Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

options without a Masters?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dackinator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: options without a Masters? Reply with quote

After 6 years in poorly paid european/asian countries, I was wondering if I would qualify for a nicely paid middle eastern job?

I see a lot of adverts, but most ask for a Masters or DELTA which I dont have. I do have 3 years working with British Council which perhaps counts for something. I really should have taken their funded delta... but I couldnt bear all the additional paperwork they required.

I wouldn't mind ending up in the middle of the desert, as it would just be for money. People who have been recruited there, or recruiters, do you think it's still possible for me to find a place? I'm just not sure how the supply/demand is.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably be on around 12,000 SR in Saudi Arabia. This would be working for an unreliable employer in a shack in the desert. Yes, once you get a Delta, an MA, or you have 10 years of teaching experience your salary will jump up a bit.

You would need more experience in the ME to be a direct hire at a university. Maybe have a look at the College of Excellence programs and work for a company like Laureate Vocational? They are not great but better than the EdExs/ICEATs/Hussans of this world.................
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: options without a Masters? Reply with quote

It's unclear what you mean by "nicely paid," but it's likely to be more than what you're presently earning. Those Saudi positions posted on the Cafe's job board will give you an idea of what you'd get in KSA with an unrelated BA, CELTA, and X number of years of experience. Although most of those ads indicate a salary range, don't expect to hit anything more than the low end of the scale. There seem to be fewer opportunities for applicants who lack a TEFL-related BA, so your pickings are slim compared to a couple of years ago. The rest of the GCC generally requires a related MA + 2-3 years of experience. (A Delta wouldn't have bumped up your chances for those better-paying spots because it's not an academic qualification.)

Not good news, but you'll get something in Saudi Arabia. Just be sure to research the employer since there are some stinkers out there.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

My advice is to go for oil and gas and military contractors. The money is generally way better than the unis and they realize that all the academic stuff is mostly irrelevant when teaching lower levels of non-academic learners.

All that VARK, blended learning, TEFL jargon-type nonsense gets kicked into touch.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you have 2-3 years experience teaching in an institute of further/higher education, and your BA is English language or literature related, you could try Oman's colleges of either Technology or applied science. They are always looking for people who are prepared to accept positions at the interior institutions.......where there is almost nothing to do outside work! Confused
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was that employers say they want an MA but that the market does not always deliver. Even with a BA and a CELTA you can get decent jobs in KSA. Many teachers at KFUPM have no MA.

Try them

www.kfupm.edu.sa

or

www.dccc.edu.sa

(the affiliated Community College in Dammam)
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 3600 US a month with TATI in Oman.
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If HCT continues in its predicted and predictable death spiral, I contend that soon enough, they will be receptive to the idea!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can get 3600 US a month with TATI in Oman.

That number is all inclusive; wages are about $2900 USD of that amount. Regardless, TATI requires a related degree.
MartinEFL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: no Reply with quote

I have a music degree + TEFLA +pgce and I have got two Saudi employers interested. TATi not interested. one is a university as well (PMU)
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: options without a Masters? Reply with quote

dackinator wrote:
After 6 years in poorly paid european/asian countries, I was wondering if I would qualify for a nicely paid middle eastern job?

I see a lot of adverts, but most ask for a Masters or DELTA which I dont have. I do have 3 years working with British Council which perhaps counts for something. I really should have taken their funded delta... but I couldnt bear all the additional paperwork they required.

I wouldn't mind ending up in the middle of the desert, as it would just be for money.

I would!

How about working for the BC in the Gulf?

Is there no happy medium where the MA/Deltaless can earn something reasonable?

Last edited by bule_boy69 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
dackinator wrote:

I wouldn't mind ending up in the middle of the desert, as it would just be for money.

How about working for the BC in the Gulf?

I doubt the BC 's salaries are on par with what Gulf employers pay.

bule_boy69 wrote:
Is there no happy medium where the MA/Deltaless can earn

Sure, but you're pretty much limited to Saudi Arabia. If you have a teaching license/cert in line with your BA and experience, you might qualify for international school positions.
sauditeech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Is China and Korea that poorly paid then? I thought you could earn good money in those countries. Mind you it's not as much as Saudi offer. There's about £1000 a month more you can get in Saudi compared to Asia I think.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

sauditeech wrote:
Is China and Korea that poorly paid then? I thought you could earn good money in those countries.

You'd have to ask on those forums.
bigdurianthesecond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
My advice is to go for oil and gas and military contractors. The money is generally way better than the unis and they realize that all the academic stuff is mostly irrelevant when teaching lower levels of non-academic learners.

All that VARK, blended learning, TEFL jargon-type nonsense gets kicked into touch.

+1.

That is where the money is. Probably difficult to go straight into that. But get any job first and find your feet. Network, and move on.

It's not your first job in Saudi that matters, it's your last....

My two hallallah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: