Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Options for NQT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faranjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Options for NQT Reply with quote

Hello people,
I'm currently in Korea where I have taught ESL in a public school for the last 6 years. I'm going back to South Africa in February to complete my teachers training to complete my PGCE.
My teachers training will last 10 weeks and I hope to be done by June. At this point I would have completed all modules to would be registered as a teacher with the South African Education board. However, I don't know by when I will get the actual degree.
The plan is to get a get a job at an international school, anywhere in the ME really, as soon as possible.
What are my chances taking into account that I will only have my Korean teaching experience but no copy of my degree yet?
Any help or tips are much appreciated.
Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Teachaway website as they list clearly the requirements.

Clearly you will be at entry level as the better employers will require a few years of experience *after* the completion of your required certificate.

Most employers want to see the completed certificate. Perhaps your system can provide some kind of letter supporting your completion.

VS
janice_l

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Options for NQT Reply with quote

faranjo wrote:
Hello people,
I'm currently in Korea where I have taught ESL in a public school for the last 6 years. I'm going back to South Africa in February to complete my teachers training to complete my PGCE.
My teachers training will last 10 weeks and I hope to be done by June. At this point I would have completed all modules to would be registered as a teacher with the South African Education board. However, I don't know by when I will get the actual degree.
The plan is to get a get a job at an international school, anywhere in the ME really, as soon as possible.
What are my chances taking into account that I will only have my Korean teaching experience but no copy of my degree yet?
Any help or tips are much appreciated.
Thanks

Janice here from Teach Away. Thanks @veiledsentiments for the recommendation!

To answer your question, @faranjo, your documentation will be required for visa purposes. However, if you anticipate that you will receive this soon, you can still apply to positions. On your Teach Away profile, be sure to add your degree along with your expected date.

Also, I want to clarify that generally you will still need to complete your degree and obtain your license from SACE to teach in "certified" teaching positions. Your teaching experience in Korea is definitely useful, but the requirements on our job posting refer to post-qualification/certification experience only. However, it's still a huge plus! Depending on when you apply, we have had some positions in Qatar that did not absolutely require post-qualification teaching experience.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: