politics is the art of the possible.
-- Otto von Bismarck

Politics among democratically elected/represented republics is a mature and realistic admission and administration of a plurality of beliefs, interests, and cultural traditions.

"Democ­racy is the worst form of gov­ern­ment, except for all the oth­ers”
-- unsourced aphorism

Churchill's reflections:
    If I had to sum up the imme­di­ate future of demo­c­ra­tic pol­i­tics in a sin­gle word I should say “insur­ance.” That is the future—insurance against dan­gers from abroad, insur­ance against dan­gers scarcely less grave and much more near and con­stant which threaten us here at home in our own island. —Free Trade Hall, Man­ches­ter, 23 May 1909

At the bot­tom of all the trib­utes paid to democ­racy is the lit­tle man, walk­ing into the lit­tle booth, with a lit­tle pen­cil, mak­ing a lit­tle cross on a lit­tle bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or volu­mi­nous dis­cus­sion can pos­si­bly dimin­ish the over­whelm­ing impor­tance of that point. —House of Com­mons, 31 Octo­ber 1944

How is that word “democ­racy” to be inter­preted? My idea of it is that the plain, hum­ble, com­mon man, just the ordi­nary man who keeps a wife and fam­ily, who goes off to fight for his coun­try when it is in trou­ble, goes to the poll at the appro­pri­ate time, and puts his cross on the bal­lot paper show­ing the can­di­date he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foun­da­tion of democ­racy. And it is also essen­tial to this foun­da­tion that this man or woman should do this with­out fear, and with­out any form of intim­i­da­tion or vic­tim­iza­tion. He marks his bal­lot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected rep­re­sen­ta­tives and together decide what gov­ern­ment, or even in times of stress, what form of gov­ern­ment they wish to have in their coun­try. If that is democ­racy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Com­mons, 8 Decem­ber 1944
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
steki47 wrote:
Fair enough, politics is war.
Politics is the art of the possible.
-- Otto von Bismarck

Politics among democratically elected/represented republics is a mature and realistic admission and administration of a plurality of beliefs, interests, and cultural traditions.

"Democ­racy is the worst form of gov­ern­ment, except for all the oth­ers”
-- unsourced aphorism

Churchill's reflections:
    If I had to sum up the imme­di­ate future of demo­c­ra­tic pol­i­tics in a sin­gle word I should say “insur­ance.” That is the future—insurance against dan­gers from abroad, insur­ance against dan­gers scarcely less grave and much more near and con­stant which threaten us here at home in our own island. —Free Trade Hall, Man­ches­ter, 23 May 1909

At the bot­tom of all the trib­utes paid to democ­racy is the lit­tle man, walk­ing into the lit­tle booth, with a lit­tle pen­cil, mak­ing a lit­tle cross on a lit­tle bit of paper—no amount of rhetoric or volu­mi­nous dis­cus­sion can pos­si­bly dimin­ish the over­whelm­ing impor­tance of that point. —House of Com­mons, 31 Octo­ber 1944

How is that word “democ­racy” to be inter­preted? My idea of it is that the plain, hum­ble, com­mon man, just the ordi­nary man who keeps a wife and fam­ily, who goes off to fight for his coun­try when it is in trou­ble, goes to the poll at the appro­pri­ate time, and puts his cross on the bal­lot paper show­ing the can­di­date he wishes to be elected to Parliament—that he is the foun­da­tion of democ­racy. And it is also essen­tial to this foun­da­tion that this man or woman should do this with­out fear, and with­out any form of intim­i­da­tion or vic­tim­iza­tion. He marks his bal­lot paper in strict secrecy, and then elected rep­re­sen­ta­tives and together decide what gov­ern­ment, or even in times of stress, what form of gov­ern­ment they wish to have in their coun­try. If that is democ­racy, I salute it. I espouse it. I would work for it.” —House of Com­mons, 8 Decem­ber 1944

Churchill is best remembered as a warmonger.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one on this thread has termed another a fascist. You've openly admitted an agenda to represent a minority perspective to give balance to what you assert is a rampancy of "L"iberal ones. Your contributions are too often merely disruptive to reasonable discussion and occassionaly toxic in character.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: