Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Praxis or NES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamze90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Praxis or NES Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea which of the praxis or NES exams is easier? Am thinking to become certified.

Thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither will be useful in Italy, the Czech Republic, or Tallin Rolling Eyes

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113060
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Praxis or NES Reply with quote

gamze90 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea which of the praxis or NES exams is easier? Am thinking to become certified.

Huh? Just 10 days ago you were inquiring about the PGCE (see "PGCE Overseas"), which is specific to UK teachers. And now you're asking about US-specific teaching qualifications.

Your posts are unfocused because you tend to post the same questions and scenarios on different country forums. It's hard to see your inquiries as credible. But if that's not the case, why not post more about your qualifications (i.e., degree level and major, target countries, k-12 subject you expect to teach, etc.) and what your nationality is? Otherwise...
gamze90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGCEi doesnt give QTS. I am thinking about doing the Teach Now programme while working so that I can get into a better/international school in Europe, so yes it eill be useful! You can certify via Arizona or DC and one requires the praxis and the other NES. The license can after be transfered to the UK which makes it better than a PGCEi.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamze90 wrote:
You can certify via Arizona or DC and one requires the praxis and the other NES. The license can after be transfered to the UK which makes it better than a PGCEi.

Then perhaps you should pose your questions on a forum like International Schools Review.

But before you start thinking about the difficulty of tests for whatever subject you plan to teach, you might check the requirements for applying for licensure in DC and Arizona. For example, you'll likely need a Social Security Number, which is a major consideration for a Brit who doesn't plan to live or work in the States.
gamze90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and called and they're the only states which you don't Smile
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach Now is the progam often preferred by non-US citizens seeking teacher licensure in the US. Both Teach Now and Teacher Ready accept foreign candidates, but Florida requires applicants to be US citizens to qualify for a state license. Washington, D.C. will license non-citizens. I don't know anything about Arizona, so either go through D.C., or find out if Arizona requires US citizenship.

This is the more important question: which state will license you, not which test is easier. And, yes, you can use a US state credential to later obtain QTS.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, are you saying that Arizona does not require US citizenship to qualify for a teaching license? If that is the case, and you can qualify for licensure through either D.C. or Arizona, then I would head on over to the International Schools Review forum.

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=1

You can pose your original question there, as suggested earier, in addition to asking about any other known pros and cons to choosing one over the other.

mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Virginia or Georgia?
Are they in this program?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamze90 wrote:
I checked and called and they're the only states which you don't Smile

It's unclear who you called, but I suggest you email the DC and Arizona state ed departments' licensing units directly and clearly describe your plans to step foot in the US (or not) in order to qualify for a teaching license. Get their responses in writing because AZ and DC both indicate an SSN on their licensure applications:

Arizona Application for Certification and from the Praxis website:

Quote:
Important Information

The District of Columbia requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator licensure paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but failure to provide your SSN will delay processing of your licensure application.
Source: https://www.ets.org/praxis/dc

This isn't about being a US citizen; foreign students have been issued SSNs mainly for purposes under the Department of Homeland Security. Besides, the teaching license is occupation related.
gamze90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone! Nice to see kind, helpful people on here. Yes, I called DC and Arizona and got all Qs answered.. Im just trying to find out if praxşs or nes is easier
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamze90 wrote:
Im just trying to find out if praxşs or nes is easier

Only someone who has taken both tests could answer that question, and even then, it's subjective; what's easy for some, is difficult for others. That said, if you're testing in the same subject as your degree major, then either test shouldn't be too challenging for you (in theory). On the hand, if you plan to get licensed in a subject you've never formally studied, then good luck with that.
gamze90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the praxis core math which scares me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamze90 wrote:
It's the praxis core math which scares me.

There are a variety of Praxis practice tests (say that fast) to help you determine where you're weak in math. Of course, you can also brush up on your math skills if it's a subject you've always struggled with.

By the way, what's your degree major? And what subject do you plan to become licensed in?
gamze90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My degree is in English. I want to certify in Elementary teaching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: