Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Teaching in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: University Teaching in Europe Reply with quote

We all know there are opportunities to teach at private companies, academies, and some public school programs in Europe. But how about opportunities teaching university in Europe? Has anyone done it before? Advice on how/where to look?

Thank you
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the past 15 years nearly at two European universities, and we have connections with other institutions across the continent. I am speaking of 'real' universities, not private ones; I know little about those except that they are bound by the same EU hiring rules as any other school.

For the 'real' universities you usually need related MA and experience. Even then, there is lots of competition for relatively few job openings. The jobs are usually held by long-timers in a region, who have families and long-term ties (and local connections and language skills), so there's not a lot of turn-over.

Basically, the best way in is to pick a city (where you can work legally; if you're not from an EU member country, you're limited to Central/Eastern Europe or Germany), come over and pay some dues. You MIGHT find something from abroad, but it's pretty unlikely.
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am speaking of 'real' universities, not private ones; I know little about those except that they are bound by the same EU hiring rules as any other school.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'real' universities?
Do you mean public universities?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for profit. Where you can't buy a degree.
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think most private universities are non-profit organizations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_university
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all sure that 'most' is accurate - I think it's very region-dependent.

But the alternative explanation for 'real' in my context would be public/state. They require solid qualifications for faculty (I am faculty), have fairly high academic standards for student admissions, and students can (and unfortunately do) fail and leave the institution without degrees if their work warrants it.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at the University of Shumen in Bulgaria in the 1990s. There was at that time a large expansion in the production of English teachers and others with English related skills. That boom is over now. Bulgaria is self-sufficient in English teachers.

Salary was very low when I was there, although the university made every effort to pay me a salary I could live on.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

I thought all universities were trying to make money nowadays. Hence the huge interest in overseas students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: