Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time did you spend learning Polish...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree wholeheartedly with dragonpiwo's answers.

I have never bothered to learn it and I am honest with people right from the start. Like our friend, I am okay in shops. In all fairness I have never been held back because I don't speak it. with most of the official things I needed to do, there is always someone who speaks English and have been happy to do so as it helps them to practise from it. In fact I have been out with the said people a few times.

Also, my lack of speaking Polish comes in handy sometimes. I am generally left alone in pubs, where English may not be spoken, and I just want to be left alone. It has also come in handy in places like the post office and tax office, where I never had to queue or wait but got special treatment (not that I ever asked for it) simply because the employee spoke English.

To me, it's a bas***d of a language to learn with their millions of zeds in every word, and how a language can have a dozen or so different ways of saying the number two, or somebody's name, is beyond me.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: tbh Reply with quote

TBH I'm just lazy and not interested in studying.
jenkinsd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of blinkered ignorance from one or two on this board is quite staggering.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Who would they be then?
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Jenkins gets it. If you live in Poland you have to knock it sometimes.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depechemodefan1966 wrote:
Also, my lack of speaking Polish comes in handy sometimes. I am generally left alone in pubs, where English may not be spoken, and I just want to be left alone. It has also come in handy in places like the post office and tax office, where I never had to queue or wait but got special treatment (not that I ever asked for it) simply because the employee spoke English.
No matter how much Polish you speak, you can always play the "I don't speak Polish" card. I used to play that card all the time when the ticket controller came a calling. Often, just saying "What?" was enough to send them on their way. Too bad most of those goons speak English these days and are not so easily dissuaded.

If you live in Poland long-term and don't learn at least some Polish, that's totally your choice, but realize that you're not doing yourself any favors. Polish opens a lot of doors, not just professionally, but socially, culturally, etc.. It also makes your quality of life much better in Poland.

Otherwise, you end up feeling like a helpless orphan. And the longer you live in Poland the worse it gets. "You've been here umpteen years now and you still can't go to the doctor's office by yourself?" I used to dread going to smaller shops where I had to gesture and point like a mime to get my half-loaf of bread cut up. By the time those grannies behind the counter taught me the words to order in Polish, I was their favorite customer. I used to get a 10 groszy discount on my paczki!
dynow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you. Generally, the old grannies in the small shops used to roll their eyes the minute they caught my accent. If I missed a word, that usually caused quiet a bit of tension. I always thought that was odd because most poles welcome a foreigner attempting their ludicrous language....the grannies behind the counter though.....Shocked

Shake is right regarding the cultural aspect. Once you can roll in their language, you simply learn more about them. There are a lot of intangibles that go along with someone speaking their native tongue.

I think as long as Poland remains 98% Polish, the quirkiness of the language isn't going anywhere.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep saying it, but for me, the beauty of the language is that it opens up so many doors. I'm involved with one project now where virtually every single important person doesn't speak English - including some of the financial backers. If I had to get everything translated, it would be nearly impossible to do because it would take absolutely forever to organise.

But if you learn the language well enough, it's possible to stroll into a cafe in the Bosnian countryside and have a perfectly good conversation with the owner about just why you've rocked up to his cafe in the middle of nowhere. For me, it's quite incredible.
jenkinsd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. This "all the people worth knowing speak English" attitude says a lot about that particular person.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

No-one used the expression 'worth knowing' but you. Everyone I know went to uni and as a consequence, they all speak English very well. Even the beggars hassle you in several languages in Poznan.
What would I know? Only been there since 95, have a Polish wife and son and house there.
jenkinsd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh congratulations, you beat me by a year. Otherwise, I'm matching you in terms of what you would call "cred" - Polish wife, kid, house. I mean, I couldn't have you thinking that I'm unqualified to comment.

Saw your arrogant comment insinuating that those who bothered learning Polish continue to earn low rates. Well, in my case, my fluent Polish helped me to secure my first job in publishing sales, covering Central/Eastern Europe. I now have the entire EMEA region, and although I don't need to brag about how much I earn (unlike some), I can hazard a guess that I'm just slightly beating you on that score (seeing as this is a competition).
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

You're amazing. You must sell a lot of Headway to make $110k after tax and get free digs, private health care and all your food thrown in, not to mention a bonus. Hang on a min, I'm just off to 1 of our 3 gyms and 3 pools downstairs.

Where are you based? Poland? Thought not. The wise get out.

Tadaa.
jenkinsd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academic publishing. High-ticket databases and research solutions to universities, research institutes, governments and corporate. And yes, it's a fair bit more than that.

Tada.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: well done Reply with quote

Well done. Are you doing it in Poland or did you have to leave Poland to make that money? And, how many years did it take of living on very little to get a job like that?

The money I make is based on a 3.5 day week 7am-4pm/noon. 99% of the teachers in Poland work their asses off for very little and you know it and it's irrelevant if they speak good Polish or not. I too worked in publishing in Poland ( a national magazine) and speaking or rather not speaking Polish had nowt to do with it. I've never said people don't get lucky but most don't.

I was an options trader in the city before TEFL.

Tadaaa Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on, we all know dragonpiwo is The God of EFL - he's the Donald Trump of the boards. Yield! Vote for dragonpiwo - the most successful, rich, right member of the Poland forums. It's useless to resist and argue Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: