Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NNS's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: NNS's Reply with quote

Hello all,

Firstly, I have been reading the forums throughout the day and learnt a great deal from the postings. What you are doing here is wonderful. Kudos! to the founder and the people behind this forum/site; equally, the participants who take the time to share valuable information by posting here.

My question: I have seen very little information about non-native speakers as ESL/EFL etc., teachers in the forums. I made a reasonable assumption that there are not many. I would like to know how difficult/easy is it to get a teaching position being a NNS Question I graduate (BA Communication) in Apr 2005, and would like to take a TESOL or similar to maybe return to UAE as an instructor, lived in AE for 4yrs before, if not of English, then another discipline. I have some experience training adults but at the (corporate) organisational level in Canada and enjoyed this immensely, but none at the primary/secondary/college level. I think TESOL/TEFL would be a great transition into teaching at these levels.

Therefore:

1) NNS Confused
2) without any experience - can intern
3) will work to get a TESOL diploma Wink

is my current situation, planning to travel to UAE in the summer, 05.

I would appreciate any information about this, especially from NNS instructors(if any) but anyone with any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Primarily, while the employer(s) *may* eventually choose to employ the NNS, how would the NNS favor in the classroom with his/her students acceptance of him/her Question Is this even a good idea Idea , with many positions explicitly stating a native english speaker as a prerequisite Question

Thank you
SSS Very Happy
Afra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think being a non-native speaker of English is a problem. However, you are not a teacher so you aren't likely to get work teaching in the UAE. There was a post recently asking about unqualified teachers working here.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSS

If you were a qualified teacher with a degree in education, plus CELTA or even better, an MA in TEFL, and a few years experience teaching in the field, I'd say that the fact that you are a nns would not be that important.

The fact that you have none of the above would exclude you from teaching in the Gulf. I have never heard of any 'intern' type positions. So many teachers want to teach in the UAE, that they can choose the best qualified and experienced.

Get your qualifications and a few years of experience in your own country (Canada?) and then try looking for a job in the UAE.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: