Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Permit - Do you need a degree in a related field?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradwelljackson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Work Permit - Do you need a degree in a related field? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, first of all my presumption is that you will need a work permit in order to teach English in Egypt, and I may not even be correct about that; however, presuming that I am, allow me to ask if one must have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, or can you have one from non-related fields such as Business, Psychology or Chemistry.
Thank you all in advance for your answers.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have a related degree plus a TEFL certificate to get a work permit....pay for EFL teachers is around US 1,000/Month average. Benefits include the opportunity to learn Arabic and shared accomodation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Work Permit - Do you need a degree in a related field? Reply with quote

bradwelljackson wrote:
Allow me to ask if one must have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, or can you have one from non-related fields such as Business, Psychology or Chemistry.

You must have missed this related thread:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=111769
bradwelljackson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nomad,

Thank you for this response. I did read through this post, and I guess that there are some British terms I'm not familiar with. I don't know what she means by "4 yr BA Hons", unless that just means that she graduated with honors. I suppose that I may also deduce through context that she may be saying that she doesn't have a related degree, since one of the replies said "A Bachelor's degree and two years of experience are sufficient for a work permit." I am presuming that that poster means any bachelor's degree.
Then again, another reply to my post stated that "You need to have a related degree plus a TEFL certificate to get a work permit".
So, it seems to me that some further clarification on this point might be in order.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradwelljackson wrote:
Then again, another reply to my post stated that "You need to have a related degree plus a TEFL certificate to get a work permit".
So, it seems to me that some further clarification on this point might be in order.

The poster on that other thread who stated that a "BA and two years of experience are sufficient for a work permit," actually worked in Egypt.

Since this forum is rather quiet, ask your questions on more general Egypt forums, which attract a wider expat audience. Do a Net search on Egypt expat forum. Otherwise, contact AMIDEAST in Egypt, the British Council, and NileTESOL; they'd have a definitive answer for you.
bradwelljackson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The poster on that other thread who stated that a "BA and two years of experience are sufficient for a work permit," actually worked in Egypt.

Correction: works. Very Happy

While it still holds true that a Bachelor's degree and two years of work experience meet the government's requirement for a work permit, they're only issuing work permits for two months at a time at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: