Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz Language Centre Kuwait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mujaahidt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Berlitz Language Centre Kuwait Reply with quote

Hi,

Have any of you heard of/worked for Berlitz language centre in Kuwait? I have been trying to find information on the centre but have not been succesful. Any information would be much appreciated.

Also, they are offering $2000(KWD 602) including shared housing, medical cover, all flights and visas covered and transport to and from work.

Is it worth considerinng the offer if you want to save and live a normal life.

Thank you.

Last edited by mujaahidt on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment about the pay. However, avoid Berlitz if you're looking to enhance your CV.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2,000/Month in Kuwait + shared housing???.....you will not be able to save any money....Kuwait is extremely expensive these days....and Berlitz has the worst reputation in the GULF. Even Sub-Indian continentals make more than this teaching English in Kuwait!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Berlitz in New York City (Rock Center) and because the company is going broke, they will give you the lowest salary possible.
If you are happy with that, then go ahead and work for them.
Don't expect too much from them. High turnover rate...even in the States.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Berlitz EFL teachers I have met in the Middle East and in Asia have told me Berlitz was their first teaching job...and that prior to that they were jobless for years and living on social welfare. Shocked Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
And that prior to that they were jobless for years and living on social welfare. Shocked Shocked

Which says nothing about their character. So why keep bringing it up?
fadedgirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling you what I know from personal experience.
Every single teacher at Rock Center was part-time because the company didn't want to pay for health insurance or any other benefits. If they do that at Rock Center, which has been there since 1950...do you think that Kuwait is going to be an exception? If you want to work there, work there. But do it knowing full well that they are paying you the lowest salary possible.

If you want to work for Berlitz AND be treated decently AND get a decent wage, then go to France. At least there are legally mandated hours and benefits that they have to give you because the government says so.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I earned more than that in 2000 plus I had free furnished accommodation, transport to work etc. I was back in Kuwait a few years ago and I could not believe how expensive it has become.

I'd pass on the offer.
talktome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Most Berlitz EFL teachers I have met in the Middle East and in Asia have told me Berlitz was their first teaching job...and that prior to that they were jobless for years and living on social welfare. Shocked Shocked

I will be working for Berlitz in Kuwait at the end of February. Right now they are subcontracted by the company Raytheon, which handles many US government contracts around the world. They contract teachers to teach for the militaries in Saudi Arabia and the UAE and I guess they are now taking over from Qualitas, which ran the program when I was there last time.

The management for the Berlitz contract is headquartered in Bahrain and they have no idea about what they are gonna do in Kuwait. The director for recruitment in Bahrain was stumped when I told them about the disciplinary problems teachers had with the Kuwaiti soldiers. In fact, he had little knowledge about the program at all and was all the more happy that I was on board because I knew the program, I knew how to teach it and I knew what to expect from the students. I will even be teaching at the same building on Subhan Air Force Base near Kuwait City.

What a lot of people don't know or what turned people off from working for Berlitz in Kuwait is that they will withhold your first months salary until the end of the contract and give it back as a bonus at the end of the year.

You might be asking, why the f--- am I taking this job?
I liked Kuwait, a lot. I liked the job a lot and I know what to expect. I also get $3000 a month from my VA pension, so even if they withhold my first month's salary, I still have money to live. When you add 600KD from work and about 845KD from my pension, that is more than 1400KD I would get a month. Then if I teach online part time, my savings adds up.

I could either rent my own accommodations in Kuwait later or simply spruce up my room that I will share with the other teacher (I like it because I won't feel lonely in a big apartment).

I am in it for self improvement- I am going back into the ESL teaching field after being out of it for almost 10 years. True, the school and conditions might be crappy, but I want this job for the experience it will give me- did you know that in addition to flying me to Kuwait, they are flying the teachers to Texas to attend 2 weeks of training at the Defense Language School on Lackland Air Force Base? They are also paying for single hotel rooms for the teachers during this training. This is invaluable training that can help me in my career.
I can add this to my resume and then seek another job later.
For me, it is all about experience and enjoying my time in Kuwait.
As for being expensive, really?
Then I would have to use my military retirement ID card to go to Arifjan Air Force Base to shopping at their PX and Commissary. I plan on going to the bowling ally there on weekends and maybe to their post club for a drink or two.
talktome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my bad
It's Camp Arifjan
I just saw what they have to offer- 2 PXs, 3 free gyms, a bowling ally, restaurants and even a co-ed movie theater, which is impossible to find elsewhere in Kuwait.
I will call the PMO office tomorrow to see if I can go there, but I was told my ID would give me access to US bases anywhere overseas.
How's that for 'social welfare' Wink

Point- be careful of what you say because you might be putting your foot in your mouth. Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I am in it for self improvement- I am going back into the ESL teaching field after being out of it for almost 10 years. True, the school and conditions might be crappy, but I want this job for the experience it will give me- did you know that in addition to flying me to Kuwait, they are flying the teachers to Texas to attend 2 weeks of training at the Defense Language School on Lackland Air Force Base? They are also paying for single hotel rooms for the teachers during this training. This is invaluable training that can help me in my career.
I can add this to my resume and then seek another job later.[/
quote]

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but Berlitz on your resume isn't going to appeal to better schools anywhere....nor is their training valued. This is true of all the 'method' schools (Callan is another such animal). They train you to use their outdated and discredited methods, and practicing those isn't going to jibe with the methods desired by reputable schools most places.

I'm not saying it isn't a reasonable gig under some circumstances - the benefits you describe certainly sound fine for you- but don't count on this being a resume-enhancer when it's over.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that this is not a Berlitz language school job. This is Berlitz managing a military contract. This poster likely wants to stay in military related teaching, so it shouldn't be a negative...

It won't be the Berlitz system, but the DLI system from Lackland.

VS
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, fair enough. If he wants to get out of the system, though, he'll need to clarify this carefully on his CV/resume!

Berlitz, Rolling Eyes (in general)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean... but the Gulf military related teaching jobs are rather not an area we women know much about... since we're not eligible. Cool It's a whole other world. (of usually much higher pay and benefits once you get into the system)

VS
clapdemcheeks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been offered the same job. But after reading some of these comments, I now have doubts. This will be my first paid ESL job ( I completed my CELTA in July 2015 and have three months teaching experience to adults). Based on this information, is this a good starting job for me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: