Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTC Muscat - salary package?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monorail Cat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: MTC Muscat - salary package? Reply with quote

I see the other thread on this employer got locked ... hey ho.

Anyway, has anybody got any info on the salary package being offered? Inbound flight paid? Accommodation provided upon arrival but then employees have to find their own apartment?

I see from a recent job ad they placed elsewhere that the working hours have reduced to 0700 - 1400 and finish at 1200 on Thursdays.

Any info much appreciated. PM if you prefer.

Cool
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTC Salary Package....around OMR700/Month or US 1,700 a month....note Musk Rat is very expensive...especially accomodation. You will be lucky to save at least half your salary monthly!!!!
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

700 OMR without accommodation or accommodation allowance would be a pitifully low sum to live and work in Muscat...rent alone would eat up say 40% of that........ Shocked
Monorail Cat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, EFL Ed. My recent interview experience with them confirms you're pretty accurate with that figure.

I didn't realise just how low salary packages have sunk in the country during the past 3 years. I can't see things improving any time soon either, especially as OM is expected to experience a budget deficit in 2016. Couple that with continued Omanization and salaries are sure to be squeezed even more for EFLers.

I guess my plan to return to the country to work will have to go on the back burner for the time being. Sad
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
MTC Salary Package....around OMR700/Month or US 1,700 a month....note Musk Rat is very expensive...especially accomodation. You will be lucky to save at least half your salary monthly!!!!

That has to be base salary. Surely all the allowances and add-ons brings the total monthly package to over a 1000 OR?
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2013 the MTC were offering this:
"Benefits include a monthly salary of 1,900 OMR together with housing and car allowances. Candidates will receive additionally one month's basic salary as a gratuity each year (this excludes the housing and travel allowance). Air travel to and from home base for candidates, spouse and children of school age (up to 18 ). School fees will have a contribution of 1500 Omani Rials (OMR) per child to a maximum of two children given."
https://www.facebook.com/notes/tesoltefl-courses/teaching-english-in-oman/583370081703901/
StampLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: the truth from a current teacher. Reply with quote

1900, 2 flights a year, 1200 bonus/ year, 1500 for kids education.

free housing for 30 days.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: the truth from a current teacher. Reply with quote

StampLover wrote:
1900, 2 flights a year, 1200 bonus/ year, 1500 for kids education.

free housing for 30 days.

So, you don't get housing or an allowance in addition to the 1900?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On OMR 700 basic monthly salary at MTC you will be competing with Sub Continentals from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka as EFL teachers nowadays....O Man has it all....and Musk Rat is becoming more expensive to live in and work by the day.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but EFL Educator, there are now two versions of the salary for MTC. So which one is correct? Or are there two MTCs in Muscat? One is supposed to employ only the true gems of the profession and hence pays so well.
Is there a lowly version of the MTC too?
Clarify please.

balqis
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"....supposed to employ the true gems of the profession"

indeed
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the 700 is for the non-native passport holders and 1900 is given to the natives......they're probably looking to hire more non-native 'gems' for obvious financial reasons!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

I was told by a friend currently teaching for them ful time that OMR 700 is the standard salary offer for native English speakers...they will give you a housing allowance of OMR 150 so the total package is OMR 850. Of course you will get a transport allowance benefit of OMR 50 + medical insurance. Again Musk Rat i a very expensive city to live in these days...comparable to Dubai in living costs. Enjoy Oh Man! Shocked Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention you will get a OMR 50 Utility/Electricity allowance as well. If you want to make more money in Oh Man it's best to work in the sticks...such as in Ibri where you can save more money as there is nothing much to do there.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a two tier system operating? I know several Omani teachers who are waiting to be placed in MTC but have been promised salaries of a least 1900 rials per month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: