Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your view. Reply with quote

Hi all.
I've got quite an unusual situation but if you can help me it'd be great.

So, I am the 32-years old eastern Europe white male with degree in engineering (HVAC, to be exact) which I have been using to earn money since 2005.

7 years ago, when my subconsciousness told me that something awful was going to happen in both my country and my field of industry (Nowadays, it seems to be an unfortunately exact prediction),
I started to acquire some other kinds of non-degree education and certificates.

For instance, for today I have 3 software certificates, PMP-PMI certificate, some expertise certificates in construction and power industry and local course of educational program management in the non-government (private) educational bodies. I have a 4-years experience in the industrial and business mentoring and coaching, but this type of work is rather vocational for me (from 5 to 6 times a year, each coaching session lasts approximately 4 days). And of course, 11 years of engineering experience.
Furthermore, in the end of 2015 I received ESOL-Cambridge CPE certificate.

Realizing that my current way of living is doomed (unless I move myself to another part of the globe) I try to do my best at moving to another country (and many representatives express a wish to accept me as a candidate), but most of them tell me that it's almost mandatory (though not legally stated) that I should spend at least two years in position of foreign employee to be considered as a suitable middle-term or high-term employee for the engineering or project management role.

So, since it seems to be way more simple to become a foreign English teacher (compared to the engineer or PM), I am interested now if I really do have any chance to become him and what type of education or certificate is the most valuable to pursue this career?
CELTA/DELTA/Trinity ESOL? And, by the way, what are the perspectives of such type of employment?

Thank you all.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching HVAC Engineering ? That would probably pay better than teaching EFL. Or at least try English for Engineers.
Lears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Teaching HVAC Engineering ? That would probably pay better than teaching EFL. Or at least try English for Engineers.

Teaching HVAC would certainly pay better than an English teaching, but still I need to settle down abroad to gain some 'settlement experience'.

Yes, English for Engineers sounds much better but once again: CELTA/DELTA/Trinity ESOL or neither?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your v Reply with quote

Lears wrote:
So, since it seems to be way more simple to become a foreign English teacher (compared to the engineer or PM), I am interested now if I really do have any chance to become him and what type of education or certificate is the most valuable to pursue this career? CELTA/DELTA/Trinity ESOL? And, by the way, what are the perspectives of such type of employment?

Sure, you can pursue a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL, but be aware you'd earn peanuts as an entry-level EFL teacher and would be scraping by. (Worldwide, TEFL salaries are generally stagnant or shrinking.) For a reality check, research the salaries in your country before investing in TEFL training.

and Lears wrote:
I try to do my best at moving to another country (and many representatives express a wish to accept me as a candidate), but most of them tell me that it's almost mandatory (though not legally stated) that I should spend at least two years in position of foreign employee to be considered as a suitable middle-term or high-term employee for the engineering or project management role.

This is the more sensible path, especially if employers in your field are showing interest in you. You'd have short and long-term opportunities for growth that TEFL doesn't offer.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just do an engineering job overseas?
Lears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your v Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

This is the more sensible path, especially if employers in your field are showing interest in you. You'd have short and long-term opportunities for growth that TEFL doesn't offer.

And this is where the miracle starts.
1. Yes, I have prospective employers and recruits who are ready to employ me as soon as I become the holder of working visa or (for the US) the greencard. More preferably, with 2 years of local settlement experience.
2. BUT: they cannot offer visa sponsorship. And if I do not have a visa sponsorship I cannot claim for a working visa.

So, it seemed to me that this type of job called English Teaching would be better way to start with something smaller in order to continue with what you really want.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to compete on the job market as a teacher of English in any Anglophone country; the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc. all have more than enough qualified native speakers of English of their own to compete for jobs. There isn't enough need for foreign ESL teachers for anyone to sponsor a visa for you in these areas.

You'll need to narrow your search to somewhere that you can compete on the EFL job market as a non-native speaker of English; it is likely to be Asia (or other parts of CEE). However, as you won't probably be fluent in the local language, you are unlikely to eventually land a job in your own field.

It is a bit of a catch-22, I'm afraid.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lears wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

And this is where the miracle starts.
1. Yes, I have prospective employers and recruits who are ready to employ me as soon as I become the holder of working visa or (for the US) the greencard. More preferably, with 2 years of local settlement experience.
2. BUT: they cannot offer visa sponsorship. And if I do not have a visa sponsorship I cannot claim for a working visa.

So, it seemed to me that this type of job called English Teaching would be better way to start with something smaller in order to continue with what you really want.

Getting employment in your field in the US isn't realistic. And trying to do so initially via an ESL job in the States ain't gonna happen.

Instead, focus on countries where you're more likely to get a visa and that have a great need for English-speaking engineers with your specialty (perhaps the UAE or Qatar --- both hire expats), especially countries that are having a construction boom. Also, if relocating is high on your list, check engineering companies in your home country that are based elsewhere in the world and look into job HVAC opportunities.
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but you may consider coming to Northern Alberta. There are quite a few eastern Europeans working here in the HVAC/engineering industry. It's not impossible to obtain a work visa for that reason (ESL, yes, that's not going to happen here). I am currently working with a few Polish children, and their father is here doing the same work as back home.

Here (Canada), an MEd/MA TESOL and some experience is needed to teach ESL. They don't really care so much for industry background, although it would obviously be a bonus. But you need the MEd/MA qualifications.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your v Reply with quote

Can I ask an obvious question?

Lears wrote:
most of them tell me that it's almost mandatory (though not legally stated) that I should spend at least two years in position of foreign employee to be considered as a suitable middle-term or high-term employee for the engineering or project management role.

Who said this? I'm a Brit who spent six years as an engineer in Germany with a multinational and cosmopolitan company. No one ever had to do two years elsewhere to get in there.

And as I have been a teacher and an engineer, I can tell you that teaching won't help you get any engineering job. It won't do any harm in terms of communication skills, etc, but I did teaching for a change of scene, not as a means to an engineering job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your v Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

Lears wrote:
most of them tell me that it's almost mandatory (though not legally stated) that I should spend at least two years in position of foreign employee to be considered as a suitable middle-term or high-term employee for the engineering or project management role.

Who said this? I'm a Brit who spent six years as an engineer in Germany with a multinational and cosmopolitan company. No one ever had to do two years elsewhere to get in there.

The OP indicated (above) that these were employers in the US.
Lears

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engineer to English Teacher (Serious Issue). Need your v Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

Lears wrote:

And as I have been a teacher and an engineer, I can tell you that teaching won't help you get any engineering job. It won't do any harm in terms of communication skills, etc, but I did teaching for a change of scene, not as a means to an engineering job.

Yep, 3 different employers in the US told me this in December and January.
Perhaps, they did it because they simply couldn't explain in other words that the prospective employee is considered as a stable and serious candidate, and spending two years in the country legally and employed is a hard proof to support this.

Changing a scene is not a bad idea but as I heard before foreign teaching job market was shrinking.
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you apply for immigration to Canada or Australia as a skilled engineer worker.
Since you have a degree in HVAC engineering, with industrial experience in construction and power engineering, and good knowledge of English, I think you stand high chance to get permanent visa in Canada through their skilled worker system. It is much better than switching to become a foreign English teacher, where the salary is an insult compared to what an engineer get in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/Immigrate/skilled/index.asp
Kowloon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the advice above about locating areas with a high need for your current skills. You will likely be somewhere remote and not particularly exciting but it will likely give you the chance to transfer somewhere better in a couple of years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: