Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA Course in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patriciamrozek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: CELTA Course in Cairo Reply with quote

I haven't seen much action at all on the Cairo forums these days and I'm hoping to get some help.

I'm playing with the idea of doing the CELTA in Cairo and searching for a job afterwards. Would this be plausible at all? Or is it impossible to teach there without a masters?

I'm an american and would be going on a tourist visa. I have my TEFL through i-to-i (which I barely consider a TEFL at all), 6 months experience in Korea full-time and 3 years part-time experience in Spain. I also have a bachelor's in Business but no related business experience.

If this doesn't work out, looks like I'll be getting my masters and trying to head to the Middle East at a later date!

Any updated info about Egypt would be appreciated. Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA Course in Cairo Reply with quote

patriciamrozek wrote:
I have my TEFL through i-to-i (which I barely consider a TEFL at all), 6 months experience in Korea full-time and 3 years part-time experience in Spain. I also have a bachelor's in Business but no related business experience.

If this doesn't work out, looks like I'll be getting my masters and trying to head to the Middle East at a later date!

You might also consider the Professional Certificate in English Language Teaching (PCELT) through AMIDEAST and World Learning/SIT Graduate Institute.

That said, given your minimal full-time teaching experience, why not continue building a couple of years of experience at your current job (Korea?) before completing TEFL training and heading to the ME? That would maximize your chances for work. Additionally, if you're interested in pursuing an MA TESOL, check out MA in TESOL from AUC in this same forum.
patriciamrozek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually back in the US recovering from vocal nodes and thinking about my options. I've seen in so many other posts that staying in Asia to get a few more years under your belt is advisable, but I didn't love it there. I'd rather go somewhere else that interests me more.

Thanks so much for the links! I'll have to check out AUC. Is the PCELT a better option than the CELTA for teaching in Egypt? My iraqi friend that lived in Egypt for 10 years seems to think if I just go there I'll be able to find something with the help of the people he knows... but I'm not sure how realistic that is even if I do end up doing the CELTA there.

Thanks again!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCELT is equivalent to the CELTA in terms of length of instruction and the supervised/assessed teaching component. The obvious difference is that it's an American teacher training qualification designed by SIT Graduate Institute. The PCELT was discussed at length on AMIDEAST PCELT for Saudi.

As for job opportunities, check out Beginner Teacher considering Egypt as a first; the situation is somewhat similar to yours.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patriciamrozek wrote:
I'm actually back in the US recovering from vocal nodes and thinking about my options. I've seen in so many other posts that staying in Asia to get a few more years under your belt is advisable, but I didn't love it there. I'd rather go somewhere else that interests me more.

Thanks so much for the links! I'll have to check out AUC. Is the PCELT a better option than the CELTA for teaching in Egypt? My iraqi friend that lived in Egypt for 10 years seems to think if I just go there I'll be able to find something with the help of the people he knows... but I'm not sure how realistic that is even if I do end up doing the CELTA there.

Thanks again!

You technically don't need a degree in teaching if you want to work in Istanbul, though it would help. As far as I know you could do it. A friend of mine has a master's in biology and a CELTA. She's teaching at a university in Turkey. I don't know about Egypt, but, with your credentials, they may not pay well. Would Turkey interest you? The British Council in Cairo's very nice. I like their staff. I'm not doing the CELTA. I am taking another class there, but I like the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: