Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adveti
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaro wrote:
what an absolute unprofessional with It's Academic recruiting out of Toronto for Adveti. öoops sorry, Ädveti actually doesn't include your kid's education. ohhh sorry again, that salary saying including accoms means u pay your own accoms.

I doubt ADVETI ever included education allowances for dependents; those benefits are usually provided to university foundation year teachers. But with those programs being phased out at the three major public universities, it's not surprising that salaries and bennies are being cut back.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaro wrote:
what an absolute unprofessional with It's Academic recruiting out of Toronto for Adveti. öoops sorry, Ädveti actually doesn't include your kid's education. ohhh sorry again, that salary saying including accoms means u pay your own accoms. Can't be hired to work in the UAE after you turn 53. Good luck to all of you. I'm done with trying to teach esl with my credentials and experience. it's all a joke

Wow. Yeah, that's definitely a joke. Embarassed
ajankows

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Im also working with its academic, and yes I agree the job is not ideal as per cost of living in uae. However the add states 20,000 including flights and accommodations. The real salary is around 12-13k, and you can pocket what you don't spend on accommodation. I don't think we all need to live in a plush 9000 a month apartment. In most cities 4000-6000 a month can do you well. My question is has someone had experience with the final interview? Do you credentials need to be certified or notarized by a lawyer or your national ministry of education? In my case Ontario Canada? Please let me know as my interview is set for Monday febuary 1st.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajankows wrote:
My question is has someone had experience with the final interview? Do you credentials need to be certified or notarized by a lawyer or your national ministry of education? In my case Ontario Canada? Please let me know as my interview is set for Monday febuary 1st.

For the third time mentioned in this thread...
You likely won't get much recent info about ADVETI on this forum. There are other teaching forums besides this one. Do a regular Internet search on adveti forum. Ditto for a Net search on adveti reviews. That should connect you to forums with current comments.
Megaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah you see, good people, I first asked if schooling for my child was covered. She said "The company does pay international school fees for dependents." Then, in interview, she says öh you are taking your child with you? I say, yes, and refer her to the email. She says....ooops that's me typing so fast, I forgot the "not" The company does NOT pay schooling. then add on the accoms and I just laughed. you see I was willing to fly out to Toronto from the west coast on my own dime for the interview.. but the rest of it was so unprofessional and made me realize why I want nothing to do with teaching esl anymore. yes, do read other forums for word on this company. this is my experience with a recruiter here in Canada, good people.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaro wrote:
It was so unprofessional and made me realize why I want nothing to do with teaching esl anymore.

Typically, positions that include that level of benefits require a minimum of a (TEFL-related) MA, which ADVETI does not, as clearly stated in the ad.

If you're not giving up on EFL completely, check Qatar University's website; they possibly offer an education allowance.
s2000000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

The oft' quoted age limit is flexible.

Last edited by s2000000 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

s2000000 wrote:
These restrictions change faster than most people change their underwear; depends on which ESL 'recruiter' you deal with. Sort of like 'immigration consultants' and their promises..

Why the heck are you dealing with recruiters? The better positions are filled directly by employers, especially if you have a TEFL-related MA.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
s2000000 wrote:
These restrictions change faster than most people change their underwear; depends on which ESL 'recruiter' you deal with. Sort of like 'immigration consultants' and their promises..

Why the heck are you dealing with recruiters? The better positions are filled directly by employers, especially if you have a TEFL-related MA.

Um, because they're hiring THRU recruiters???
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

s2000000 wrote:
The oft' quoted age limit of 58 is bs and subject to change; one day its 65, another 55, another 52, and finally 58. I had 3 great years in the UAE, and my age at contract signing time was north of 54. Frustrating. The age thing means nothing and is highly biased/unfair (bo-ho, right?).

They'd actually posted on one site 58 and on another 55, saying that is was per UAE law, but that's not true, companies can sponsor to age 65 now, unless one has "wasta" then it's like 100 Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

The "better" positions aren't at HCT and ADVETI. Try private universities that post openings on their own websites. Or look elsewhere in the Gulf like the American U of Kuwait, Sultan Qaboos U in Oman, Qatar University, Community College of Qatar...
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that ADVETI no longer provides an Education Allowance, Megaro?

ADVETI used to provide an Education Allowance for new recruits,
as this document from a few years back clearly states...
http://adveti.abudhabi.ae/careers/v5/files/ad_website_v03.pdf

Now that a barrel of oil is fetching less than $30,
I guess that cutbacks in benefits are to be anticipated across the Gulf.

Geronimo
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE TEACHER/TRAINER POSITIONS: ABU DHABI Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

The "better" positions aren't at HCT and ADVETI. Try private universities that post openings on their own websites. Or look elsewhere in the Gulf like the American U of Kuwait, Sultan Qaboos U in Oman, Qatar University, Community College of Qatar...

Oman doesn't pay.. I don't have a Master's unfortunately..which limits me...20 years of ESL experience, but who cares? lol..i've met lots of Master's and Ph'ds who don't have a clue how to deal with students.. I know some HCT staff who don't have Master's but they got on like 8 to 10 years ago, or because they knew someone in HR Wink

I know HCT isn't what it used to be, I was never interested in working there, I know it's possible to work in CERT without a Master's, but they're suffering over there.
Oman: doesn't pay, nor does Kuwait, I was offered a job in Kuwait teaching Police, but the pay was REALLy bad. And Oman, if you can get 900, it's considered a good pay, my last job paid 18k plus 100 k housing etc..i'll never get that again I know, but I sure don't want to go down too much.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
Are you sure that ADVETI no longer provides an Education Allowance, Megaro?

ADVETI used to provide an Education Allowance for new recruits,
as this document from a few years back clearly states...
http://adveti.abudhabi.ae/careers/v5/files/ad_website_v03.pdf

Now that a barrel of oil is fetching less than $30,
I guess that cutbacks in benefits are to be anticipated across the Gulf.
Geronimo

Yes. you're right that Advetti used to pay, but not anymore. I've heard form one guy who's there that they're going to try to change their contracts so that they don't pay staff housing, but just the 20k they're offering to cover everything. Considering the cost of housing in AD, and who wants to share a flat? Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

I don't have a Master's unfortunately..which limits me...20 years of ESL experience.

Too bad you didn't boost your qualifications over those 20 years; you're severely limited with a BA given there are plenty of teachers with both a related MA and two decades of experience. That leaves you with KSA as your main option for decent earnings. That's the reality of it unless you get a k-12 teaching license/certificate or pursue a grad degree, which likely doesn't appeal to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: