Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bangkok jobs in May?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Bangkok jobs in May? Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances theres a high chance I won't be able to get to Thailand until the start of May this year to look for a job once I'm CELTA qualified. My original plan was Phuket but due to me going there so late, I'm thinking Bangkok is a more likely option.

Does anyone know how likely I am to find a job at this time? Some have told me that turnover in Bangkok is high and because it's so big there's usually some jobs going at most time, but I also know hiring is usually in March and April so I'm a bit worried.

Any info would be great Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bangkok jobs in May? Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Hey guys.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances theres a high chance I won't be able to get to Thailand until the start of May this year to look for a job once I'm CELTA qualified. My original plan was Phuket but due to me going there so late, I'm thinking Bangkok is a more likely option.

Does anyone know how likely I am to find a job at this time? Some have told me that turnover in Bangkok is high and because it's so big there's usually some jobs going at most time, but I also know hiring is usually in March and April so I'm a bit worried.

Any info would be great Smile

If you are:
    a native speaker (passport from one of UK, Ire, USA, Can, Aus, NZ),
    are under 60 (able to get a work permit),
    have a degree (visa requirement),
    have a clean police clearance (now a visa requirement)
    are in the country between April 18 (end of Songkran) and May 16 (start of the school year),

the chances of finding work as an EFL teacher are 100%.

If you do not have a degree (visa and work permit requirement) to go with your (not required) CELTA your chances drop off significantly; less so if you are white - yes, racism is alive and well in Thailand) since legal work (defined as having a proper visa and work permit) is not possible.

If you are a foreigner and a non-native speaker
OR
a foreigner and non-white then your chances drop off exponentially.

Females will have fewer obstacles than males and at that time of year should be able to find work within days of landing at BKK if they are actually looking.

Last edited by suphanburi on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bangkok jobs in May? Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

If you are:
    are in the country between April 18 (end of Songkran) and May 16 (start of the school year),

If you do not have a degree (visa and work permit requirement) to go with your (not required) CELTA your chances drop off significantly less so if you are white - yes, racism is alive and well in Thailand) since legal work (defined as having a proper visa and work permit) is not possible.

OR

Females will have fewer obstacles than males and at that time of year should be able to find work within days of landing at BKK if they are actually looking.

Thanks for the info Smile I know I've asked a lot of questions, but this slight hiccup in my plans was very unexpected so it's great to get some reassurance.

I presume from what you've said then, that most school teaching jobs wouldn't actually start until nearer May 16th? In which case, I guess that is good news for me Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bangkok jobs in May? Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
suphanburi wrote:

If you are:

If you do not have a degree (visa and work permit requirement) to go with your (not required) CELTA your chances drop off significantly; less so if you are white - yes, racism is alive and well in Thailand) since legal work (defined as having a proper visa and work permit) is not possible.

OR

Thanks for the info Smile I know I've asked a lot of questions, but this slight hiccup in my plans was very unexpected so it's great to get some reassurance.

I presume from what you've said then, that most school teaching jobs wouldn't actually start until nearer May 16th? In which case, I guess that is good news for me Smile

Most teachers will report on the 2nd or 9th of May with students returning on the 16th.

There will still be lots of unfilled positions in the 1st 1/2 of May. There are always more jobs than white faced degree holders. Even illegals find work (at least until the school can find a legal teacher).

bigdurianthesecond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you breathing? Do you have a pulse?

Answer yes and you've got yourself a job in the Land of Smiles
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and PLEASE remember to SMILE...and you will be rewarded in Thai Baths! Welcome to AMAZNG Thailand!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: