Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VENTURER - WHAT'S TESOL LIKE IN YOUR 'ADOPTED' COUNTRY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: My (innocent?) thoughts Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
I never once encountered or even felt any government person/agency concerns. Go Figure.
-
So I thought that my earning a few bucks with local PART Time private tutoring and/or internet tutoring work would not even make a blimp on the radar screen.
-
As to leaving and returning to Mexico every six months, it was not a big deal for me but I think later in my stay in Mexico I found a way to have my tourist visa extended for a few bucks (No biggie). So I was thinking the same with Columbia, cross over to the next country for 24 hours and return or find 'a way' to extend the tourist visa.
-
Maybe Today things are different but I though I can start with a tourist visa and see what pans out for me.

Things are different. There was a major immigration reform and immigration officers now make visits to schools from time to time. But MOSTLY, I would say you are likely to be okay, the only thing is, you set yourself up to pay big fines if not okay. The biggest risk would be some jealous competitor actually reporting you to immigration. If the dollar falls to 20, your pesion might be high enough for the retirement visa. I don't keep abreast on the requirements for that since it's just not something I need to know. (But it's on the IMN website, and you've already shown you know Spanish.

OldandNew wrote:

I already have multiple TESOL specific/target certificates. In two years I will have a Master's degree in TESOL to hang on my wall and to add to my education arsenal as well as to 'My" advertising. 3 years after that a Doctoral in ESL. (I think) mighty impressive from both an educational background, impressing and winning new business with those impressive credentials and then keeping my customers with great tutoring (Yea I'm real good at that too.)
-
Comments?

I don't really know anyone in Mexico who would care about a doctorate in ESL. You won't get research professor positions anyway, and the non-research positions don't require it.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I think you posted in the Mexico forum as well so this may be a repeat. The peso is very weak at the moment, so you're pension is enough to live on, but it's not enough to get you a retirement visa in Mexico. .

How sure are you that he can't qualify now, Mother? As you say, the dollar buys a lot of pesos today, and a little over a year ago, the required monthly amount was reduced by 25%. Is it possible the OP could manage to squeak by if he applied soon, while the dollar is so strong? According to the MexConnect site, the amount required to qualify for Residente Temporal is currently only $1,250 per month.

Quote:
or
Using Method of Monthly Deposits of Income or Pension Receipts: (Resident Temporal)
~ Have minimum pension or salary deposits/income that is the equivalent of Monthly income of 300 days minimum wage of the current minimum wage in the Federal District (73.04 pesos per day for 2016) $21,912 pesos or about $1,250 US a month in deposits, per the 10/10/2014 Lineamientos for Mexican Consulates (reduced from the previous “four hundred days worth” listed in the previous INM Lineamientos) , reported for each of the previous six months – with original and copies of original bank statement for one Residente Temporal.

http://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/new-rules-and-procedures-for-immigration-visiting-and-staying-in-mexico/#Various%20Types%20of%20Proof%20of%20Financial%20Independence%20for%20Temporary%20Residency

Some of the consulate websites report higher figures in varying amounts, but I suspect these were calculated when the peso hovered at 13, and the figures have not been updated. But obviously, Andrew would need to verify the amount.

ETA: Oops, sorry! The website I quoted is not MexConnect; it's Yucalandia.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I don't keep up on the amount as it doesn't affect me.
I do know that in the immigration reform the amount was raised considerably and many retirees were left out of eligibility, even though one can easily live on less than 20,000 pesos a month in most parts of Mexico. I have not heard anything about the amount ever having been reduce--but maybe enough retirees complained that it was.

Last edited by MotherF on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: MEXICAN VISA Reply with quote

I pulled this off of a privately run Mexico Discussion Board, "Mexican Temporary and Permanent Resident Work Permit" (Web address below) dated after the 2012/13 (?) visa law changes
-
"Holders of a temporary resident visa may be allowed to work in Mexico but they require a work permit. . . .If you do not have a visa currently and do not qualify for any of the residency visas then your prospective employer will have to make the application."
-
I do not qualify for temporary residency (min. $2,000 UDS monthly income) but it does say I can be sponsored (by an employer . . so, I can cut a deal with a languages school and I can legally expose myself within the business world.
-
I do have one current contact in Mexico, a TESOL school called, 'ITTO' a brick and mortar business located in GDL. I already took the 140 hr. TESOL certificate with ITTO, They have told me that with my high scoring TESOL grade certificate, my planning on taking their 1 week/10 TEFL class* on-site teacher training course (observe /teach /be reviewed) for $1,000 USD, my current enrollment in a master' in TESOL and my level of speaking (for now,a rusty) conversational Spanish they will employ me when I finish their class.
-
Well, that's 1 iron in the fire (better than a kick in the head)
-
*they claim they have access to several language school with 100's of students, which having lived in Guadalajara,visiting their website and corresponding with them via e-maii and phone, seems very reasonable to me
-
I will also post this on other Mexico discussion boards.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Sorry for double Post Reply with quote

Sorry for double Post
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Like I said, I don't keep up on the amount as it doesn't affect me.
I do know that in the immigration reform the amount was raised considerably and many retirees were left out of eligibility, even though one can easily live on less than 20,000 pesos a month in most parts of Mexico. I have not hear anything about the amount ever having been reduce--but maybe enough retirees complained that it was.

Yes, I think that is correct. The new immigration law came into effect in November of 2012, and, among other changes, substantially raised the amounts required to qualify for resident permits for retirees, as you said. Then along toward the end of 2014, the monthly amount required was reduced from 400 times the DF minimum daily wage to 300 times the DF minimum daily wage. And after that, of course, the minimum wage was raised, so that counter-acted some of the reduction--making it pretty hard to keep track!

But if you don't think he's going to qualify for a work permit, then it would be worth his while to confirm the exact amount of pension income currently needed for the RT.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do not qualify for temporary residency (min. $2,000 UDS monthly income)

Yes, but that figure is outdated. The amount you are quoting is from the last part of 2012 and 2013. It hovered around $1,950 for quite a while, well into 2014. However, the amount required is calculated in pesos, and each dollar is now worth more pesos, so the number of dollars required to qualify is less right now. Also, the amount requird was reduced in late 2014, as I mentioned earlier.

The upshot is that you need CURRENT information. You need to check the date of anything you read on a discussion board--there is lots of outdated info floating around--and verify with an official source. If you check the Yucalandia link, they updated at the beginning of 2016, so those figures will be current. (Until the dollar moves up or down.)
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Starting A New Business Reply with quote

knowledge / thoughts on a gringo (me) starting a registered tutoring English business in Mexico 1) with a Mexican partner and 2) by myself.
-
Would I then have working status in Mexico?
-
THANKS
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting A New Business Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
knowledge / thoughts on a gringo (me) starting a registered tutoring English business in Mexico 1) with a Mexican partner and 2) by myself.
-
Would I then have working status in Mexico?
-
THANKS

This is a little more complicated but yes it can be done. The trick here is that you'll need to do one of two things. A) get a work visa through other means (employer, marriage, etc) and register with SAT as a persona fisica so that you establish a fiscal presence here, then form a sociedad civil with the partner for your tutoring business (partner does not need to be Mexican btw) or B) let someone else start the tutoring business and use it to sponsor you for the work visa. You would not be a partner in this case, unless you alter the constitution of the business later.

I recently formed a sociedad civil with my American business partner. Both of us already had the appropriate visas to do it, but the business now sponsors both of us, from an immigration point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a police report to get a visa for Mexico?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. You're name is certainly checked internally at immigration, but no separate report needed.

Many schools will ask for the police report separately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OldandNew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: My (innocent?) thoughts Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I don't really know anyone in Mexico who would care about a doctorate in ESL.

My reasoning for a Doctoral was to show my educational depth when advertising or seeking out new business in the either private instructor/tutor for preparing college bound students for the TEOFL Test or corporations and/or professionals for business English. I think these type people would gravitate towards an instructor / tutor with a MA-TESOL & Ed.D - ESL degrees. (both theories are much the same, just different names) I would choose someone with these credentials over someone that does NOT have them. Of course then you have to prove your worth . . but getting in the door, I'll take the degrees
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havings spent a large portion of my life working with and living with people in the process of getting a PhD, don't do it for the credential--do it, because you are passionate about it. It takes drive to finish a PhD. And frankly in Mexico a PhD in education is not something people look at and go "oooh" and the positions that people with EdD's in the US usually hold (school admins, etc) are simply political appointees in Mexico who generally haven't the slightly idea about best educational practices. So what I'm saying is I don't think it's really going to open any doors. Especially business English, they seem more likely to choose someone with an MBA over someone with a degree in Education.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Havings spent a large portion of my life working with and living with people in the process of getting a PhD, don't do it for the credential--do it, because you are passionate about it. It takes drive to finish a PhD. And frankly in Mexico a PhD in education is not something people look at and go "oooh" and the positions that people with EdD's in the US usually hold (school admins, etc) are simply political appointees in Mexico who generally haven't the slightly idea about best educational practices. So what I'm saying is I don't think it's really going to open any doors. Especially business English, they seem more likely to choose someone with an MBA over someone with a degree in Education.

Ditto Mom's advice. As a newbie teacher, a doctorate will get you nothing that an MA won't. I see that you were given this same advice on the general forum. Most doctorates are research degrees, and will do absolutely nothing to help you begin a teaching career in Mexico. You seem to think it will make you stand out, and help you attract students. I think you will find that developing solid teaching skills, and word of mouth recommendations from students will take you much further.

As Mom says, if you want to do it for the sake of your own interest and enjoyment, then go for it. But if, as you seem to indicate, you're doing it because you think it will impress people, and attract students, then you misjudge Mexico. Get that observed teaching practice under your belt, and at least a few weeks of genuine experience before you start dreaming about a framed doctoral degree on your wall.

An MA, sure, go for it; there is value to holding an MA. But there are precious few positions in Mexico that require a doctorate, and the harsh reality of being a newbie at 63 is that you will not be hired for any of them. Use that time and energy to gain some solid experience--it will take you much further.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but getting in the door, I'll take the degrees

Most Mexicans will take their brother-in-law's employer's cousin's wife's recommendation first. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: