Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adveti
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
The "better" positions aren't at HCT and ADVETI. Try private universities that post openings on their own websites. Or look elsewhere in the Gulf like the American U of Kuwait, Sultan Qaboos U in Oman, Qatar University, Community College of Qatar...

I don't have a Master's unfortunately..which limits me...20 years of ESL experience.

Too bad you didn't boost your qualifications over those 20 years; you're severely limited with a BA given there are plenty of teachers with both a related MA and two decades of experience. That leaves you with KSA as your main option for decent earnings. That's the reality of it unless you get a k-12 teaching license/certificate or pursue a grad degree, which likely doesn't appeal to you.

Not really, many jobs take CELTA...i'm being selective..i deserve to be Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
The "better" positions aren't at HCT and ADVETI. Try private universities that post openings on their own websites. Or look elsewhere in the Gulf like the American U of Kuwait, Sultan Qaboos U in Oman, Qatar University, Community College of Qatar...

I don't have a Master's unfortunately..which limits me...20 years of ESL experience.

Too bad you didn't boost your qualifications over those 20 years; you're severely limited with a BA given there are plenty of teachers with both a related MA and two decades of experience. That leaves you with KSA as your main option for decent earnings. That's the reality of it unless you get a k-12 teaching license/certificate or pursue a grad degree, which likely doesn't appeal to you.

The better employers in the region are being selective as well. Good luck with those CELTA-requirement jobs. Smile
s2000000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: ADVETI/MOE interviews: Toronto Reply with quote

For those who had the very recent interview, how was it?

Last edited by s2000000 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: ADVETI/MOE interviews: Toronto Reply with quote

s2000000 wrote:
For those who had the very recent interview, how did you find it? Did you come out feeling all rosy and confident?

Did you interview with them? i thought it was a TOTAL joke! Flew to the place, paid hotel etc, to find out half hour before that it wasn't the job title as advertised, mentoring, but teaching in gov't schools. And first they said grades 10 to 12, then changed it to grades 8 to 12. I think it was a total scam. There was no one there from Adveti, but from ADEC and MOE.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
canadianUAE wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

The better employers in the region are being selective as well. Good luck with those CELTA-requirement jobs. Smile
Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was to point out your contradiction. You admit to that your lack of an MA limits you for the better positions in the region, but then state that a grad degree isn't needed anyway because there are plenty of (high-paying?) CELTA-only jobs that you can be picky about. Confused

Good luck with your job search. I mean that.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
My comment was to point out your contradiction. You admit to that your lack of an MA limits you for the better positions in the region, but then state that a grad degree isn't needed anyway because there are plenty of (high-paying?) CELTA-only jobs that you can be picky about. Confused

Good luck with your job search. I mean that.

Ah thanks..and I was using a bit of sarcasm when i said about CELTA etc. I think the UAE is going to be doing a whole revamp so they don't have to pay those big salaries, housing allowances etc. The good old days are over! Reality is, there are lots more western schools so kids are learning English earlier.
teacherofenglish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Working for Adveti Reply with quote

Ok first, you do read a lot of s**t on these forums so don't listen to everything people are trying to tell you. I made the mistake of asking about Adveti a while back and all I got was negative comments. I guess that default users/commentators on these forums are either people an axe to grind or those with too much time on their hands.
Anyway, just to let you know I currently work for Adveti out in the UAE. I got my flights paid for, an education allowance for my child, health insurance and the relocation allowance (about 20,000 dhs). OK, so deals used to be better and I'm sure the good old days were great, but I've been round the circuit a bit teaching English and the deal here is pretty reasonable. Some of the single guys and girls I work with actually save a lot from their housing allowance and have a pretty good lifestyle. I love it here - as do a lot of my colleagues. The standard of living is better than in many places (including mine back in UK). The students might not be the greatest, but they're generally nice enough. The management style might not be what you're used to, but again, you have to learn to adapt.
In my humble opinion the deal we work on out here is pretty good. If you're married and your spouse can find work then you'll be seriously OK. Holidays are also good - all my colleagues have been to the far East/Africa/Europe on their holidays.
Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter. If you want to PM me at all then go for it. Just so you know though...of the about 30 teachers I work with at my campus, I would say 25 are pretty happy with the deal and the working hours etc. Five are probably a bit disgruntled, but then again the UAE isn't for everyone, and the job might not be what you're used to Smile
I hear that some people are being offered no education allowance etc more recently. If I didn't have this I would not even have considered coming...you need it. But as I settle down now for an evening swim and enjoy a pretty high standard of family life I feel I've made the right choice. Hope it works our for you too.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Working for Adveti Reply with quote

teacherofenglish wrote:
I hear that some people are being offered no education allowance etc more recently. If I didn't have this I would not even have considered coming...you need it. But as I settle down now for an evening swim and enjoy a pretty high standard of family life I feel I've made the right choice. Hope it works our for you too.

So, you are admitting that they are cutting benefits... no education allowance. It has also been reported that the relocation allowance has been cut.

In other words, the negative posts are pretty much accurate and you are one of those still enjoying the "good old days" while the newbies are quickly figuring out that it probably isn't worth it anymore?

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

They contacted me with an offer out of the blue. I pointed out that I earn way more and that the up front costs of renting a place make their offer really bad. People really need to look into the rental prices and hidden costs ie commissions etc. 12 months rent up front is just the beginning in Abu Dhabi.
teacherofenglish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here 6 months so hardly one enjoying the good old days!! I'm actually trying to offer an opinion from someone who speaks from experience...not someone speculating on being here and what it might mean. If you have kids, yes you need an education allowance. And people who've just arrived (2 weeks ago) have received their relocation allowance. If Adveti plan to stop these then do think hard about what it might mean for you. As for 12 month rent up front - really! I've heard the rumours too...why would you do that? It's not necessary and obviously no-one can afford to do that....so they don't. We're EFL teachers not oil execs!! I know no-one who does that, and believe me I know quite a few Adveti teachers out here. Most people pay rent every 3 months, which yes this is tough at first, but it's the way it is.
Anyway, my point's been proven about forum users - if anyone wants some genuine advice get in touch.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I point others to forum sites specific to ADVETI that are way more active than this one. Those interested can make up their own minds about taking a position with this employer.

The most recent ad from a company recruiting for ADVETI states:

Quote:
BENEFITS: English Teachers will be paid 20,000 Dirhams Per Month which is equivalent to approximately US$5400 Tax Free. This total amount includes an accommodation subsidy and airfare. There are summer vacation and national holidays amounting to 42 days annual leave. The employer will provide medical insurance for self and eligible family members, mobilization costs (for staff locating from another country), end of service benefits, and repatriation back to your home country (for eligible employees). There are NO extra Tuition Benefits for Children provided.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lousy package in my opinion. Rather vague as to what "mobilization costs" are or how much. Definitely needs to be asked at interview.

Getting to where it is only acceptable for singles or those with an employed spouse.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm in the UAE too and have just paid 12 months rent up front. It's the cheapest way to rent. Things are different in Dubai. There's also the matter of being married and getting a 'tawtheek' rental contract. Without that, you cannot sponsor your wife and she'll have to do border runs. Most of these cheap rooms/studios in villas don't have 'tawtheek' contracts and I've read online that these conversion type flats are illegal and therefore you have zilch to fall back on if you get turfed out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rather vague as to what "mobilization costs" are or how much. Definitely needs to be asked at interview.

That's probably airport transportation and hotel stay upon initial arrival to the UAE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: