Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cebu IT Park Options?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Cebu IT Park Options? Reply with quote

Hello,

In my nomadic ESL life I passed through Cebu a couple years back for 18 months. I was considering doing six months more there once my visa runs out at the end of June. This is mainly because I need a new girlfriend and countries like my last two stops, Colombia and Mexico, have developed to the point where the women can feed themselves, hence, making any chance for me to procure a fair lady practically nil.

But there are more serious reasons for a return to Asia for a bit. I run an online business and work for an online school, and will absolutely not put my trust in any residential Internet options after the agony I endured last time.

I have been seeing options appear for renting a cubicle with high speed Internet in IT Park, either in a call center or a couple new hubs for entrepreneurs. Does anybody have any feedback if the reliability and speed walk the walk? Thanks!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cebu IT Park Options? Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Hello,

In my nomadic ESL life I passed through Cebu a couple years back for 18 months. I was considering doing six months more there once my visa runs out at the end of June. This is mainly because I need a new girlfriend and countries like my last two stops, Colombia and Mexico, have developed to the point where the women can feed themselves, hence, making any chance for me to procure a fair lady practically nil.

But there are more serious reasons for a return to Asia for a bit. I run an online business and work for an online school, and will absolutely not put my trust in any residential Internet options after the agony I endured last time.

I have been seeing options appear for renting a cubicle with high speed Internet in IT Park, either in a call center or a couple new hubs for entrepreneurs. Does anybody have any feedback if the reliability and speed walk the walk? Thanks!

In Cebu it isn't that hard to get 7.2mbps with either ADSL or 3G (especially in the area around the IT center or Ayalla.

Out in the province it is another matter.

jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, it is not hard to get them as I lived right there. Still it was a service and reliability nightmare. From time to time I would meet someone in Cebu who would brag about their great service. Three months later I would meet them again and almost invariably something had happened to cause said great Internet to go south. The government has a strong interest in developing BPO so usually right in the Park works at a much higher standard. The problem used to be that the only options were renting an office from someone like Regus at a very high rate. But it seems that some other options have opened up. I am loath to trust them at their word, however, until I get some objective feedback.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research and found a new place called The Tide in IT Park which offers seats and 50mb internet access and backup electricity. The costs are very reasonable. I have a couple friends who will research if the Internet walks the walk. One big issue is that it is only open from 8 to 8 during the week. Not ideal for online work.

It also looks like it is geared to the under thirty crowd who will save the world with their apps. There is a similar place near me in Medellin which does not allow us old folks the opportunity to mingle with the future Zuckerbergs. I am thinking in the Philippines that money talks, but I will investigate that too and share.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience using speedify.com solution to better Internet? I have an American friend in Cebu who recommended it to me if I were to return as regards my question above. He teaches online and seems to feel that it is worth the investment, including the investment in different Internet access technologies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: