Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guangzhou 13000RMB Vs Epik - Savings? Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruwen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Guangzhou 13000RMB Vs Epik - Savings? Advice please Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been offered a contract in Guangzhou. and I'm trying to figure out how much I could possibly save each month.

Housing is not included in the contract, and it's a public school job. Also, what are the chances of finding part-time employment on the weekends/ holidays?

I'm trying to compare it with how much I would possibly be able to save teaching in Korea for my first year. Any tips would really be appreciated.
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two jobs are comparable for what you are going to save. So, beyond that its a matter of preference.

You will spend about 3-4k on rent in Guangzhou. But, you will have a lower cost of living.

Korea comes with a rent free apartment and a similar salary. But, in Korea things are more expensive.

Personally I would choose China, having taught in both countries. There is a lot of opportunity here (in China) if you are an ambitious person. Koreans will never, ever, allow a waegukin to succeed. It offends their national honour or something. They make things as difficult for you as they can. Korea is not what it's cracked up to be by those recruiters on your uni campus. But, the Chinese seem totally cool with the idea of you succeeding and marrying a local.
hdeth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours would you be working in guangzhou?
What are your qualifications/experience?
EDIT: what kind of job is it?

Last edited by hdeth on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apartment there for that salary? Seems a rip off. I know someone working down that area not getting an apartment and says it costs a bit more than thought. FInd ads that give either a free apartment or an allowance.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=38720

3. Primary school ESL position in Zengchen, Guangzhou, to teach 20 hours (40 mins hourly, no office hours) weekly for: salary 10000-12000 RMB, free independent apartment, 10800RMB airfare reimbursement, free meals, work visa sponsored and guaranteed, paid Chinese public holidays, accidental and medical insurance. Class size of about 35, curriculum ready-made. Starting Feb.15, 2016 to January 30, 2017.

I've seen some others closer to this. You have to negotiate and make a counter offer. No apartment, ask for 15,000 for that place. If it were Beijing of Shanghai, ask for 17,000 if beginner and maybe 20,000 rmb or 21,000 if experienced. Apartment included, 11,000 to 13,000 salary is prob ok.
weigookin74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another friend of mine in a smaller city in China doing the public school gig was offered 9,000 rmb a year ago with free apartment. He asked for 11,000 and they gave him 12,000. He told me they could afford to up to 15,000 or 16,000 rmb. (Of course many want to live in big cities and not smaller cities.)

My point is if all of you counter offer what is offered to you, it will push up wages and benefits for everyone. In China, unlike in SK, you have to negotiate more and get them to up the slary and offer. China is desperate for teachers. It has a large population, much larger than other surrounding countries and will need many teachers for a long time before demand is met, even if the population there tops off. Even the other nearby countries are seeing a modest economic recovery and hiring teachers again. This all means that you have the power as a foreign teacher, more than you realize. Always make a counter offer. You're a fool if you don't!!!
ruwen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for tips/insights guys.

This is my first contract as a teacher, I just have some part-time experience, Bachelor's degree and TEFL certification. (Native English speaking country, only language I speak is English, however I'm brown skinned, so most recruiters have told me this is why it's harder), just being honest!

The contract in china is actually not directly with a school, so I'm not sure which school I'm going to be based in yet. But they've guaranteed that if I don't like the school, they will move me into another school in the area that I like.

The working hours are from 8-4
Merging Traffic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there~
I've worked an EPIK job, two years in central Korea. And I'm also currently living in Guangzhou, two years here now as well.

I can tell you that both have great attributes.

My one red flag warning to point out is that you're not going to be employed by the school in GZ. That's sketchy. I'd look into that long and hard.

On the other hand, an EPIK job, while you'll have no say in where you live (in a country about the size of NJ, so really, whatever~), you'll have a solid employer who won't skip on your paychecks, in my experience. And you'll be tied to a known curriculum. That's a value.

I'd be inclined towards Korea if I were you based on the red-flag. Hey, I like my job in Guangzhou, but I made sure it was with a solid company in the process of getting it too.

Food for thought~ Also, living in Korea is really fun!

(And yes, being brown will surprise the locals, but the vast majority are a curious kind of aghast, not the spiteful kind of aghast you might find in other parts of the world. I'm not actually brown, but had a fair share of friends who were and can relate their experiences in reflection.)

Enjoy the adventure!
hdeth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13k with no housing for working full time...I'd say that's really on the low end for anywhere in China. If housing was provided it would still be a bit on the low end for that kind of job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: