Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

income potential for a private langauge institute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsavoie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

Under Law of Aminity, as an American, I can wholly own a business in Thailand.

My question is how much might one be able to make running a private language institute?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

Owning a private language school or just managing one? Or both?
wsavoie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Owning a private language school or just managing one? Or both?

Both, and probably teaching, too. I have a BA in English and MA in ESL from two reasonably well respected universities in America, twenty years teaching experience in US public high schools, and my wife is a native born Korean with a BA in French and a MA in ESL, so depending on the market, maybe three languages. I also have basic conversation knowledge and grammar of Thai. The plan would be to set up shop near some regional Thai university and give it a go.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

wsavoie wrote:
Both, and probably teaching, too.

The plan would be to set up shop near some regional Thai university and give it a go.

The experts will pipe in. But frankly, rather than asking on this forum, you should be planning a fact-finding trip to Thailand to investigate the potential for business opportunities as well as demographics, competition from other schools, start-up and operating costs, etc.
wsavoie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
wsavoie wrote:
Both, and probably teaching, too.

The plan would be to set up shop near some regional Thai university and give it a go.

The experts will pipe in. But frankly, rather than asking on this forum, you should be planning a fact-finding trip to Thailand to investigate the potential for business opportunities as well as demographics, competition from other schools, start-up and operating costs, etc.

I will. Thank you for your honesty. I have one expat friend who has been there for 15 years, although not in this business. I could just as easily get a retirement visa and be done with it, but I like working.

I had considered posting this on the ThaiVisa website, but feared the cynics. Maybe the same here, but always worth asking.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: income potential for a private langauge institute Reply with quote

wsavoie wrote:
Under Law of Aminity, as an American, I can wholly own a business in Thailand.

My question is how much might one be able to make running a private language institute?

You might want to look further into that concept. Education is a protected industry and other laws (like the education act or private school's act) may restrict that idea.

Capital costs and facility requirements for starting a licensed private school (language or other), whether formal, informal or non-formal may also be barriers to entry that you need to consider. Lots of schools are illegally operating as a result but as a foreigner there can be significant consequences to doing so.

Finally, the visa issue; a company must employ at least 4 Thais or have paid in capital in the multi-millions of baht range to be allowed to employ you, as an owner or as an employee to earn a wage or salary from the company and obtain a visa.

That all said, I started here 6 years ago with a failing (low achievement scores and falling enrollments) private school, with an enrollment of about 400 students (k-12) and annual revenues of about 7 million baht. We now have 3 new buildings, 1800 students (K-12) and annual gross revenues in excess of 50 million.

How deep are your pocket and how strong is your commitment.
A simple retirement visa or working part time at the local university language center (to obtain your non-b and work permit) might be a better option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: