Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe to teach in China smog as ESL or TEFL teacher?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Skies

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Is it safe to teach in China smog as ESL or TEFL teacher? Reply with quote

I briefly thought about teaching in China as an ESL or TEFL teacher until I saw two things; (1) All the legal hoops I have to jump through and then (2) the photos of the fricking air pollution - so bad that people have to wear masks to breathe in the winter time. They just cancelled school for kids because the air is toxic! http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/china-shuts-down-businesses-and-schools-due-to-smog/

I would not risk my health even for $10,000 a month. Besides, Singapore is much cleaner and pays double what China offers.
max71081

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to teach in China smog as ESL or TEFL teacher Reply with quote

Blue Skies wrote:
I would not risk my health even for $10,000 a month. Besides, Singapore is much cleaner and pays double what China offers.

so, dont go to china and teach in Singapore...its not that complicated...
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony in your name and your topic. In regards to teaching in China, it depends on what you are seeking. If you're looking for clean air, adventure and outgoing people and lots of culture, you'd definitely smart for avoiding the greyness of this place all around. Besides, who can compare China to Singapore!

Cheers,
Aaron
Dan123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more to China than Beijing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is it safe to teach in China smog as ESL or TEFL teacher?"

No, the pollution does not discriminate; it's no safer for teachers of math, science, art, business, music, etc. Rolling Eyes
Blue Skies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this Economist article which says that working in Beijing is like smoking 40 cigarettes a day - just by breathing the fricking air! http://www.economist.com/news/china/21661053-new-study-suggests-air-pollution-even-worse-thought-mapping-invisible-scourge
Lack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the wording, when I read this article I immediately pictured a teacher teaching some kids outside in the smog.

Anyway, we have a lot to worry about OP. The smog goes after EFL teachers more than other kinds of teachers. I think it's racist.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore has had its share of air quality problems, too. China seems to be in a league of its own, though. You would probably live to at least 40, so you could double your booze intake and not feel guilty. Chronic cough? No one will suspect you're on the pipe every morning.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! Do not teach English outside, in the polluted air!

Very Happy

Like Max said, go teach in Singapore. Oh, and good luck with that.

u troll
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to teach in China smog as ESL or TEFL teacher Reply with quote

Blue Skies wrote:
I briefly thought about teaching in China as an ESL or TEFL teacher until I saw two things; (1) All the legal hoops I have to jump through...

Blue Skies wrote:
...They also claimed I was "qualified for 4 other positions" even though I have no university degree....

You're lucky Singapore doesn't have those strict requirements such as having a degree. Quite the legal hoop.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some legal hoops getting into the US as well. It's called borders control but not so onerous if you come from Pakistan via Saudi.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesD wrote:
Quote:
You're lucky Singapore doesn't have those strict requirements such as having a degree. Quite the legal hoop.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ironic a user named "Blue Skies" is clogging up our Internet space with trolling scrolls of fog and smog! ::::cough, cough, cough::::

GASP! ... I can't breathe! Crying or Very sad ::::starts searching for Internet mask::::

--GA
3701 W.119th

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand the motivation behind this. I've seen the same sentiment, coming from (almost certainly) the same person (or few people) during my short time on this board.

What is the point? What do they gain from this?

Is it to put people off making the move to China to teach for the first time? If so, why? What is the point? What does OP gain?

I really don't get it. I don't understand.

If it's actually addressed to those of us already here, living and working - again I ask, what is the point?

Personally, I'm quite aware of the situation in China. In work, and life in general. You know, because, I've actually chosen to live and work here. Nobody held a gun to my head. I'm enjoying my life here. If that changes, I'll move on. I'd wager that's also probably true for the majority of regular posters here.

OP - You are ignorant. Please stop preaching your ill-informed, tinfoil hat nonsense.

Thank you.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is obviously bored.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, aren't EFL teachers specially equipped by nature with smog-reduction noses? I always thought we were.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: