Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highest Salary in Turkey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wicked_Witch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Highest Salary in Turkey Reply with quote

I work for a small university in a small town in Turkey. My salary is 6700 lira per month gross, around 4500 lira per month net, something about the tax system makes it change every month.

The boss says that this is the highest salary for an ESL/EFL teacher in all of Turkey. Is that true? Is there any way to check?
nichtta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your employer is either misinformed, or lying. I was offered 4300 TL net at a private elementary school just last year and it's not rare to find salaries of 4500 TL net for private university lecturers here. I personally know of this, and I was called by a recruiter a month or two ago for a private grade school offering 4500 TL net. However, I had already committed to my current place of employment. So, that's false information. Now, if you're working for a public university, then that's a different story. In that case, your employer is probably right (if you're a university lecturer with only a BA). Public universities have set standards for salaries across the country for Turkish citizens. For foreigners it's not set, and it's usually lower or equal to what they make.

Note that Turkish university professors make more in the east and in small towns because less people want to move there than counties like Istanbul. In addition, as I'm sure is the case where you live, things (such as rent, food, transportation) are cheaper in these smaller towns. Therefore the perk of sacrificing big city life is a higher salary in a small town place where you can save up more money anyways because of lower prices.
guitarboy53

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chime in here and say while I don't know the answer to the original question, I know some schools pay more than the 4700 TL net by offering some money under the table. They may get around 60-75% directly deposited to their bank account with the rest being paid in cash. Something to consider.
crobizzle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this is an 'average' salary, but certainly not the highest. As guitarboy53 mentioned, there are other ways of making the salary higher. I've always received an additional housing stipend, or else free housing at all of my jobs.

There are several very good K-12 private schools which pay salaries of $30,000-$40,000 to certified ESL teachers, but as mentioned by nichtta, the higher salaries are often further east, or in less desirable places.
shadylane85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of jobs at more than 4500TL per month - especially in Istanbul.

If you are willing to work in a school, and have a proper degree and ESL cert (CELTA) you can earn around 9000TL. ($3000).

If you are a properly certified teacher, you can earn more still.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wish I had a higher salary. I work for a public university, and it's roughly 3,500 TL if you work for a public university (net). Some friends who work for a private university nearby get close to 5,500 TL (net). I have an M.A. in TESOL and experience. I'm planning on making the leap some time this year.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that due to extreme competition by EFL teachers for jobs in Istanbul average EFL teacher salaries are around 2,800 Turkish Lira per month with no other benefits....Is this really true? How can EFL teachers manage to save anything in Istanbul on these miserly LOW wages!!!!! Shocked
Shalana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average salary depends on city and whether you are a native English speaker. 2800 tl a month sounds like it might be the average for a non-native English speaker. Salaries have a pretty big range especially in Istanbul. I would guess the average in Istanbul for a native English speaker with the proper credentials and some experience is around 3800-4000 tl net per month based on what I've heard others say they are making. But, the high end starts at around 5000 tl net per month and can go up to 9000 or more.
Nebbich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah Gul University in Kayseri offers about TL9000 + housing.
tic1888

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: :-) Reply with quote

Hi Nebbich!

Do you know this for a fact or is it just what you think?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: