Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching academic writing at postgraduate level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarns051

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Teaching academic writing at postgraduate level Reply with quote

I am going to be teaching academic writing to postgraduate masters students this semester at my current university. Can anyone recommend a good textbook for teaching writing to postgraduate students?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get cozy to the publishers (Oxford, Cambridge, Longman, and the local options) and their representatives. You can often get freebies and they all have some writing skills textbooks.

Something like this might be useful:

https://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/global/skills/effective_academic_writing_second_edition/?cc=gb&selLanguage=en&mode=hub
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably already know this, but I'll say it for the benefit of others:

Before you pick out a book, find out their majors. Post graduate writing entails writing criticism, historical research, scientific research and reporting, etc..

Each discipline requires different in-line citation methods, bibliography, annotated bibliography, and works cited forms. Then there are footnotes (quickly becoming a thing of the past, but still in use).

Then there are the different styles. For example, the sciences generally require that the text be written in the present tense (APA style). Journalism majors have the AP style. History usually adheres to the Turabian style. The various styles mentioned may have different names in the UK, but each discipline follows specific guidelines when written in the English language.

Teaching graduate and post-graduate writing generally goes beyond the five paragraph approach. Much of the success of this level of writing hinges upon not only mastery of the language and writing style, but technical form.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught postgrad writing for some years. As BudPowell points out, it is very field-specific, and the conventions of the field of study dictate aims to a large extent.

More generally, hedging and boosting, understanding academic verbs and how they frame the writer's stance toward their own work and the work of others, citation and referencing, nominalization vs. verb phrases/possessive forms, and other higher level items become very important. The courses we teach include native speakers of English as students on a regular basis.

The 5-paragraph essay is pretty much useless, and most postgrad writing does not value elegant variation in terminology, unlike IELTS, Cambridge, and other similar essay writing.

What field/s of study are they working in?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you actually teaching? To be honest, if in Asia/outside Europe then many students are going to need the 'nuts and bolts' and a lot of feedback, preparation, and guidance even to produce the simplest of form of written work. Even at universities in Europe (especially Eastern Europe) a lot of students will be at a relatively low level. I taught in Estonia for awhile and my university students were only at B1 level, and taking the PET exam at the end of the academic year..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching academic writing at postgraduate level Reply with quote

tarns051 wrote:
I am going to be teaching academic writing to postgraduate masters students this semester at my current university. Can anyone recommend a good textbook for teaching writing to postgraduate students?

Doesn't your university have syllabi for their courses? If this writing class has been taught before, the course textbooks would have been stated on the syllabus. Or is it that the current book for this course is inadequate?

That said, do Chinese universities typically use syllabi?
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching academic writing at postgraduate level Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

That said, do Chinese universities typically use syllabi?

I haven't taught at a Chinese public university or college that didn't require a syllabus.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Where are you actually teaching? To be honest, if in Asia/outside Europe then many students are going to need the 'nuts and bolts' and a lot of feedback, preparation, and guidance even to produce the simplest of form of written work.

I've been mostly lucky in that even sophomores and juniors in English major programs could write very well once they were told that they could do it. (Really. It was a matter of self-confidence).

I never saw their research papers (actually literary criticism or topics in the English language) but I imagine that they were pretty good. I did attend one of my former class's senior thesis presentations. They were pretty good.
tarns051

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am teaching at a University in Changchun. I have asked a Chinese teacher, she has said the students are different majors, and there is no set syllabus. I will have my first class on Monday afternoon, so probably wont know until then about the students majors.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:
Where are you actually teaching? To be honest, if in Asia/outside Europe then many students are going to need the 'nuts and bolts' and a lot of feedback, preparation, and guidance even to produce the simplest of form of written work.

I've been mostly lucky in that even sophomores and juniors in English major programs could write very well once they were told that they could do it. (Really. It was a matter of self-confidence).

I never saw their research papers (actually literary criticism or topics in the English language) but I imagine that they were pretty good. I did attend one of my former class's senior thesis presentations. They were pretty good.

I asked a former student (English Major) to prepare a few paras on her course content for a book on my China experience.
I was blown away by the range of poetry and literature she studied over the 4 years.
I taught her as a sophomore and I still kid her about her appearance at my apartment door one Saturday morning to ask 'What do you know about the character of Shylock?'
That was sophomore so the junior and senior years would have been way more intense.
I agree with Bud that it is a confidence issue. I make a point of telling freshmen that with the English they have they could visit an English-speaking country, book a hotel, order a meal, get medical attention and have an enjoyable conversation with a local.
I think for many non-English majors the subject is about as riveting as learning your friend's phone number. A bit of boring code.
Give them a glimpse of their English in use as a social/business skill and
you get a lot more buy-in.
BTW As an aid to writing has anyone seen the Grammarly app in use by their students?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: