Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice for an overwhelmed first timer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottburs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice for an overwhelmed first timer? Reply with quote

Greetings.

My name is Scott and I'm interested in teaching abroad in Asia. I'm 33 years old and a graduate of the University of Southern California with a bachelor of arts in Theatre and Political Science. I don't have much teaching experience, but I am expert in public speaking, working in the past as a speech coach and as an actor, mostly in theater and in a few commercials. Currently I've been working in sales the last few years at Zillow, so I was hoping to find some solid advice because I know there's a lot out there. I'm looking primarily for somewhere in South China, preferably Hong Kong but am oopen to other suggestions. Being a Southern California, I don't do well with the cold so I'm staying away from places that snow. I do want to save up some more cash and travel. Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks a lot.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice for an overwhelmed first timer? Reply with quote

scottburs wrote:
Greetings.

My name is Scott and I'm interested in teaching abroad in Asia. I'm 33 years old and a graduate of the University of Southern California with a bachelor of arts in Theatre and Political Science. I don't have much teaching experience, but I am expert in public speaking, working in the past as a speech coach and as an actor, mostly in theater and in a few commercials. Currently I've been working in sales the last few years at Zillow, so I was hoping to find some solid advice because I know there's a lot out there. I'm looking primarily for somewhere in South China, preferably Hong Kong but am open to other suggestions. Being a Southern California, I don't do well with the cold so I'm staying away from places that snow. I do want to save up some more cash and travel. Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks a lot.

If you are short of cash then your options are much more limited.
Korea is still the only place that provides airfare and housing for newbie EFL teachers. You'll have to live with a couple months of snow. You'll still need a couple thousand dollars to deal with the paperwork (authenticated documents and visa application) as well as living expenses (food, etc) for your first month on the ground. Go register on the Korean forum for more information; we can't discuss Korea on this one.

If you want warm places in SE Asia then you will need to bear the costs of airfare and setting yourself up. China is the next, best bet. (Hong Kong is pretty much a dream that isn't going to happen with your current credentials). Mainland China (Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai and the rest of the Pearl river delta) however is very possible.

With China, housing is usually included as is an airfare allowance at the end of the contract. You'll probably need $3-4k to make that jump although others have made it with less.

For the tropical countries you can pretty much count on flying in, looking for work then doing a visa run to an adjacent country to get your paperwork done. All of the setup costs are yours to bear (airfare, housing, visas, border runs, etc) and typically, nothing is provided. $3-5k of available cash is what you will need to go this route.

In all cases you will need your original degree plus some sealed university issued transcripts. You may, depending on the country you are going to, need to have them authenticated (notarized / apostilled or both) as well.

FBI checks with "no record found" are also pretty much a requirement for US applicants as well.

scottburs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked up a bunch of schools or programs, but most of them seem to have negative reviews online and are deemed untrustworthy. What's your best bet in finding a solid school to teach at?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottburs wrote:
I'm 33 years old and a graduate of the University of Southern California with a bachelor of arts in Theatre and Political Science. I don't have much teaching experience, but I am expert in public speaking, working in the past as a speech coach and as an actor, mostly in theater and in a few commercials

I've looked up a bunch of schools or programs, but most of them seem to have negative reviews online and are deemed untrustworthy. What's your best bet in finding a solid school to teach at?

Scott, consider posting on the region/country-specific forums; you'll hear from more posters working in your target areas.

By the way, be aware there are good-paying drama and theatre arts teaching opportunities overseas (do an Internet search on 'teacher drama theatre arts china' or whatever country). That's another option for you if you're willing to commit to a couple of years getting certified in California as a secondary school drama teacher as well as gaining experience before looking abroad. Also do a search for public speaking coach jobs overseas.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottburs wrote:

Don't confuse language academies (after school, for profit companies teaching languages) with schools (K-12) that are focused on education.
The former usually have crap reputations. The latter less so.
Until you have enough cash or experience to make the jump on your own you may have to bite the bullet and do your time in a language center to get the cash and experience to network into something better.

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just to add to Nomad's suggestion.
I know of a few teachers around your age (30s are the new 20s yay) teaching drama. Two of them for the same international school (primary) as me (I teach Science). A teaching licence from your home country is required for the IB/PYP departments of the school but not for the international and local departments (Subject related BA/BSc, with minimum 2 years relevant experience is the pre-requisite. Some school's do require a min 120hr TESOL cert in addition). Provincial work permit requirements vary.
So, with your BA in Theatre and acting experience you might be a great fit. The wages for such a gig are generally good and the teaching hours are low and you may find it much more interesting than teaching English.
I did in fact get my job through a Chinese education company (basically a recruiter) and it worked out pretty good. But thread lightly and do your research!
The school (or recruiter) should cover all visa associated costs, your medical, etc. (you should not have to fork out for any such costs here)
The good schools generally provide airfare allowance (at end of contract), housing allowance and medical cover. Most also provide full pay for the summer, if you renew your contract Smile
It could be a perfect introduction to teaching in Asia for you!
(Post a query on the China forum, if you are interested, and good luck)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: