Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The perfect lesson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knedliki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: The perfect lesson Reply with quote

Sat in a cafe recently I noticed an American delivering a loud political monologue to a woman sat opposite him. She tried several times to interject but was just talked over. At the end of his monologue he said "well, that was a good lesson, your English is really good, just keep learning new phrases....blah blah blah

I nearly spat my cappuccino out.

Has anyone witnessed similar EFL butchery?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common. The phenomenon of 105% TTT is not unusual. People who like their own voices become teachers.

I don't do it in the classroom anymore. I just bombard the world with self-aggrandising nonsense on internet fora !
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL? No, not so much. I once quit an Advanced French Conversation course, because the teacher spent 90% of the time talking about her cat. It was pretty disappointing, especially considering it was a government francization program.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of those things that people should be made aware of in Teacher Training. It comes as a shock to some when they realise that they have been doing all the talking when the students should be given some talking time !
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Common. The phenomenon of 105% TTT is not unusual. People who like their own voices become teachers.

I don't do it in the classroom anymore. I just bombard the world with self-aggrandising nonsense on internet fora !

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried studying at Goethe Institut, Instituto Cervantes, Alliance Francaise and a Thai language school. Out of those, one teacher at a Goethe (in Berlin) was very good. The others hadn't the foggiest. TTT was at least 90% due to student interaction being zero, e.g.

Teacher: What's the answer to number 7?
Student 1: Bananas
Teacher: Yes, Bananas
Student 2: What?
Teacher: Bananas

It takes guts to step back, put a sock in it and force students, who’ve never seen student-centred teaching before, to speak to each other. The other teachers at the places above had no such guts, and this was especially grating as the students were all international, i.e. the easiest of the easiest to get talking.

Here we go with a generalisation: I’ve worked with native-speaking English teachers with MAs. They were dreadful, preferring to lecture groups of ten rather than having the guts to step back and put a sock in it.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, not the old simplistic "TTT bad" line again.

Let's be honest, a fair bit of STT isn't that great (up to much) either, and tasks or activities are rarely specified in truly sufficient linguistic detail in the average lesson (i.e. how often do unanticipated difficulties arise?). And contrary to what tight-lipped trainers may insist or tell you, many students would prefer to talk to native speakers than not whenever possible.

Either way, it admittedly takes a lot more pedagogical imagination, especially in larger classes, than the example "dialogues" above are exhibiting to impart enough of communicative value than mere "input" (not sure that checking answers is that great an achievement to really farm out though!).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total
D. Amokachi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a fair few bad teachers and in my opinion it's usually down to a lack of training. A lot of people, myself included when I first started out, seem to think that if you can speak English then you can just turn up and teach it. They're not the same thing.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
many students would prefer to talk to native speakers than not whenever possible..

They can fork out for one-to-one lessons then. Failing that, it's the teacher's job to get them talking.

Teacher Bob: What's the answer to number 7?
Student 2: What?

If I walked past at that point, I'd think Teacher Bob had done something right.
adventious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what's gained by stories about incompetence nearly everyone encounters over time in any profession. Vinegary.
Confused
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here we go with a generalisation: I’ve worked with native-speaking English teachers with MAs. They were dreadful, preferring to lecture groups of ten rather than having the guts to step back and put a sock in it.

Hate to break the news, but having an MA doesn't automatically signal poor teaching skills Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

In fact, I know many and work with more who prefer to run class from the back of the room with absolute minimal ttt. I realize that's bursting bubbles, but hopefully we'll all survive. Laughing
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I partially withdraw the MA comment, although I did admit it was a generalisation based on some former colleagues.

For a lot of teachers, though, the thought of stepping back and letting students speak is terrifying, that loss of control. I’d say grow a pair. If it doesn’t work, think it through and try again. Don’t be like those boring entertainers I suffered at Cervantes or Goethe.

fluffyhamster wrote:
many students would prefer to talk to native speakers than not whenever possible.

If Henrik from Munich wants to order a beer in Bangkok, naughty man, he’ll have to do it in English. Most adults who learn English know they’ll end up speaking it to other non-native English speakers, hopefully in more challenging situations than our Henrik.

I think students would love to talk English with other non-native speakers in class as long as the topic is interesting and mistakes are seen to be corrected. This last part is the challenge. I’d got them to speak in a group, bravo. I’m not going to interrupt now. But how to correct them?

I remember taking breaks at the British Council where I’d quickly type out ten or so modified sentences of what I’d just heard students say in a discussion. Some sentences had mistakes; others were fine. I’d let the students discuss right or wrong after the break. When typing, I’d also look around in the staffroom to see teachers asleep, surfing the net or smoking outside. This was the so-called British Council…

I wasn’t the greatest teacher ever, but I always got most of the students speaking, which is more than I can say for most of my colleagues.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventious wrote:
I don't understand what's gained by stories about incompetence nearly everyone encounters over time in any profession. Vinegary.
Confused

I know what you mean but people just need to let off steam sometimes.

There was a TED talk by Bill Gates that tried to quantify the effect teachers with MAs have on students in the US. No significant effect was the result. I know that's easy to pick holes in but a lot of education just seems to be a money making exercise

Re the TTT I'm with Hod and happy to take a back seat. If the students are given the right framework and clear instructions then let them get on with it.
I wouldn't say I'm the best teacher in the world either but I cringe when I see some of the things colleagues do.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no great champion of pair work and remember how horrified some students were when I suggested that they could learn from other students. "Teacher I want to hear you !" If they are paying customers........................
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the customer isn't always right Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: