Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living costs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misssapphire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Living costs Reply with quote

Hi all

Is a salary of 31,755,000 VND gross per month enough for an average lifestyle in HCMC? I'm not a big party person or drinker but do want to be able go out a bit, save a bit and travel a bit.

Any rough ideas of costs would be great.

I've tried to find some info on here but to no avail.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be adequate for a single person (i.e. no dependents) doing what you described. The issue of money gets discussed on this forum pretty regularly. I suggest trying again by doing a search for "money", "savings" in key words for the Vietnam forum and, I promise, you will have more hits than you can shake a stick at.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Welsh, it looks adequate to me. Maybe a little on the low side though.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely on the low side for working in HCMC... How many hours are they asking you to work for that?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, it's on the low side for HCMC and Hanoi, but, the original question was whether it was adequate for the circumstances described, and it is. As to whether it's a decent deal will depend largely on the hours. An entry-level teacher (with degree and respectable TEFL certificate) should be looking at $17-$20 US per teaching hour with little in the way of 'desk-warming'. Anyone can do the math from there. If it is for a salaried, full-time position (i.e. around forty hour week on site with twenty or so hours teaching) in Saigon or Hanoi then, in terms of pay, it is very inferior to the better entry-level TEFL jobs out there in the two major cities.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Yes it's full time with 73 teaching hours a month.

No housing (apart from 10 nights on arrival) or flights over but visa is covered.

So I should think again?

What companies pay more?

Thanks everyone
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
Yes it's full time with 73 teaching hours a month.

No housing (apart from 10 nights on arrival) or flights over but visa is covered.

So I should think again?

What companies pay more?

Thanks everyone

In regards to whether you should rethink the offer, it sounds like it, but, there are a few things to consider:

1.Do you have a degree and observed TEFL certificate (e.g. a CELTA)?

2. Do you have any TEFL experience?

3. Are you getting offered some extra desirable perks? For example, long holidays. medical insurance......?

Assuming it's in HCMC (as indicated by your original post) and the answers to 1. and 2. are "yes" and 3. is "no" then I definitely wouldn't take it, especially as it's full-time. In regards to who pays better - pretty much all the well-known schools: RMIT, British Council, ACET, ILA, Language Link, Apollo,.........

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
misssapphire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

in HCMC.

I have CELTA and 2 years experience (France, UK, Australia - all ages and levels). Basic medical is included.

Argh decisions decisions....
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just edited my post as I noticed you mentioned HCMC originally, but you beat me to it by posting again. Please read my above post again and my advice is that you should be able to do better elsewhere, without having to work those hours, and that you should apply for jobs when you arrive in VN. Good luck!
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Living costs Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
Hi all

Is a salary of 31,755,000 VND gross per month enough for an average lifestyle in HCMC? I'm not a big party person or drinker but do want to be able go out a bit, save a bit and travel a bit.

Any rough ideas of costs would be great.

I've tried to find some info on here but to no avail.

Perhaps you missed the thread 5 threads beneath your own.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113389

What's tax these days?

You'll get the "if you're frugal and live in a dirty one-roomed apartment with white tile for flooring ..." routine, but me thinks that's a little low.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
[ In regards to who pays better - pretty much all the well-known schools: RMIT, British Council, ACET, ILA, Language Link, Apollo,.........

It's with ILA Rolling Eyes
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
[ In regards to who pays better - pretty much all the well-known schools: RMIT, British Council, ACET, ILA, Language Link, Apollo,.........

It's with ILA Rolling Eyes

Hmmm.... I can live without the rolling eyes emoticon, thank you. This is especially considering that I have gone out of my way to give you the help that you asked for, even though it appears that you have done very little to help yourself in conducting any basic research.

I queried before whether it was for "a salaried, full-time position (i.e.around forty hours a week on site with twenty or so hours teaching)?" You indicated, yes, but it was only for 73 teaching hours a month. So, do you have to be at the school for about 40 hours a week or not? If so, it's a bad deal and I'm surprised that ILA appear to have lowered their contracts to that degree. If, as I suspect, not, and you just have to be at school to do your prep, teaching and a little bit of admin every now and then, (like most language school teachers in VN), then that's a very different matter. In that case, it works out to be aproximately 20 USD per teaching hour, which, as I have already stated, is fine for a standard gig.

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
misssapphire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, the rolling eyes were at ILA who are supposed to be one of the better schools you said. A little harsh - I have been researching a lot and appreciate the help, it's all a little overwhelming - different opinions and advice.

I can't find the answer to whether I have to be in school 40 hours per week or not even after reading the contract. Hopefully just as you said - teaching, prep and a bit of admin - I have emailed the school for an answer regarding this.

I am grateful for all advice.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, the rolling eyes were at ILA who are supposed to be one of the better schools you said. A little harsh - I have been researching a lot and appreciate the help, it's all a little overwhelming - different opinions and advice.

I can't find the answer to whether I have to be in school 40 hours per week or not even after reading the contract. Hopefully just as you said - teaching, prep and a bit of admin - I have emailed the school for an answer regarding this.

I am grateful for all advice.

OK. However, please understand, from my POV, as you quoted me, it looked very much like your post was directed at me. I think that's understandable and most forum users would, I think, say pretty much the same thing. In regards to being "harsh" about your research, I hope I haven't been but, lets be honest, like kurtz and I said, there are plenty of posts here discussing the financial aspects of teaching in Vietnam and they are very easy to find. Anyway, thanks for the apology, we will just chalk it up to a misunderstanding and move on Cool.

I wouldn't personally regard ILA as one of "the better schools", but, like I said, they are "well known" and they have plenty of branches. While I haven't taught there myself, I know many people who have and they seemed to have thought they were OK (kept their promises, cheques didn't bounce, good support etc). They are probably not a bad option for your first contract in Vietnam and will no doubt provide a pretty soft landing. In regards to the hours, I doubt you will have to be on site for 40 hours a week, because that would mean being on quite a bit less than ten bucks an hour, but, by all means, get the confirmation from them. Good luck to you!
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 hours a week will be the contracted hours, but in reality, you'll probably be doing 20-24 hours teaching a week most of the year, and some people even do up to 30 hours a week during summer school. The pay will go up pro-rata obviously, but they have a weird bank of hours system, so you might not necessarily get overtime pay in the month you do it. They operate a bank of hours system where you don't start getting overtime in your paycheck until the cumulative hours worked is +40 hours. Then at the end of the contract, your balance is paid in one lump sum.

Presumably a nice little earner for them with the interest, but I think it was done to stop people leaving them with a massive tax bill, which can happen in Vietnam, if you leave before halfway through the year.

So yeah, it says 73 hours, but assume you'll be getting more hours and money than that most of the year.

Oh and another little trick is that you holiday pay is worked out according to the 73 hours too, not the hours you actually work.

They're a decent enough company. Gone a bit downhill recently with the massive expansion and a lack of qualified people to run the new centres, meaning that managers are now hugely overstretched. But they'll pay you on time, have good resources and give you a lot of freedom about your teaching.

Oh, and you have to go to workshops for two hours a month in your first year and one hour after that, which you're not paid for.

As for costs, 4-6m for a room in a shared house/flat. Probably another 2m for all your bills. A million or so for a motorbike (but buy if you can). After that, it's just your food and drink, which can be as cheap or expensive as you want. If you eat locally, you're probably looking at 100-200k a day, eating out, delivery or takeaway for every meal. This will give you an idea of Western food prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: