Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Edinburgh: EFL Programs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish Accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37lM4O4BcNA
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some went there for postgraduate study and struggled for the first term.

If your students had little or no exposure to Scottish English before visiting Edinburgh, it's hardly surprising that they initially found it difficult to understand the locals. As I said earlier, I had the same experience when I first arrived in Spain. Unlike you, I didn't blame the local people.

Quote:
While upper-class and well educated Edinburghers speak a very understandable English, much of the population - including many in service positions - can be quite difficult to understand.

Yes, let's add a bit of class snobbery to the discussion.

Quote:
I'd go for somewhere with a more neutral local accent in this case if it were an option.

I suggest the factory where HAL 9000 was assembled.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unlike you, I didn't blame the local people

Where did I ever say I blamed the locals?

According to the sociolinguistic research into phonology in Scottish English first conducted by A.J. Aitken (1981) and later by Romaine (1982) and Scobbie et al( 1999)

' Generally there is a shift in Scottish English in formal situations or with individuals of a higher social status. The speech of the middle classes in Scotland tends to conform to the grammatical norms of the written standard, particularly in formal situations'.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Locals Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did I ever say I blamed the locals?

Quote:
I spent a year living in Edinburgh and for the first 6 weeks or so I totally struggled to follow the local accent.

Perhaps you weren't trying hard enough to understand them.

Quote:
The speech of the middle classes in Scotland tends to conform to the grammatical norms of the written standard, particularly in formal situations'

As does that of the middle classes in England. Doubtless in other English speaking countries as well.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Locals Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:

Quote:
I spent a year living in Edinburgh and for the first 6 weeks or so I totally struggled to follow the local accent.

Perhaps you weren't trying hard enough to understand them.

How does that make any sense? She's said she spent the first 6 weeks struggling with it! How does that equate to not trying hard enough to understand? Confused
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Sense and Sensibility Reply with quote

Sarcasm, dear boy.

It takes time to get used to new accents and vocabulary. According to Dedicated, Edinburgh is a particularly tough nut to crack. I disagree, but there's no arguing with wilful ignorance.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...there's no arguing with wilful ignorance

Who exactly are you addressing ?
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Address Reply with quote

Quote:
Who exactly are you addressing ?

You, exactly.

I'll try one more time: language learners with no previous exposure to a particular accent need time to become accustomed to it. Sending students to York, Exeter, Brighton, Chester, Bournemouth or Liverpool instead of Edinburgh will make no difference if they (the students) have had no exposure to the accents of those areas.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: